Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

cockney farmer

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by cockney farmer »

And even more frustrating when I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Westfield which is just past the Cow which I do when the Mrs comes to a game and combines it with a shopping expedition
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

The barriers are up because of the minority.

This is just moaning for the sake of it in my opinion.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

wildkard wrote: The only time not being able to cut through Westfield has really been a problem for me is when my daughter had a broken ankle. Other than that, no big deal.
A broken ankle is easy to spot . the gatekeeper's job would be easy .

What about those with a bad back for whom walking long distances is excruciatingly painful ? What about those with gout ? Pregnant ?
Selective admission endorses the policy .

For WHUISA to seek a badge scheme legitimises Westfields behaviour .

Supporters that travel have to put up with this sort of **** all over the place, a spot of kettling here, a lock in there , a dash of "held back for your own safety" in between , and I for one don't want to accept it at "home" matches .
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

carnage wrote:The barriers are up because of the minority.

This is just moaning for the sake of it in my opinion.
As they were also up during the athletics it's not about the minority. It's simply the amount of people. And as has been said: it's not like Westfield are actually stopping people from entering the shopping centre.
danny faithless
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danny faithless »

I personally don't go anywhere near Westfield and those poxy signs. Took us half the season but we've now found pubs that suit us and an easy way to get in and out. I think more people will start to explore new routes this season and find a way that suits. However if you need/choose to use Stratford you absolutely should be allowed. It's a basic human right.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

danny faithless wrote:I However if you need/choose to use Stratford you absolutely should be allowed. It's a basic human right.
I don't think it's a human right , but to be allowed to follow a route that was clearly designed for ease of access to the Athletics stadium would be courteous and by extension , exclusion from it's use, discourteous and for a number of people extremely awkward .

As another poster stated , treat me as an animal and I'll behave like one .Treat me with respect and I'll reciprocate .

If they wish to encourage supporters to use the long route they ought to erect some sort of covered walkway to provide at least basic shelter against the elements : they've erected similar structures in the confines of the shopping area so they know what the job is .

Is it really beyond the capability of WHU, E20, Westfields to get their heads together and work out that 57,000 people don't want to be herded through the pissing rain and a howling gale for a mile and a quarter ?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

It really isn't Westfield's responsibility to cater for football fans getting from stratford to the stadium. Their shopping centre was planned before the stadium. Why woukd thy want x thousands amount of people walking through with no intention of buying anythin? From their point if view that just makes the shopping experience worse for those who are using it for the purpose it was built

Blame the club, but not Westfield. When I used to go via stratford station (I go hackney wick now or walk via east village) i always cut through the shopping centre anyway so it is possible to do
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:It really isn't Westfield's responsibility to cater for football fans getting from stratford to the stadium.
The WCW 1966 walkway , sponsored by Westfield shopping centre .

That's a PR success .

f*** off you 'orrible oiks .

That's a PR disaster .
Crouchend_Hammer

Not sure it is a PR disaster pissing off a few people who will never visit it anyway.
As someone said it seems the barriers were in place for Athletics and will likely be in place for Rugby League or whatever else is played there

From their point of view why would they want x 000s of people cutting through to a stadium they did not know was going to be there, or if they did, certainly not in use every other week?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:From their point of view why would they want x 000s of people cutting through to a stadium they did not know was going to be there, or if they did, certainly not in use every other week?
1. They knew the stadium was going to be there .
2.Their professional advisers would have told them the likelihood of it being used frequently .
3.As a major company , and one that has to get along with the local council for all sorts of reasons , the same council that is one part of E20 , it is in their interest to meet their CSR and work with other businesses in the area, not against .
4.Who knows, make them feel welcome and they may go into a shop and buy something ?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2008 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

the pink palermo wrote:Here's another one to wake Westfield up.

Go into the shopping centre and pop into one of the well known High Street supermarkets that are in there , take a trolley and start shopping , or rather start filling your trolley , all the way to the brim , clear the shelves of the supermarket .

Proceed to the checkout ......and announce you have left your wallet at home and due to the barriers you will have to go the long way around to go home and get it .For maximum effect let them process your goods through the till, put them in bags , and then discover your unfortunate mishap .

250 "shoppers" in each supermarket doing that would cause carnage and take the shop hundreds of man hours to refill the shelves and cost them £thousands in sales .

Not your fault you forgot your wallet though is it ?
Dont ask people to do things you wouldn't do yourself Pinks.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Dont ask people to do things you wouldn't do yourself Pinks.
WHEAC, they're not entirely serious suggestions , nor would I expect a single person to do either simply because I have made a couple of posts .

They are illustrative posts to highlight that if Westfield think they are the only ones that can act as complete arseholes then they're wrong .

The point being we can all do it but as decent people we choose not to , Westfield on the other hand have no compunction about treating us as undesirable elements , yet many on here seem to think it's quite alright for them to do so .

Why should we accept being treated as second class citizens ? If they don't want people to take those routes build a permanent barrier that stops everyone from doing so .

BTW, I'd happily partake in either of the suggestions I've made on here , they're peaceful acts that would cause inconvenience to others but not much real harm .Both though are quite irritating , much like being forced to take a crap route to the stadium .
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

the pink palermo wrote:
Is it really beyond the capability of WHU, E20, Westfields to get their heads together and work out that 57,000 people don't want to be herded through the pissing rain and a howling gale for a mile and a quarter ?
I believe that it only rained at the Man City game; the only one that I missed last season. So, as far as I'm concerned their weather control is fantastic.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

the pink palermo wrote:
WHEAC, they're not entirely serious suggestions , nor would I expect a single person to do either simply because I have made a couple of posts .

Now you tell me, just spent the last three hours barricading myself into Waitrose.
My case comes up on Tuesday week.
So much for solidarity.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Like you shop in ****ing Waitrose :D
east_ham

Post by east_ham »

Does anyone know why the entrance to the Greenway (Sewer Bank) from the A118 is still closed?
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by clawhammer »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Crouchend_Hammer

Will you still have a problem with it if Rugby fans also have to walk the long way round?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

It's a great atheltics stadium for the big events

GB Winning the 4 X 400m
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4266 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

It's a beautiful night Stadium. The roof and floodlights are unparalleled.

But when it's 3pm on a Saturday, it's drab and soulless. Though I still feel like the club/whoever is in charge can do more to make it better. Advertising covering the grey concrete is just one small thing that clearly makes it look better.