Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DDHammer

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by DDHammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote:It's a beautiful night Stadium. The roof and floodlights are unparalleled.

But when it's 3pm on a Saturday, it's drab and soulless. Though I still feel like the club/whoever is in charge can do more to make it better. Advertising covering the grey concrete is just one small thing that clearly makes it look better.
Agreed, it's why I like the Friday night games coming up.

According to Ex the concrete next to the screens will have digital advertising on now.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

I wonder what the demographic is for those who find what GSB have done unforgivable. Is it ST holders who had spent 30+ years going to the Boleyn? Would a Cup win and good league finishes make those people accept it?

I was never a ST holder at the Boleyn, my social life always took priority, another main factor was I didn't have one mate who supported West Ham, they were all Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool or Man United. I went to games probably 2 or 3 times a season at the Boleyn so I never had the attachment to the place that the life long ST holders did.

I'm 27 now so decided to grab a ST on my own this year, will pretty much be travelling to every match alone, I've cared for West Ham as much as the next person since I was little, does it make me less of a supporter if I'm happy with the move because the Boleyn wasn't as special to me as it was others?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I'm around the same age as you DDHammer. I don't really believe that there's such a thing as less or more of a supporter, at least in general as I think it would be a bit cruel and out of order to say to someone "you don't love West Ham as much as me and I can prove it by this metric". You never know the reason why each individual person may or may not go to games. Perhaps they can't afford it. Or they have nobody to go with. Or they have a bird at home who subconsciously emasculates them and has knocked the idea on the head before it could even be broached.

So no, you are absolutely allowed to be happy with the move for whatever reasons you have or lack of affiliation with the old place. All that being said, hopefully you also have respect for those that are unhappy and have their reasons too. I'm sure you do as I'm sure most people do and it's a shame to see the admittedly few that say "if you don't like it, you know what to do, don't go." That seems like a callous thing for someone to say to another person who loves West Ham and loved the Boleyn so much more than what they may perceive to be an inferior experience.

On my part, I've been a season ticket holder for as long as I can remember, bar university years and earlier years when my family were practically living in poverty and my Dad could only manage to bring us sporadically. God knows how he even did it once looking back but as a kid you don't think about that and just fall in love with the Boleyn.

This year will be the first year I don't go to games. Last year was unenjoyable and it had very little to do with how bad we were. I decided I don't want to give any more money to the club.

I'm hoping it's a classic case of karma this year and that the year I don't have a ticket is the year we demolish the league. Though that wouldn't be karma, because I would ****ing love it.
PC Hammer

Post by PC Hammer »

The barriers should be up for every sporting event at the LS or none.

Westfield should publish their reasons for the use of the barriers.

We as fans are inconvenienced every home match while people at other sporting events are only going occasionally so are likely to accept the hassle as part of the day.

That is the reason why many are hacked off as it happens all the time to us.

The reputation of a football fan is far worse than any other sport but in fact it is a very small minority that caused / causes the trouble. That also upsets a huge number of decent Hammers fans.

A direct route is needed to / from the station avoiding the shopping centre but will not happen due to cost.

The board use their cars to get to / from the ground - a privilege very few fans have now. They just do not know about this situation as they bypass it all the time.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

PC Hammer wrote:
The board use their cars to get to / from the ground - a privilege very few fans have now. They just do not know about this situation as they bypass it all the time.
They know about it and don't care.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... m-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We are close to securing a London Living Wage for all stadium staff. We'd be one of the only clubs in English football to do so.
We called for this months ago:

#2: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=130625
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Not saying it's right but I am sure the logic for it being open for athletics is they do not all leave the ground at the same time , I know the barriers were up for the recent Robbie Williams concert , no I didn't go before you ask it was a mate whose a spurs fan lol, I don't think the barriers were to prevent marauding RW fans from wrecking The Cow or to prevent mass shoplifting by rampaging 40s something women
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Athletics once in a generation?

http://m.bbc.com/sport/athletics/40915921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

cockney farmer wrote:Not saying it's right but I am sure the logic for it being open for athletics is they do not all leave the ground at the same time , I know the barriers were up for the recent Robbie Williams concert , no I didn't go before you ask it was a mate whose a spurs fan lol, I don't think the barriers were to prevent marauding RW fans from wrecking The Cow or to prevent mass shoplifting by rampaging 40s something women
Barriers were up when we left the athletics yesterday after the morning session and then again after the evening session. Most people do leave at the same time and last night, getting back to Stratford station at the end was as bad as I've ever experienced it after a West Ham game.
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

Doc H Ball wrote:Athletics once in a generation?

http://m.bbc.com/sport/athletics/40915921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I heard this guy on Radio 5 this morning. He said that the only major thing wrong with the London Stadium was that it took too long to swap the seats over from athletics to football. His view was that it would be far cheaper to solve the problems with the London stadium than build a new one in Birmingham or Liverpool
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Luckily, we can veto it if it impacts on the football season.

Lady Brady said so.
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Luckily, we can veto it if it impacts on the football season.

Lady Brady said so.
Lady Brady says a lot of things.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

If cities have to bid for these games, how can they use a stadium not in their city? :?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Rocketron wrote:If cities have to bid for these games, how can they use a stadium not in their city? :?
My local country park was used for the Olympic bike events in 2012.
uptonspark
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by uptonspark »

And the Isle of Wight was used for the sailing, a few non London venues were used due to various reasons. But surely the stadium is the focal point of any games and therefore should be in the host city?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

How do we leave the Commonwealth ? Seriously this poxy stadium is a stain on the Nation, if Kim Jung whatever his name is wants a second target once he's dropped the big one on Guam I'd like to advance the LS as a candidate .Providing he pulls his finger out none of us will get hurt as we will all be at Away games .
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

First target should be his hairdresser
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

There has been a steady drum beat over the last couple of weeks for holding more annual events at the stadium in Stratford.

World Para Athletics Championships chiefs floated the idea of holding those championships every time in London, rather then taking it around the world with the IAAF championship.

The outgoing UKA chairman talking up the commonwealth games bids from Birmingham and Liverpool using the Stratford stadium
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/athletics/40915921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seb Coe when interviewed by the BBC yesterday said that athletics was a global sport but you can never say never to the event being hosted by London again before long.

With a contract to play football between august and may and to have the stadium configured for such, you can only hold events like both rugby codes during that period of time. May they want to put concerts on so have to configure again and then configure for athletics with the UK athletics tenancy agreement. Then back for football.

The championship window as the agreement between WHUFC and LLDC states is ending. There are no further agreements in place for any events that would have a knock on on those contracts WHUFC and UKA hold.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Double post
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

uptonspark wrote:And the Isle of Wight was used for the sailing, a few non London venues were used due to various reasons. But surely the stadium is the focal point of any games and therefore should be in the host city?
There is no way that the likes of Birmingham and Liverpool would bid for the commonwealth games and hold the main event somewhere else.
Its just not going to happen, unless of course Lord Coe is put in charge.