Southampton 3-2 West Ham Utd (19/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Re: Southampton vs West Ham United match thread

Post by rciron »

HammerAl wrote:I love Slav but it is worrying that he still doesn't know his best XI. I know he's had to deal with all the injuries and player unrest last season but I'm just not convinced he would know his best team with a fully fit squad at his disposal. I found the changes to the team today a little knee-jerk and seemed to hang a few players out to dry. Players can't be judged on that first game against Utd and should really have been given another chance to prove themselves, especially against a "lesser" opposition who had not scored at home for several hours. We need some fitness, confidence and consistency and the only way to get that is by playing a settled team. Masuaku has only had two bad games since he joined us, Obiang was our best midfielder last season & was replaced by an 18 year old CB and Fernandes is a young player that hasn't ever played regularly and should now be ready for push on. I'm not Ogbonna's biggest fan but he should have been given more chances after coming back from injury and signing a new contract (I know he started but that was only due to the Reid injury). I would completely understand if big changes were made 5 or 6 games into the season and we kept getting battered, but to change the team that much after losing to the possible future champions was a bit extreme for me.
:thup: good post ,but poor old Slav, damned if you do, damned if you dont
darklake

Post by darklake »

Went to the match yesterday, first have to say the support was unbelievable, couldn't hear hardly anything from Southampton other than a couple of times when the saints, rest of the 90 mins we were so loud, took my daughter to her first away match, she couldn't believe the noise and loved the songs.
Match of the day coverage was just wrong, until their first goal we were the better team and created chances of which Arnautovic should have scored at least one. Their first goal was poor by Fonte and not totally convinced Hart couldn't have done better. The penalty was a clear penalty, pull back by Fonte. Tadic challenge on Hernandez was horrific, can't believe MOTD chose to ignore that, deserved to go. Think Arnautovuc got wound up by the elbow challenge but no excuse to do what he did, deserved to get red. Noble lucky to get away with the challenge on Lemina but thought the reaction bouncing the ball off his back was hilarious though again stupid as could have had a card for that as well. Thought we then got to grips with having a man short and again looked the better team got back level then not for the first time decided to sit back and try and hold on, to me this never works, created more pressure and the penalty though I think 75%of the time it wouldn't have been given. In all I felt we were unlucky and left the ground feeling positive about the season. Almost forgot the clear hand all, no question that should have been a penalty.
Left the ground feeling really positive about the season, certain we'll be around 7th.
Never felt confident about Hart and the penalties, just didn't think he'd save them, always believe Adrian may save penalties and believe he would have got at least one of them. Thought Zabelleta was good, Ogbanna ok, Fonte poor, Creswell ok, Rice and Noble ok, Ayew poor, Arnautovic let everyone down, Hernandez excellent and for me Antonio was miles ahead of everyone on the pitch.
Think Carvalho and Kouyate improve us big time in midfield and defence, Lanzini for Ayew huge improvement going forward. We're ok
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Good post darklake :thup:

I wonder if the result and moments of madness would've been different if this fixture was played at home like originally intended...

When all of our players come back, we are well stocked going forward but still woefully weak defensively. It's annoying that the first few games are a write off dealing with these problems.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

darklake wrote:Went to the match yesterday, first have to say the support was unbelievable,
Left the ground feeling really positive about the season, certain we'll be around 7th.
Never felt confident about Hart and the penalties, just didn't think he'd save them, always believe Adrian may save penalties and believe he would have got at least one of them. Thought Zabelleta was good, Ogbanna ok, Fonte poor, Creswell ok, Rice and Noble ok, Ayew poor, Arnautovic let everyone down, Hernandez excellent and for me Antonio was miles ahead of everyone on the pitch.
Think Carvalho and Kouyate improve us big time in midfield and defence, Lanzini for Ayew huge improvement going forward. We're ok
Thanks for a real honest report, which I agree with nearly completely, though with Our Club what we will finishin the league is a lottery!

Annoyed me the over reaction yesterday by some, one forum I read in the car after was calling for Billic to go now with Noble, this comes from armchair warriors many who may never have played professional football or managed,

There are some positives, like you Hart does not inspire me, why did City send him out on loan? Adrian always seems to communicate better with his defence, on to the cup match this week now.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Great day out yesterday, our support was top notch as usual. Watched that equaliser again on MOTD and saw the scenes in the away end, absolute bedlam - the fans will always be the life of the club. Shame Austin had to ruin it at the end but I think the result was probably overall fair.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I do get annoyed that some players eg Obiang, Masuaku, Byram are quickly dropped if they have a bad game. Whereas others are picked week in week out no matter how bad they play or how long they've been off form. You have to be consistent. That was Masuaku's first bad game for a while for us. Same with Obiang if you exclude pre season. Either have a rule where players are dropped when off form and apply it to everyone - or decide on a best 11 and stick with them even through occasional spells of bad form.
darklake

Post by darklake »

Think the signing of Carvalho is very important this will make it a lot easier on back four, a fit Reid and Ogbanna being protected by Carvalho in front of them would be good and Kouyate beside Carvalho would be very good. Fonte maybe needs games but maybe he's finished at this level, dont think we can afford to give him games, Collins will have good games and bad games, he's back up at best. Do need another central defender but think theyd have to sell Fonte first and cant see that happening, just have to hope this injury to Reid isnt serious and by some miracle he then manages to stay fit. Also dont believe we can play both Ayew and Arnautovic, they just dont do enough, Fernandes looked a big upgrade on Ayew yesterday when he came on. I would sell Ayew, i know he was good at Swansea and Marseille but i cant remember anything here especially good, i always think he could do more, sure we could get better for less money than we'd get for him.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

darklake wrote:Fernandes looked a big upgrade on Ayew yesterday when he came on.
Fernandes always seems to play well when coming on as sub - but doesn't seem to have much impact when starting. I'd keep him as a squad player rather than first 11 for now
darklake

Post by darklake »

I agree with Fernandes off the bench, also think best 3 is Antonio, Lanzini, Arnautovic, just think they need to find a way to get more from Arnautovic, also need to keep him away from free kicks and corners
rciron

Post by rciron »

Despite negatives yesterday, at 2-1 and leading up to the equalizer, what a fantastic effort by our travelling support, this what has and always will sets us apart from other clubs, deffo had an impact on the team, as seen at the end, with their acknowledgement, every man Jack and boy and his wife up and going for it, willing the team on, hairs on the back of your neck time, the soton mob just in awe of us, sadly luck was not with us, but the best bit of the day for me, well done everyone :crest:
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Same old same old. West Ham don't get the rub of the green. West Ham have their best players injured. West Ham are unlucky right at the death. We had one surprisingly good season when Payet came here (who we couldn't hold onto) and now we're back to being shitty little West ham again. Soft underbelly. Rubbish at the back. It's never been any different has it? I honestly thought we'd turned a corner a couple of years ago but now I've realized that it was only because we had Payet
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

After watching and reflecting on the game this morning, the officials basically saw every transgression by us, one red and two penalties but missed all of theirs, Tadic should have been off and we should have had a penalty! Also I don't actually think Arnautovic' foul was as bad as it's been made out, I do actually think he meant it as pressure but misjudged the height of his arm. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt anyway and say it wasn't malicious. Plenty of positives from the game, Hernandez is the goal scorer we've needed, Antonio is amazing, great spirit etc. But we need a holding midfielder and a centre back still, no doubt. We also need to start games with more energy.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

we need players who can move to receive the ball and pass it, and a manager who can get them to do so. yesterday we were crap for the majority of the game. Soton are pretty average and out passed us, outrun us.
I don't mind not spending gazzilions of pounds of players, I do mind us not playing football and relying on Antonios strength and speed and Cheecha's goalscoring. Slav, at the moment, is making Big Sam look like Rinus Michels.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

rciron wrote:Despite negatives yesterday, at 2-1 and leading up to the equalizer, what a fantastic effort by our travelling support, this what has and always will sets us apart from other clubs, deffo had an impact on the team, as seen at the end, with their acknowledgement, every man Jack and boy and his wife up and going for it, willing the team on, hairs on the back of your neck time, the soton mob just in awe of us, sadly luck was not with us, but the best bit of the day for me, well done everyone :crest:
Exactly. The West Ham travelling support were magnificent, Being in a hospitality stand courtesy of my saints supporting family, I could not join them but they drowned out the home support who could only find their voices after the second penalty with a few muggy chants of who are yer? The ten men of West Ham outplayed the twelve men of Southampton. Give me the company of the away support any time, You guys were magnificent. Proud to be a Hammer :
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Newcastle losing 1-0 to Huddersfield. Essentially still have a championship team. Haven't won any games. Haven't scored any goals. I suppose we're the perfect opposition to kick start their season next week!
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

I am trying to keep things in perspective here. We were beaten by a very, very good Manchester United side who followed it up with a 4-0 drubbing of Swansea who were at home. We get a man needlessly sent of yet pulled it back to 2-2 with only 10 men. Tadic should have seen red (although to be fair so should Noble) and the Referee had a brain fart and gave them a last minute fortuitous penalty. We have a striker who can score and a right back who can, surprise, surprise play right back. Antonio is back and played well. Some others to come back as well. I think Arnautavic will return much more determined to impress. So, I will reserve judgement until at least after game 6. Disappointed that we lost our first two games, but too early to panic.
rciron

Post by rciron »

Diogenes wrote:I am trying to keep things in perspective here. We were beaten by a very, very good Manchester United side who followed it up with a 4-0 drubbing of Swansea who were at home. We get a man needlessly sent of yet pulled it back to 2-2 with only 10 men. Tadic should have seen red (although to be fair so should Noble) and the Referee had a brain fart and gave them a last minute fortuitous penalty. We have a striker who can score and a right back who can, surprise, surprise play right back. Antonio is back and played well. Some others to come back as well. I think Arnautavic will return much more determined to impress. So, I will reserve judgement until at least after game 6. Disappointed that we lost our first two games, but too early to panic.
:thup: good post bang on
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

TommyHammer wrote:Newcastle losing 1-0 to Huddersfield. Essentially still have a championship team. Haven't won any games. Haven't scored any goals. I suppose we're the perfect opposition to kick start their season next week!
And what if we lose that? We all know that when you are on a bad run, haven't scored any goals the best tonic is to play West Ham!!!
darklake

Post by darklake »

I'm guessing all these "we were crap yesterday" posters were'nt at the game and watched it on MOTD
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

There are very few, if any posts, which just say we were crap. I see lots of posts where people are being critical of certain aspects of the game or players performances.