Southampton 3-2 West Ham Utd (19/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Re: Southampton vs West Ham United match thread

Post by 'stone hammer »

Sh*t result. Good performance barring Arnie. It's clear we're missing Lanzini.

So glad to see Antonio back, I was gutted to see him go off as I thought he was our best player, assuming it was a precaution.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

darklake wrote:I'm guessing all these "we were crap yesterday" posters were'nt at the game and watched it on MOTD
There weren't hardly any. Just that certain players keep dropping the rest of the team in the mire.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Taking off Antonio at that point ended any chance of us getting anything from the game, i know he was a) Knackered B) had a slight knock on his thigh but he was winning nearly all the flick on's to Hernandez and his physical presence was giving them something to think about and they were dropping off scared Hernandez got in behind.
he was along with Chicarito our best players.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

61dicksey wrote:Taking off Antonio at that point ended any chance of us getting anything from the game, i know he was a) Knackered B) had a slight knock on his thigh but he was winning nearly all the flick on's to Hernandez and his physical presence was giving them something to think about and they were dropping off scared Hernandez got in behind.
he was along with Chicarito our best players.
two things:

i: i haven't been as enamoured with antonio as many but he was outstanding yesterday. seems to fare better through the middle though.

ii: we scored a few minutes after he came off, with his subs directly involved in it.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

'stone hammer wrote:Sh*t result. Good performance barring Arnie. It's clear we're missing Lanzini.

So glad to see Antonio back, I was gutted to see him go off as I thought he was our best player, assuming it was a precaution.
I think he was ****ed - that tackle on him when he finally got up and walked away like Douglas Bader finally took its toll.

Hopefully he'll be recharged and ready to go next Saturday.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

the pink palermo wrote:He made two serious errors that season, the first was at home against, from memory, Bournemouth , he stopped tracking his man a yard too soon, and he scored .

6 points .

Personally I don't think Oxford is going to make it at the highest level .
Pinky, that's two serious errors in one season, how many serious errors have the current defensive unit made given we have shipped seven goals....... albeit midfield not helping either, jus sayin.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Just watched motd.

Correct call by ref in arnie, and both pens (just about on the second. Bit harsh). Our penalty shout could have gone either way.

Noble was a very luck boy not to get sent off. Absolute idiot. As for arnie. He's not impressing me so far. A double the price snodgrass.

Hernandez really did look the bees.

It's hard to rationalise just how anti fonte I am, but I am deffo just not impressed with him at all. snodgrass is similar, it was almost an instant dislike of the transfer.

very irritating game
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I don't see how people think our 'pen' was touch and go. He clearly lifts his elbow up to stop the ball.
Hatcham Iron
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

First half b atrocious but second half there was a bit of fight out there hopefully a sign of better things to come especially with lanzini and k to come back and hopefuly reid :crest:
Johnnyboy

Post by Johnnyboy »

Could watch that Cresswell ball in for Chichas second over and over. Absolute peach
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

it's a funny thing our defence. last year we were generally fairly solid in the middle but absolutely awful down the flanks. barely a game went by without someone getting in behind and cutting back to the penalty spot or picking out an unmarked runner. this season we've conceded 7 goals and all of them have come through the middle (except a free kick), despite both teams targeting our flanks ruthlessly.
StokeIrons
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

Bamber Gascoigne wrote: I think he was ****ed - that tackle on him when he finally got up and walked away like Douglas Bader finally took its toll.

Hopefully he'll be recharged and ready to go next Saturday.
Dunner fret, he'll be like a Hurricane next match. Watch him Spitfire against the Geordies
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

antonio should not featured against cheltenham this week. get him ready for newcastle
play him up top with hernandez

iron mic the first name on the sheet for me always 100% always creates something for us.
Patito

Post by Patito »

WoodgateHammer wrote:
Pinky, that's two serious errors in one season, how many serious errors have the current defensive unit made given we have shipped seven goals....... albeit midfield not helping either, jus sayin.

It wasn't over a whole season though he only started about 3/4 games for us and made errors in all of them IIRC.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Left the ground disappointed but not massively upset. Done very well to claw that back, at 2-0 down with 10men I was thinking it was gonna be an arse ****ing.

To put it into context, we are woefully short across the squad and have injuries on top of that. Maybe 5 another players needed.

Away from home, we are starting with 2 x luxury players in Ayew and Arnie. We have 3 forwards in the whole squad, 2 of which are injury prone and neither are currently fit. That for the 2nd week in a row we’re having to throw on Sakho speaks volumes for the squad depth. I’m not sure what people expect, yes its annoying to lose but we came out of that game with more credit. I’d be asking more questions of the opposition … surrendering a lead at home against 10 men and having to win by virtue of 2 x spot kicks.

Sending off was stupid, I’d fine him for that. Clear retribution for what Tadic did to him.

Antonio coming back from a lengthy lay off typically gave his all, could see he was shattered though. We lost our main CB in the warm –up.

Showed a lot of grit, determination and energy to get back in the game. Everyone apart from the selfish Arnie deserve credit.

Missed the infringement on the first pen, second one looked nailed onto me. Zab played well and I do like him but he’s going to be targeted this season as he was in the first half with Bertrand.

Hart’s kicking worries me, just not a natural with the ball at his feet. Never felt as if he was gonna save those pens.

Hernandez impressed. Was playing left back for the majority of the 2nd half, great attitude and work rate. Would love to see him and Carroll up front, Lanzini just behind …. Antonio out wide … very exciting.

Shame the 2 x fans that ran on pitch at the end weren’t set upon properly. The inflammatory behaviour was probably the wankiest, most infantile thing I’ve seen at football for a while. Hope the life time ban was worth it …. Beating 10 men with 2 pens. I’d be embarrassed and relieved if I was a saints fan and wouldn’t be celebrating like they’ve won the FA cup. Pathetic.

As always done there, it’s a good away. We always stay clear of Yates and all that malarkey. Was in Town Quay before after the game. Had to get back for girlfriends birthday dinner, I was pretty slaughtered in the end but it was an enjoyable day.

We are so short of players its untrue. Need 2/3 up front, another 2 in midfield and another CB. Cant keep on signing older players who need replacing almost as soon as we buy them. Bilic aint the prob – this board and their short sighted transfer strategy is the wider issue. Our net spend is f*** all and we’ve simply brought 3 x players we should have done last season, we won’t go down but the expectation of a top half finish is optimistic.

Last season we were above par for the squad we had, I don’t see a lot of difference this time round.
Estuary
Has liked: 274 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Whufc06 wrote:I don't see how people think our 'pen' was touch and go. He clearly lifts his elbow up to stop the ball.
The ref would have given it the other way round, he did with every other decision.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I wonder are there any stats out there to show how many games we have let in a goal in the last 3 mins of a game.

I would imagine we top that table by some distance.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

So much went against us on Saturday and although I don't want to sit here on Monday morning making up excuses for another loss, I do think a few on here should take into account just how unlucky we were. As many have said, over the full 90min there were plenty of positives to get excited about.

Losing a player like Reid in the warm up, having him stretchered off and no doubt laying in the dressing room getting treatment through the team talk will have undoubtedly caused a distraction. That said, there were still big question marks for Fonte, Hart, Noble, Rice and Ogbonna for the first goal for me.

The run came from deep, so there is an argument to say Nobes or Rice could/should have tracked it, passed him on or done more to shut down the initial ball out wide. Ogbonna is looking straight at the runner and although he is not really to blame, you have to question if his communication to Fonte was good enough as Fonte is not even aware of the runner until he is past him. From there on it is a horror show, Fonte turns like a bus and looks like he is running waist high in water. For me he could have gone to ground to try and block a far post shot at the vary least.
Hart is also beaten far too easily. It is a good run and finish to be fair to the forward, but it bobbled past Hart as opposed to flew past him.

Arnautovic was stupid. Simple as that. Can't put the blame for that on anyone but himself. He had looked threatening early on too. I do think the ref had let too much go in the build up to it, but throwing elbows is not the answer.

Their penalty is poor again from Fonte and Ogbonna in terms of communication. Both are miles away from the forward as it is played into him and from that point on it is panic stations. Fonte misses his tackle trying to recover then stupidly hooks the guy down. Very poor defending all round.
Again the ball in was played without any real pressure too so Rice needs to have a look at that and be a little tighter.

Gabiadini was given far too much room all afternoon. Again something that Noble and Rice need to be accountable for. Being allowed to line up 30 yard efforts from open play is not acceptable.

The 2nd pen was very harsh for me, even more so after we had an equally decent shout ignored.
Again Fonte is at fault because he has totally lost his man meaning that Zabaleta has to try and cover. Both players are running at pace, neither change their line and they come together. I absolutely agree that Zaba knew what he was doing and it is a push in the back so therefore a foul. But in the 93rd min of 94 I think it has to be something a lot more obvious to be given.

There is obviously a case for it as it was a push in the back, but by the same margin there was a case for ours because it was handball. I just don't think there would have been any real fuss made had the ref not given either. Both sides would have felt they could/should have had a pen but at least the whole outcome of the game would not have been changed.

To give their one but not give ours is where it becomes an utter joke for me. No consistency at all.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Watched the game on SKY, so I know not a 100% true reflection.

But I thought, yeah, ok, crappy to lose like that, but I saw enough to give me some confidence moving forward.

I did not realise how much we had missed iron Mike! As for our goal poacher, you could argue, at least one of the goals we would not have scored last year, massive positive having the lil fella up top.
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

considering we played for just under an hour with 10 men to come back to 2-2 showed grit and determination, shame we were the creators of our own downfall really.