Southampton 3-2 West Ham Utd (19/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rottiel

Re: Southampton vs West Ham United match thread

Post by rottiel »

Taking aside the end result and a few poor performances, that moment of pure elation and madness as the away end went mad after our second goal made the trip worthwile for me.

Easily pleased me :D
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

...can you imagine the scenes had a winner gone in for us??

we are not far off being a very good side, and it will all come together soon...
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

frankiemac wrote:
we are not far off being a very good side, and it will all come together soon...

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Keith Hackett not impressed by Mason's performance

Don't get excited, it's mainly for not sending off Noble.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Pretty fair there by Hackett I feel. Even a Noble-lover such as myself could have seen that being red and not been angry, but I feel karma gave him a break there for his super tackle red two years back. Mason was poor though. Harsh pen against us, their defender definitely moved his arm for what could have been ours.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Entertaining match - for all of the right and wrong reasons.

Arnautovic is apparently an idiot. Grow up.

Noble almost as bad - l thought it should have been a straight red. He should know better by now.

No complaints about either of the penalty shouts - fair do's.

Enjoyed the spirited comeback - finally it looks like we have a striker who knows where the back of the net is - first time since Bellamy/Ashton. Thank ****.

Overall, while I have real issues with our performance discipline-wise, we played the best we could with what we have for a good 60 minutes plus. (yes, I know all you budding Oscar Wildes will be furiously tapping away that the game lasts 90 etc).

Going forward, Reid present or not, I still prefer us to line up with a 3-5-2:Zabawhatsit and Masuaku will kill it as wing backs. And it has to be Antonio and our striker who knows where the back of the net is up front. If we have a fit Lanzini we'll have something entertaining to watch for a season of proper football.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

I'd handle 3-5-2 if Cresswell plays as the third centre back. He can step into midfield and his crossing from deep is one of our best weapons.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Wilko1304 wrote:I'd handle 3-5-2 if Cresswell plays as the third centre back. He can step into midfield and his crossing from deep is one of our best weapons.
Think that would be a disaster from a defensive point of view. He's physically weak, poor in the air, doesn't like to tackle, and extremely one footed. He's best out on the left blocking crosses and getting forward when he can.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

I'd certainly rather his mobility than three of our current centre backs in there. You'd hope he'd have cover by being the third man and not as exposed as in a two.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Wilko1304 wrote:I'd certainly rather his mobility than three of our current centre backs in there. You'd hope he'd have cover by being the third man and not as exposed as in a two.
But he lacks all the basic elements required to be a marking centre back, as Burnley says, he's weak, is totally one footed, cant/wont tackle, you need all that to play as a centre back if you don't want the guy in the middle of the three to have to come over and cover every time the ball comes up in the air on on his right side.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

I'm suggesting it form a position of disliking our current options and not wanting to lose his delivery in the side.

It's a far from ideal idea