EFLCR2: Cheltenham Town 0-2 West Ham Utd (23/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Cheltenham Town: match thread

Post by Upton Carp »

Collins MotM and deservedly so.

Rice looked like he'd been playing in the Prem for years. Assured, unhurried and competent.

Arthur's runs into the box...one day that'll come off and we'll be falling at his feet.

Creswell, apart from an early misplaced pass looked good.

All round decent performance, Nobes, Sako and Ayew excellent and the first two sensibly subbed in anticipation of Saturday.

Collins was a giant. Please play him instead of Jose at the barcode's

Solid defence and midfield of Byram, Ginge, Rice, Oggie, Obi, Fernandes and Cheik.

Cheltenham put us under a fair bit of pressure but Adrian hardly had to make a save.

All in all....Excellent, And first win of the season. :scarfer:
Julien Snow Bear
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Julien Snow Bear »

Upton Carp wrote:Creswell, apart from an early misplaced pass looked good.
Huh?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Upton Carp wrote: Creswell, apart from an early misplaced pass looked good.
Think you mean Byram??
Cresswell sat on the bench all night.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

e-20 wrote:So Bolton at home next. We nearly had a chance to see more of our youngsters play in the first team but one presumes they aren't allowed to play in cup games for Bolton it seems.
Burke played the full 90 minutes for Bolton against Crewe in round 1. I figure them missing out this round is rotation, Burke had only made a sub appearance before the Crewe game but has since played 90 minutes in each league game, while Cullen has finished every Championship match for them this season.

I think they can even play against us in the next round, if we give consent.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Chrissieboy wrote:A much needed win for morale and another run out for Rice. Good points. Bad points? Why play 4 central midfielders? Maybe Fernandes struggled because he wasn't needed? Another striker or winger would've been nice. Are we going to play against Newcastle with 4 centre midfielders, 1 winger and 1 striker? Bilic sometimes just seems to throw players on a pitch and hope for the best. Good to see Adrian get a run out and Byram. Very happy for Sakho and Ayew to get goals though I'd still be looking to offload Sakho and trying to get somebody in I could trust in body and mind. As per usual hope Sakho proves me wrong if he stays.
We've gone for 7 in our previous two games. 4 central midfielders that will all graft = clean sheet. No coincidence there mate, smart management. :thup:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Diafra Sakho and Andre Ayew were the goalscorers at Whaddon Road, each netting within the space of three minutes just before half-time with identikit finishes into the bottom left-hand corner.
Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... iJ1WT6p.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't had a chance to watch the highlights yet, but I'm really excited to discover what an identikit finish is.

As both goalscorers netted in such a unique fashion, it must be something they've been working on in the training ground.

:scarfer:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Both clinical instinctive finishes. And most important of all, they were both on target. Something we can't always say about our team in the past..
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

The cup draws for the "big" teams are a joke, I've long thought there's something dodgy about cup draws.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Just watched last night's goals and what impressed me most was Mark Noble's reaction [ and through ball ] to Diafra after he had scored his goal , made sure he was congratulated and wanted at West Ham - these are the things that sometimes go unnoticed and is an important side to being a Captain - well done Mark and Diafra .
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

For those who watched on TV last night, can you confirm if as part of the coverage they showed the directors area at Whaddon Road and if anyone from WHUFC was there representing the board and ownership?
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

both daves were there.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

sanchoz wrote:For those who watched on TV last night, can you confirm if as part of the coverage they showed the directors area at Whaddon Road and if anyone from WHUFC was there representing the board and ownership?
Kriss Akabusi and James Corden were there in an official capacity.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

sanchoz wrote:For those who watched on TV last night, can you confirm if as part of the coverage they showed the directors area at Whaddon Road and if anyone from WHUFC was there representing the board and ownership?
You're being harsh on them Sanchoz , it was a Wednesday night , a 100 mile trip, some of them A roads , against a 4th division side and there was the final episode of that programme on channel 4 (no spoilers please) .

Completely different to when none of them could be arsed when we played Man City a few seasons back .
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

I saw David Sullivan and David Sullivan jnr, and Geoff Hurst.
floydie_hammer
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by floydie_hammer »

Geoff Hurst was sitting in the row in front of sullivan, didn't see gold but wasn't looking out for him
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Sanchoz

Laffers on here took a snap of Gold's car in Cheltenham, so it's safe to assume he was in attendance.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Not the greatest opposition but a solid and professional display from our boys. The only disappointment for me was that Haksabanovic didn't get a run out last night. I would also have liked Quina to get longer on the pitch to impress. Before the game I was really looking forward to seeing Hax play but I guess 2-0 can be a dodgy score so Slav was probably right to not risk it. Hope we get to see him and a few more of the youngsters throughout the season though!
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Thanks for the confirmation. The cheese board must not have been to others preferences.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Colours never run wrote:Both clinical instinctive finishes. And most important of all, they were both on target. Something we can't always say about our team in the past..
I'm not sure either beats a competent keeper.