Newcastle Utd 3-0 West Ham Utd (26/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Re: Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Even though it's early in the season, it's a big game for both of us.

Watched a bit of Newcastle, some players seemed to be pulling out of tackles and not giving their all, we score first we win I think.

Draw isn't a disaster, but a loss and a bad vibe will start.
continental skills
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Nope, ten changes from their team that played against Huddersfield
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Or... for a defensively sound 4-2-3-1.

Hart.

Byram
Collins
Ogbonna
Cresswell

Obiang
Zabaleta

Antonio
Lanzini
Ayew

Hernandez
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

need to build momentum after last night and saints...despite the loss last saturday, we showed b*llocks to come back from 0-2 with 10 men, and if it wasnt for some shoddy refereeing, we would be chuffed and have 1 point on the board

nothing silly early doors, play an attacking formation, and get into them early...an early goal for us and i predict their crowd get on their backs and we could have a hatful!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

One of my main priorities for this match would be a repetition of last night's clean sheet. Obviously, the opposition is stronger, but it can't do any harm for the squad to be generally tighter in that part of the team. One way of making that a likelihood is, in my view, retaining Collins in the back four. He's often been in the defence when we've kept a rare clean sheet. He and Fonte are similarly aged and the latter perhaps needs to work his way back into contention after a poor display at Southampton.

I think, too, that on away trips, using Antonio and Masuaku as wide midfielders will pay dividends. We can spread the play and use them as back up / assistance as we go forward. Iron Mike's crossing seems to be improving and Arthur, whilst a bit of a liability defensively, seems to be able to beat a man and feed Hernandez.

I'm more inclined to look at a 4-1-4-1 set up, if Noble, Obiang and Rice are all going to start, with Rice on Operation Protect The Back 4 detail.

Hernandez must and will start.

We need to be careful around Gayle, who both loves a simulation, at the slightest contact, and is a bit of a dead-eyed poacher from close up.

Good to see that my favourite player is returning from injury. I am counting down the days until the window closes, personally. Manu and Kou can watch from the bench (alongside Adrian, Byram, Fernandez etc), take notes and come on to combine for a winner, if its all the same with you.

Prediction 1-2
3 deserved points that will keep the board's hands in their pockets concerning squad replenishment.
Jim Aldgate
Has liked: 20 likes

Post by Jim Aldgate »

Hart

Zabaleta
Collins
Rice
Cresswell

Antonio
Noble
Kouyate
Ayew

Sakho
Hernandez

Subs: Adrian, Ogbonna, Byram, Obiang, Lanzini, Fernandes, Carroll

Can't believe everyone is raving about Rice but no-one wants to give him a try in his proper position.

No need for 3 x centre backs against Newcastle. They've only got one Dwight Gayle up front. They could have 2.5 and it would still be a stroll in the park.

1-3 comfy victory & we're up & running
Hammer1972
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

I enjoyed it when we beat them 8-1 that time. We should do that again. Although maybe a clean sheet this time.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

I don't care who's in goal but, I'd like the outfield players to be ...

------------ Rice ------- Ginge ------ Oggy -------------
---------- Noble (with Chiek to get the last 30) ---------- Obiang ----------------
--- Byram -------------- Lanzini --------------- Cresswell ------
----- Antonio --------------------------------------
----------------------- Hernandez ---------------

However, I suspect Fonte and Zabaleta will get the nod, we'll play a back four and, undoubtedly concede a stupid goal.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

I really think we will get a result up there!! :scarfer:
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Best away pub for this one ?
M*A*R*C

Post by M*A*R*C »

Hammer1972 wrote:I enjoyed it when we beat them 8-1 that time.
I thought that was quite good too.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted

You are trolling and fishing on this forum, you know you are being edited and deleted and you continue to try and bait posters , please give it a rest
Roby
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Roby »

I thought ages ago when I saw our re-arranged fixtures that we'd get a draw from one of the first three away games and then best Huddersfield at home.

I still think that'll be the case so an away point on Saturday seems a likely outcome and suits both parties.

Hopefully Collins stays in the side, Hart to reclaim his place and the only real tricky choice is Creswell or Masuaku.

I reckon we'll see a shop window run out for AC to try and tempt Newcastle before the window shuts.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh calm down you lot!
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Peaches wrote:I don't think it helped them at all that hey had to play the extra 30 minutes of extra time, and lost. We on the other hand had a routine Victory even if we had a fairly long trip home. The victory should lift our mood and if we ge big Willy in that should give us a lift as well.
They made 10 changes from the side that played the previous weekend. So I doubt many of the team we play will have had 120 minutes...

I am sure we would have played a weaker team in the cup if we hadn't had to give them the home advantage... The chair man will have told slave not to go out against Cheltenham...
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

My main hopes for this one are that Kouyate starts, Adrian is in goal and we have Lanzini on for at least half an hour.

Reckon only the latter is likely of those though. Can see us losing narrowly 2-1 or possibly a 2-2 draw.
Longaz
Has liked: 1388 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Longaz »

-----------------------------------Hart---------------------------------

Zabaleta--------Collins--------Ogbonna---------Cresswell

------------------Obiang------Rice-------Kouyate-----------------------

--------Antonio----------Hernandez-----------Ayew------------

Adrian, Fonte, Byram, Masuaku, Noble, Lanzini, Sakho

Surely we won't lose.... Toon In turmoil, we've got a few returning and I just had a flash back to 98/99 0-3, Sinclair and Wright, can't remember who got a double. Anyway I'm going for a 3-1 win. COYI
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Have to get something from this.To be sat on 0 pts and bottom for 2 weeks would be a mini disaster.I think Bournemouth and Brighton will be both lose so we won't be alone but still, would then be massive pressure on Huddersfield game and they look very decent.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

detest Gayle but can't remember why, can someone remind me what he did a few years back? - convinced he got one of ours sent off but seem to remember him going off too?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'd take a 0-0 bore draw right now just to make sure we get off the mark and a point on the board. I don't wanna see yet another loss. No f*** ups at the back!