Newcastle Utd 3-0 West Ham Utd (26/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OFT
Has liked: 2994 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Re: Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by OFT »

Doc H Ball wrote:A good relegation scrap will show us who is staunch and who ain't.
the pink palermo wrote: Funnily enough Doc we had a similar chat on the way home , quite excited we were about there being most likely something on every game after Christmas , neatly avoiding the Curbs zone of mid table boredom .

I have the utmost respect for posters like yourselves and, as a non attender these days look forward to your after-match posts so in no way am I here for an argument
You're right about the relegation thing, it's a tester, but I now wonder if Slav is capable of even a 'good' relegation scrap, but only a 'bad' one,Regrettably it seems to me he cannot get the best of what is available to him. Perhaps you chaps see it differently every week, but (genuine question) do you really think even these owners are going to let this situation just roll on?
:crest:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

it amazes me how each game I think how slow and unfit we are ? are we the worst in the league, currently yes.
fernandez is a young player who bilic is playing anywhere and destroying his confidence. he tried with antonio and kouyate at RB last season but they told him enough is enough. fernandez is not old enough nor established enough to do so.

zabaleta still remains the fittest player at the club !

change of captain needed but who now reid is injured ? Hart is the only one I can think of ???
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

hammerman11 wrote:it amazes me how each game I think how slow and unfit we are ? are we the worst in the league, currently yes.
fernandez is a young player who bilic is playing anywhere and destroying his confidence. he tried with antonio and kouyate at RB last season but they told him enough is enough. fernandez is not old enough nor established enough to do so.

zabaleta still remains the fittest player at the club !

change of captain needed but who now reid is injured ? Hart is the only one I can think of ???
You'd make a bloke on a seasons loan captain of the club? Rightio
SXreject

Post by SXreject »

we now have pace and power in the side and yet we still did not have any balls knocked into space or channels behind their defence.

For the likes if Hernándes, Sakho and Antonio yesterday must have been the most frustrating day this season.

No production from wing backs or a very **** mid field who were using the ray Wilkins football manual as their guide yesterday. That Was The worst mid field display I have seen in years no creativity no running past players drawing people out.

Only once did Hernándes do this and he came back 50 yards to get the ball, he must be wondering what shower of **** he has joined.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

As soon as I saw the team sheet I thought the only way we'd win was if we held on until the subs came on.

No idea why Ayew and Fernandes started in the positions they did.

Sadly when the subs came on the damage was done and it looks like they weren't quite ready anyway.

Well done to Joe Hart for running up to Rice and consoling him.

Can't believe Obiang and Masuaku didn't start...they are vastly superior imo to players that started in their place.

we're excellent at passing backward though..still, going backwards is our clubs ethos.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

the pink palermo wrote:
Marky , we're all over the place , no consistency in selection, no regular system, no style of play , no game plan , honestly I cannot see what we are trying to achieve .

Yesterday there was not one single aspect of our game that I could , hand on heart, say didn't need work on the training ground .
cardiff here we come wrote:Disagree PP. You see all that & you still back Bilic? He has shown he is incapable of doing the job in the past 12 months. Poor, poor Manager that numerous posters on here were warning about.
the pink palermo wrote: One of my travelling companions from yesterday made an astute observation in so much as he felt we were signing players as a marketing exercise rather than what the team needed : recruiting to sell tickets for Stratford as opposed to them buying tickets to see a decent team gradually climbing the league table .
cardiff here we come wrote: Don't agree whatsoever. We have the squad + the players to be pushing the Top 8. Our victory over very good Sp*rs last season 1-0 proved we have the quality to beat the big teams.
the pink palermo wrote: In other words,a tourist has heard of Zabaleta and will go and watch him play rather than if we had signed a RB from the championship .The impact of that is we're turning into Dads Army , an ageing, slow group of players , all of whom have been heard of , but most of whom have had better days .
cardiff here we come wrote: These are Bilic signings. He has made us into Dads Army not the Board. Of course they would want younger players with the possibility of a bigger fee when we sell them on, if we do. Bilic has signed too many players that are no benefit to the team or any future transfer fee.
the pink palermo wrote: Who do you think you are kidding Mr Sullivan ?
Should be who you kidding Mr Bilic?

Brother in law of mine has gone to all 3 league matches + is £1200 out of pocket watching this sh*t show every week. Enough is enough.

Benitez, Fulham Manager or even Pardew. Anyone that can put players in their right position, organise us into a competent unit + improve our fitness.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: If you use the colour system to quote and reply can you please use a colour that contrasts sufficently
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

pardew - cheap option ?

howe - best option ?

rafa - in between option ?

bilic - easy option ?
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I didn't see any of the game but I see Fernandes played the show 90 mins.
How was he? I honestly can't work out what he does or what kind of player he is meant to be.
I know he is young and he isn't atrocious or anything, I just don't see what he does
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

did nothing but nor did anyone else in our midfield.

worse midfield 3 in the league

time to go defensive and respect the point against the mighty huddersfield.

cant see us beating this young hungry fit team

antonio lanzini kouyate sakho and reid should be fitter by this match

keep the faith COYIs
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Has to be some solid fitness stats to back up the exclusion of Obiang, Kouyate and Lanzini.

Had those three made the line up over Rice, Ayew and Fernandes that game would have been very different.

International break has come at a good time. Get everyone fit, get the poxy transfer window shut and get our season going.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Only just been able to bring myself to watch the highlights.

I was puzzled at the time of watching it as to how Rice was dispossessed but was then the one (along with Zab) who was desperately trying to salvage it as the goal was scored as I was sure that Ogbonna and Collins were between him and our goal when he lost it.

Just watching now, I am truly flabbergasted to see Ogbonna's role in it. He literally just stands about 15 yards outside our box and watches as the attack unfolds. He does not move until the ball is in the box and being pulled back by Atsu. Absolutely appalling defending.

Talk about ball watching. He may as well have been sitting in the stands!

And, talking of ball watching, the second was dreadful too. Ginge stands static watching as the ball is taken to the byline and is completely unaware of the forward coming in behind him leaving Zab effectively marking two men. Shocking.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

hammerman11 wrote:pardew - cheap option ?

howe - best option ?

rafa - in between option ?

bilic - easy option ?

Harry Redknapp ~ Dodgy option ?
continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Post by continental skills »

Truly shocking defending, in all three league games, with three different pairs of centre backs.

Manchester United scored four against us, they'll probably do that against others this season.
But to concede three against Southampton and Newcastle? Both of them have been unable to score in their other two games, they are now played three, scored three. Southampton without a home goal for over 500 minutes before playing us. Newcastle with only about one shot on target in two entire matches before playing us.
It's not the players, it's the way we're set up to defend. We don't close anyone down in midfield, we back off and give the other team space and time to do something effective with their possession. And when we have the ball, it's pass it around the back, move it out wide, back into the middle, across the back again and eventually back to Hart who then hoofs it upfield, to no-one in particular, generally giving away possession again. Yesterday was horrible to watch.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Watched MOTD to see if it got any better....it was even worse. Ogbonna half asleep, Noble meandering about, Fernandes totally lost on the left......just a shambles.

At least Hart went to Rice for the error and in typical Slav fashion he gets hauled at HT.

Newcastle could have won 6 nil and it would have been a fair result.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:Everyone wanting to see 2 centre backs and 2 central midfielders.

If we go with that we'll concede 2+ and drop more points.
It's cheap to say "I told you so..." but.......
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

I've been to Newcastle plenty of times and got home wondering why i bothered wasting my money and time on another 600 mile round trip but yesterday was as bad as it gets.

I remember going up there around the mid nineties and we got the same result as yesterday but were lucky not to lose 15-0. Sealey (RIP) was in goal and Potts got sent off. I think they had about 40 pops at our goal.

BUT, that was a fantastic Newcastle side, playing some brilliant football. The side we lost to yesterday was just a workmanlike very average PL side but one that made us look second best in every respect which makes the loss that much more hurtful (and worrying)

We had no idea how to defend, we had no idea how to attack (Hernandez must wonder wtf he joined us for) and they looked much fitter than us, which, as much as i like Bilic, makes me believe his time is up.

I have no idea who we could bring in , but something needs to change quickly otherwise we will find ourselves in a lot of trouble, and with that squad we shouldn't be in the bottom five of the PL.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

smuts wrote:Watched MOTD to see if it got any better....it was even worse. Ogbonna half asleep, Noble meandering about, Fernandes totally lost on the left......just a shambles.

At least Hart went to Rice for the error and in typical Slav fashion he gets hauled at HT.

Newcastle could have won 6 nil and it would have been a fair result.
Noticed that at the time and said to my son that it should be the Captain doing that but fair play to Hart for the way he ran 50 yards to speak to Rice.

If Oxford is any barometer we won't see Rice for a couple of seasons now if Slav stays in charge.
The Truth

Post by The Truth »

Iron George wrote: If Oxford is any barometer we won't see Rice for a couple of seasons now if Slav stays in charge.
Yep, another one sent to the gulag.
Vince
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Vince »

ShanghaiHammer wrote:Playing an 18 year old screams of desperation to be seen as clever.

One problem was when we had possession, our players were so far apart. There were never any options.The nearest player to the one in possession was usually 20 yards away at the closest.

The goals themselves were again lost possession and absolutely crap positional sense, both with and without the ball.

Obviously we need Reid, Obiang and Kouyate in for Noble and Rice and Lanzini in for Ayew.

That may help our performances as we would have twelve guys on the pitch. :wink:
alan blackburn

Post by alan blackburn »

live/work just outside newcastle - _thanks west ham for another no show up here!
scandalous performance against an average side who simply wanted it more!
go now slav-!