Newcastle Utd 3-0 West Ham Utd (26/08/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Red Squirrel

Re: Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Red Squirrel »

It seems these days if a team is doing badly people say it's because of the signings, we need X Y Z player in whatever positions. Like Pep just buying a whole new £200m defence.

Well what happened to coaching players, organising, improving players. That's what a manager should be doing, not 'managing egos' as some people seem to think is their only role.

Promoted sides always seem more organised and hard working to overcome the class deficiency, Blackpool several seasons ago, and others since. Surely we can be organised, hard to break down, then using pace and guile in attack. Fitness is paramount to success in the Prem.

I don't know what the issue is with us right now but yesterday was embarrassing, as were many performances under Bilic. The board have an element of blame but I am with others that are wondering what on earth Bilic is doing on the training pitch.

Right now we are a clusterf*ck.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

hammerman11 wrote:pardew - cheap option ?

howe - best option ?

rafa - in between option ?

bilic - easy option ?

I would give Chris Hughton a go before Pardew.

And I would take back Redknapp before Big Sam.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

OFT wrote:
I have the utmost respect for posters like yourselves and, as a non attender these days look forward to your after-match posts so in no way am I here for an argument
You're right about the relegation thing, it's a tester, but I now wonder if Slav is capable of even a 'good' relegation scrap, but only a 'bad' one,Regrettably it seems to me he cannot get the best of what is available to him. Perhaps you chaps see it differently every week, but (genuine question) do you really think even these owners are going to let this situation just roll on?
:crest:
Can't speak for Pinky but, for me, I never expect success to inure myself from the pain of 14 hour journeys and pisstaking from the locals.

Obviously things are wrong with the team. The line up was nothing like I'd suggested:

............................GK
......Zabaleta........Fonte.........Ogbonna
Byram.................Obiang ..........Cresswell
......Antonio..........Noble............Ayew
...........................Hernandez

I can't fathom Fernandes as the no. 10/winger; Zabaleta in a back 4, Ayew nowhere, Obiang dropped, overplaying Rice then hooking him or the £25m on Mad Mart.

You maybe right about Slav not being able to give us a good scrap and leading us into one. My point is I don't mind having one. More fun than listening to PR spin and having false expectations.

Slav has dug deep before mind. December last in fact. I hope he gets his mojo back.

The owners won't sack him I think. Benitez etc is too expensive and getting someone like Howe/Dyche/Wagner/Jokovic out of Clubs now seems unlikely. They will only sack for someone available like Pardew. I expect more undermining through the media to coerce him to walk, but I don't think he will.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Benitez, Fulham Manager or even Pardew. Anyone that can put players in their right position, organise us into a competent unit + improve our fitness.
You either have a short memory or are insane. Pardew? Jesus wept, do you not remember the god awful, tactic-less and incompetent football he was responsible for? No way, complete step backwards IMO. Why is he even being suggested?
mike1961
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by mike1961 »

Het-Field wrote:Today has nothing to do with the Stadium
I dunno, we were so far from the pitch at St James's, it was just like playing a game at home ...
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

As spirited as the performance was against Soton, we saw the opposite yesterday.

As always I'm eager to engage in finger-pointing and laying blame . . .

1. Genuinely surprised not to see three at the back with a 3-5-2.
2. Rice - nuff said
3. Lanzini - not sure what was going thru' his mind for the second . . .
On a positive note
4. Hernandez did very well to even connect with the parry from Cresswell's shot. Good work by their goalie.

Lots of critique directed towards the defence but for me the bigger challenge lays with our midfield. Couldn't retain the ball long enough to get it up to Sakho or Hernandez.
mike1961

Post by mike1961 »

ageing hammer wrote: And I would take back Redknapp before Big Sam.
I'd have 'Arry back too. One of his key abilities is man management/ motivation.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

mike1961 wrote:I'd have 'Arry back too. One of his key abilities is man management/ motivation.
Christ almighty, really? What can he offer? I does amaze me, the desperation some fans feel and some of the names being thrown around as a replacement for Billic.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Pardew, 'Arry, Pulis... think I even saw fat Sam mentioned! Blimey, I'm not Bilic's biggest fan but if that is the shortlist....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Bar Pulis, it's asking for all our old boys to return who failed 1st time around.

Think I'll stick with Bilic for now ta.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Colours never run wrote:Bar Pulis, it's asking for all our old boys to return who failed 1st time around.

Think I'll stick with Bilic for now ta.
BS wouldn't come back anyway because of the lack of a relationship with fans but to suggest he failed is ridiculous, promoted at the first attempt and stabilised us as a PL club without spending a fortune.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Failed in the sense of getting us to play attractive football and useless in the Cups.
SXreject

Post by SXreject »

****ing pardew.

Yeah the manager whose ego was so ****ing big he didn't want to play tevez or mascherano.

Javier Mascherano has criticised Alan Pardew’s management when the pair were together at West Ham, claiming his boss didn’t even know what position he played in. The Argentine anchorman joined West Ham in contentious circumstances in the summer of 2006...

Some on here are ****ing clueless, yeah pardew knew where to play quality word class players.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Fernandes, Rice & Noble.

At present that wouldn't look out of place in a championship team.

Forest maybe.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

no point changing bilic for pardew moyes etc.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

davids cross wrote:Fernandes, Rice & Noble.

At present that wouldn't look out of place in a championship team.

Forest maybe.
A central midfield 3 that cost the club 5 million in fees....and would probably be less than that now in value. Would anyone pay 5 million for Fernandes? Rice is a kid and no one would pay much for Noble at the moment.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Everybody has said just about everything I thought on the day already.
I wonder which particular genius in the Newcastle promotions department thought that a bit of golf at half time would make great half time entertainment? it was bad enough watching Ant Story Geordie Style without adding to the fun of trying to see a golf ball form the away fans penthouse suite. The performance of the 2 guys trying to roll up the Union Jack carpet was more entertaining.
mike1961

Post by mike1961 »

Redknapp's great skill was in his relationship with players. He would put his arm round them and tell them he believed in them and they were capable of great things. He could get players to play their hearts out on the pitch for him. He was always good with "difficult" players, e.g. (and of course there is no way of proving this) I think he would have kept Payet with us. Sadly, I think Bilic lacks these skills.
Colours never run

I see Mitrovic has been charged for his disgusting elbow on Lanzini. Yet another clear decision a Ref overlooked against us at the time. Dirty horrible player.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

You either have a short memory or are insane. Pardew? Jesus wept, do you not remember the god awful, tactic-less and incompetent football he was responsible for? No way, complete step backwards IMO. Why is he even being suggested?[/quote]
Apparently he has unfinished business with us :lol: