Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

snooperpooper wrote:
Or a transfer out to Ipswich or Fulham in the January window.
Not our Mark. Yes he is at that stage when his better days are behind him but he deserves better than being cast aside in the January window. Mark Noble should never leave our club and hopefully will be part of the coaching staff in the future and who knows, one day he may be our Manager.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

miles wrote:An average 68 percent pass completion rate like yesterday will lead to disaster sooner or later. Once things have calmed down a little he must be straight back in the side.
Spot on, neither Kouyate nor Obiang's passing is good enough to play together week in, week out
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

miles wrote:An average 68 percent pass completion rate like yesterday will lead to disaster sooner or later. Once things have calmed down a little he must be straight back in the side.
Kendal Iron wrote:Spot on, neither Kouyate nor Obiang's passing is good enough to play together week in, week out

Why the obsession with passing stats?

Mark is a good passer, but its hardly helped our cause lately has it??

Pressing the opposition into making mistakes which leads to goals is far more important than all this pass completion nonsense.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

id rather 68 average completion of passes forward rather than marks completion of sideways and backwards passing
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Without Noble, Rice and Lanzini (especially) watching us to try to pass the ball at times last night was frightening

At 'home' especially in games going forward, you would hope we'll be better on the ball
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:

Why the obsession with passing stats?
Because teams that don't keep possession tend to lose more than they win. As others had remarked on the match thread, we got away with it last night because Huddersfield were not good enough to take advantage
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Confidence was/is low.

Lastnight was all about hard work and passion - we got it.

Hopefully with more confidence, simple things like passing will improve.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Why the obsession with passing stats?

Pressing the opposition into making mistakes which leads to goals is far more important than all this pass completion nonsense.
So you don't want us to play any passing football then? Just give the opposition the ball and then hound them into mistakes?
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Kendal Iron wrote:
Spot on, neither Kouyate nor Obiang's passing is good enough to play together week in, week out
Not that I really care that much about passing accuracy stats as I judge more on end product (i.e. are we creating more chances than the opposition), but Obiang's passing accuracy yesterday was 83%, about the same as Noble's usual percentage. Kouyate's was lower but we all know that Kouyate offers many other attributes.

It's amazing what straws those who want Noble to play no matter what will keep clutching.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Obiangs individual pass completion was much better than the team average. In fact it was the best out of all our players on the night. I'm not quite sure why he's being picked out to demonstrate our poor passing. There were much worse.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

fjthegrey wrote: So you don't want us to play any passing football then? Just give the opposition the ball and then hound them into mistakes?
Who was hoofing it though? Certainly not Kouyate and Obiang. Was usually our defenders and full backs. If they are being told to go long that is not the fault of the central midfielders.

We need to play a mixed game. Our best passer is Lanzini, not Noble. Get him on the pitch and suddenly we can go wide, pass through the middle or go long if necessary, which is a good mix of options.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Our best passer in central defence happens to be the one most criticised. Our best passer in central midfield suffers the same. As does our fullback with the best passing stats. Clearly, being a good passer doesn't do much to win the fans over. And yet we all wanted a record signing defensive midfielder that's more carrick than kante, and who's greatest strength was intelligent distribution from deep. Wouldn't have been long before he started to suffer the criticism too.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

fjthegrey wrote: So you don't want us to play any passing football then? Just give the opposition the ball and then hound them into mistakes?
I want us to win football matches. If a certain way doesn't work, then try another. We've had plenty of games where the pretty passes and high % were completed and still lost.

I hate the term "must win" but last night was just that for Slav and he changed formation, tactics and personnel. It appeared to have worked. Who knows whether it'll work against better opponents......he may have to change it again.

But passing stats can do one, they're like possession stats, totally irrelevant and brought in like some NFL obsession.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Obiangs individual pass completion was much better than the team average. In fact it was the best out of all our players on the night. I'm not quite sure why he's being picked out to demonstrate our poor passing. There were much worse.
Significantly many worse than Obiang last night, who was the only guy I felt confident would play with his head up and look for a pass to make at times.

The whole team were poor otherwise, but most notably Kouyate, Zabaleta, and Cresswell - we need better from those three players (or whoever plays in those positions) than averaging a 64-68% completion rate. Other, more savvy, midfields will snatch those loose passes and turn them into chances.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Kendal Iron wrote:Spot on, neither Kouyate nor Obiang's passing is good enough to play together week in, week out
westham,eggyandchips wrote:Why the obsession with passing stats?

Very true eggy. Leicester won a title based on counter attacking.
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

Still comes in for clumbsy kouyate for me
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote: Very true eggy. Leicester won a title based on counter attacking.
You can't counter attack without being able to pass a ball

Play like we did last night and we will lose far more games than we will win, plus it will be fairly pony to watch
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Noble is better than Kouyate, and better for the team too.
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

You telling me with that attacking line up Noble would still be passing sideways?
That said I'm not convinced he's capable of covering the ground needed when we pressed high up.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Andytheammer wrote:You telling me with that attacking line up Noble would still be passing sideways?
That said I'm not convinced he's capable of covering the ground needed when we pressed high up.
Exactly, he picks the right pass, more than he doesn't, and more than most, but if there's f**k all available in front of him he won't pass it forward for the sake of it or for the sake of forward pass stats.

I still can't believe Noble got the flack for Snodgrass punting the ball against Fehgouli and then Chelsea countering to score, it's things like that that make me take most criticism of Noble with a pinch of salt.