West Ham Utd 2-0 Huddersfield Town (11/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

WH_Olympic
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Post by WH_Olympic »

prophet:marginal wrote:Huddersfield played...
Good post.
Patito

Post by Patito »

YorksHammer wrote:
I thought both Hernandez and Antonio were poor

Get that tin hat ready, Yorks!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

scottyboy71 wrote: Kayoute: Blowing out of his arse after 20 mins and that swipe at the ball was embarrassing
On 70 mins he ran 40 yards at good speed to chase down a hopeful pass into the left back area by Zabaleta. He didn't have to, but he did. He could have jogged it and not put pressure on the ball or defender........but he did.

He then won the ball back high up the pitch and was the main reason for the opportunity to develop that opening goal.

That energy he gives in midfield is invaluable to us. And always has been since he's been here.

He must have got a second wind eh ?
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Hernandez was average.

Antonio was in beast mode and terrorised the Huddersfield defence. Best player on the pitch last night for me.
Hammers1993
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Hammers1993 »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Hernandez was average.

Antonio was in beast mode and terrorised the Huddersfield defence. Best player on the pitch last night for me.
May of had something to do with the fact he was out on the wing, you know, that famous position of his, who wants him in the box as a poacher where he has scored every goal he's ever scored from anyway? Class mangement if you ask me.

He starts him on the wing against better opposition the result will be very different.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 483 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Was Hernandez playing on the wing?

Looked to me more like he was playing the channel.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Spot on Crossey :thup:

Kouyate did not have his best game with the ball, but he covered every blade of grass and then some.

That energy is so important to the team, and it often goes unmentioned due to (at times) his ball control/passing.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Was Hernandez playing on the wing?

No he wasn't. Just people spouting the usual **** to suit their rhetoric.

He played the channel and was often running in behind AC, it just so happened that not many of the flick ons and headers that AC won didn't present themselves for him to make the most of. He wasn't expected to get the ball out wide to beat the full back and get a cross in,
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

I have got to say fair play to the Huddersfield fans, they didn't stop singing all through the match, even when they were 2-0 down.
I got chatting to a couple afterwards and they said they feel as though they are in a dream world and are just trying to make the most of it while it lasts.
They also said that for them Andy Carroll was the big difference between the teams.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

scottyboy71 wrote: Kayoute: Blowing out of his arse after 20 mins and that swipe at the ball was embarrassing
davids cross wrote: On 70 mins he ran 40 yards at good speed to chase down a hopeful pass into the left back area by Zabaleta. He didn't have to, but he did. He could have jogged it and not put pressure on the ball or defender........but he did.

He then won the ball back high up the pitch and was the main reason for the opportunity to develop that opening goal.

That energy he gives in midfield is invaluable to us. And always has been since he's been here.

He must have got a second wind eh ?
To add to that in the 92nd minute (I think) I remember him making a great challenge near our box and I was thinking that its unreal to see such effort right until the death when leading 2-0. It was so refreshing to see us fight until the very end, would have easy for them to ease off 2-0 but we didn't.
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Clacton-ammer wrote:Spot on Crossey :thup:

Kouyate did not have his best game with the ball, but he covered every blade of grass and then some.

That energy is so important to the team, and it often goes unmentioned due to (at times) his ball control/passing.
100% This guy can put us on the front foot & is a massive presence in the middle 'every blade of grass' @ OS. Always a starter for me pressing & harrasing box 2 box for 90+. This allows the flair players to focus on creativity & skill in attack.

He's also invaluable at set pieces whether in defence or attack, with a decent run in a settled team consistently at CM I'm confident even his passing will improve. I also like the idea of him easily dropping in at CB turning our 3 into a 4 when needed.

OB1 also is an underrated passer for me, he seems to have all the tools to succeed as our holding DM. footnote here is I'd of preffered Oxford here as our alternate DM Bkup.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Patito wrote:Get that tin hat ready, Yorks!
Eh, I've made my hill - I'll die on it!
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Don't think we played well but the 3 points was all that mattered last night. The team played for the manager.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Was Hernandez playing on the wing?

ironstu wrote: No he wasn't. Just people spouting the usual **** to suit their rhetoric.

He played the channel and was often running in behind AC, it just so happened that not many of the flick ons and headers that AC won didn't present themselves for him to make the most of. He wasn't expected to get the ball out wide to beat the full back and get a cross in,
Average positions of our players after the first half....

If he was playing left wing he did a **** job of it.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Hernandez and Antonio both played behind the striker - Hernandez ostensibly the left sided one of the two and Antonio ostensibly the right sided one.

I'd rather have seen the front three be a 1-2 rather than a 2-1 - i.e. Hernandez actually alongside Carroll. I wonder if we might see that when Lanzini is back, with Antonio on the right of the midfield four.
JLP123

Post by JLP123 »

hernandez didn't play on the f***ing wing!

Inside forward.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

Iron Mike was the best player on the field by miles last night. He is pivitol to us as a team. 1st name on the team sheet.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote:
Average positions of our players after the first half....

Nice one DDA. :thup:

He certainly wasn't on the wing when that chance fell to him early on. Fancy him to score against West Brom.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

YorksHammer wrote:
I'd rather have seen the front three be a 1-2 rather than a 2-1 - i.e. Hernandez actually alongside Carroll. I wonder if we might see that when Lanzini is back, with Antonio on the right of the midfield four.
With hindsight that may well have worked , Yorks - what Antonio lacks in technical ability he sure makes up for it with his powerful running , the plan with him seemed to be ' Get past your man and cross it into the box ' - Cresswell was up with the play throughout , I thought he was immense last night , one of his best games for a long time , the 3 at the back suits him very well , his play meant that Hernandez could have been closer to Andy . Football is about using your initiative anyway and he was well positioned when Antonio squared the ball to him , just hit it slightly too hard .

Selling Feghouli was a mistake and totally unnecessary , he was adjusting to the Premiership and was one of the best crossers of the ball at West Ham .

Ah well , onwards and upwards !!
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Happy with the deserved three points
Also pleased that far from fans favorites Ayew and Fonte made decent contributions.
However still not sure what our best eleven or formation is.
Would like us to keep the ball on the deck more.
Huddersfield were poor.
56,000 crowd but anyone care to estimate how many were in the ground with five minutes to go? Sad.