The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Re: A thread to discuss depression and other mental issues...

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

Rio wrote:Steve. Though everyone calls me Rio

I suffer from Chronic Anxiety.

Always been a worrier, nothing will ever change that. Had things pretty much under control until 4 years ago. I got told I had multiple sclerosis. Made the fatal mistake of checking the internet to what it truly entails.

Since then my life has changed completely. Despite the diagnosis being questioned, reevaluated, repeatedly assessed and checked I'm still very in much in the dark over whats going on.

I was at that time the fitness I'd probably ever been. Running regularly after letting myself go, following the kids being born and not having time to do much.

Now I've regressed. I'm unfit again. Every niggle, triggers a fear of panic. Even simple things like tube journeys are now a nightmare.

Bit hard to explain really.
Hey Rio/Steve

one of my friends has anxiety issues, I bought them one of those fidget cubes for when things got really bad. It helped him out, just took their mind off what was going on. I also tried to get them to do some sums so their mind was working on something else.

I hope this might help you.

All the best!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

DasNutNock wrote:I've laboured this point beforehand, but for anyone struggling to control their demons that is currently not doing any regular exercise - I plead you to give it a try. Even if it doesn't do anything for you mentally, it's bound to improve your general health and help you sleep better.
I was largely sceptical and despite having gone through a long period of being active I had descended into sedentary. It was always easier to say yes to that beer or having to work late.

After much nagging from Mrs RR and a chat with her PT, I got back into exercise and felt instantly better. Now I make sure that I carve out a least 4, minimum of 3 classes and perhaps a run thrown in. This is now "me time", clears the head and improves my sleep. My work chums now also know that Mon-Tue is class night, so I won't be having a beer until Thursday / Friday.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Dan, Rich

What was it - on a day to day basis - that helped you get up and go out running?
I don't mean the long term ambition to feel better and improve your wellbeing, but the actual daily motivation.

Did you have a technique, a timetable or routine to start?

I always feel like I need to sit down and mentally recover so much. I just find it so damn hard to get up and get out.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Running is the only time I ever get to listen to music really.

It's made me want to run. I'll listen to a whole album.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 924 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

I run ...not very fast at all, but have found that it really helps me. By no means do I have any mental issues but it does help me focus and think - either about one thing or many of them. More often or not, I am clearer about solutions at the end of the run.

In terms of motivation to do this was partly due to the fact that I wasn't doing enough exercise and that I t was pretty immediate (put on kit and leave house, rather than trip to gym, change, locker etc). However the two main reasons were that it gives me the time for a couple of my passions - being outdoors and listening to music.

I started running when I got home from work before I had a chance to sit down when inertia would set in. Soon after I did my first parkrun, which gave me another's incentive, which was to work up to running 5k without stopping.

I'm still under tall for my weight but I love running, it does help my mental health.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Rars, the wife's Personal Trainer akso runs a local fitness club - nothing poncy, he and his fellow trainers uses the gym at the local school and the local park.

That helps as there is a set schedule; Monday Boxfit, Tuesday Circuits, Wednesday Body pump and Saturday bootcamp. Then Sunday I go for a run.

It's no bull**** that excercise gets the endorphins going and you do feel good. But for me it also clears my mind. Plus it's good for you and keeps the Derby at bay.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

RARS - for me, it's absolutely about cast-iron, intransigent routine. I realised early on that in order to minimise the chance of bailing, I needed to make everything as efficient as possible, with as many tricks as I could find to make sure I go. This routine kept me going for 11 years. I changed over the last couple as I can't do weights any more and just switched to running & biking, but the structure hasn't changed significantly.

- When I get home, I walk through the door and before I've even had a piss, I sort my training kit and work clothes for the next day. Work clothes in my bag, training kit laid out.
- Up early, put my training kit on, get out the house without showering, and head to whatever gym is closest to where I work. Leaving early also means I spend 15 minutes in the car, not 45. (This means that, at the very least, I need to shower at the gym and change into work clothes. This guarantees I'll go to the gym, and once I'm there, I don't mind training.)
- After training, it's only 5 minutes to my desk.

For 7 or 8 of those years I also used to train at lunchtime too, because I'd leave my kit there after the morning session, knowing they'd bin it from the locker if I didn't go back to retrieve it. And going back to pick it up meant I was back in the gym, so I'd do another workout.

So for me, the tricks are to get my kit sorted as a priority, and wear it when I leave the house. I barely have to think about anything logistically, so I can focus on training, planning other stuff in my mind, or just daydreaming.

I won't train in the evenings (save very rare occasions) and will do it as a family event at the weekend.

Everyone has days they don't want to go. I still get them sometimes, and have trained my brain to react to those thoughts by countering with "don't be a p*ssy - you know you'll feel better if you train" and I can always shut those negative thoughts down.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Marky »

For me its also about planning and structure with exercise.
I get more endorphins from doing weights rather than cardio personally but can echo the sentiment that when you are having a tricky period it will help. I have spoken to women/men in their late 50 who have lost a partner prematurely and they have thrown themselves into the routine and in a small way it helps that little bit.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I go fishing. Sometimes I take my rods.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Tenbury wrote:I go fishing. Sometimes I take my rods.
Have to say, I've been giving serious consideration to taking this up. Sitting by the bank of the Thames or Wey, in a folding chair, under a big brolly, with the rain p*ssing down, drinking a cup and staring blankly at the water. Sounds like a bloody lovely way to spend a few hours.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

Guarantee you'll end up back on the puff.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

My god fishing is boring.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

I've read posts on this thread and come close to posting a few times, but here goes.

I've always been crap at keeping in touch with people, its not that I don't like them I just enjoy my own company and get wrapped up in things. According to one friend this is a "personality disorder", to me its just me, probably live too much for today.

After splitting from my wife I ended up in a bad place, a company that enforced working from home for long periods didn't help. I spent far too much time planning which would be the "best" way to go. One night I found myself on spitfire bridge over the M3 watching traffic go by, luckily a woman stopped and spent some time talking to me. She basically saved my life and I'm ashamed to admit I never asked her full name or address. What mainly pulled me out was having a friend with bipolar, whom became very dependant on me, and thinking of my sons. To be be perfectly honest finding a friend with benefits probably was also a help ;) Now I'm engaged, new career and looking forward to life.

My eldest son has depression and it is very hard for all of us, not knowing how to help him and seeing him suffer. I think for family feeling so helpless and knowing that the person you love is suffering is awful.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:I've read posts on this thread and come close to posting a few times, but here goes.
:thup:

Just shows you doesn't it.

For some internet reason, the last person I would think had any struggles at all would have been Hampshire.

I've always pictured Hampshire sitting in a garden with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, not a care in the world.....

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

davids cross wrote: I've always pictured Hampshire sitting in a garden with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, not a care in the world.....

Thanks DC, pretty close to that these days (love of a good woman and all that :D ), but more likely to be a real ale or a Pimms. Image
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

As wanky as it may sound, I sometimes wish I had reasons, or a reason, for feeling completely underwhelmed.
At least there'd be something tangible to tackle, something to add reason to and to plan against.

It's the waking up in morning feeling ok and heading off to work in decent spirits, then spending the rest of the day utterly angry at everyone, disgusted by people and what they do and not bothering to do anything in work, or even at weekends that gets me.

Just feel like I want to lay down and sleep for about 6 weeks doing nothing but emptying my head.
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

You need a south Essex Postcode, but they'll be easy to guess.

https://www.therapyforyou.co.uk/about" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For online I think they're very good. No rushing through it, they notify you when it's time to take the next one.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

RichieRiv wrote:Guarantee you'll end up back on the puff.
Whilst I wouldn't have the first idea how to get hold of it any more... you may actually have a valid point there. I used to love, or at least think I did, time-wasting hobbies - but I wonder if that actually was as much an excuse to roll some joints as genuine enjoyment.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Can only echo what others have said about gym/training - getting those good endorphins flowing is massive.

RARS - you on meds currently?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

RARS sounds very low..... :(