West Ham Utd 2-0 Huddersfield Town (11/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

In the main I enjoyed last night, we got the win we desperatley needed and some strong individual performances from the likes of Zabaleta, Reid, Collins, Obiang, Carroll and especially, Antonio. With a bit more composure in front of goal it could have been more, but I would have taken 2-0 all day long, we're off the bottom and unbeaten at home :wink:
Antonio is a beast, built like the proverbial brick outhouse but with the feet of Usain Bolt - he is along with Lanzini, absolutely vital in us moving up the table. I love the way he waits for an aerial pass with a defender all over him like a cheap suit and then in the blink of an eye, he's trapped the ball, turned, and left said defender for dead - love seeing Iron Mike do that.

Don't know if anone has already mentioned but have we got a new DJ? Motorhead, Foo Fighters and ACDC ??
Not the normal set list?

Glad to see security a lot tighter, but one thing I haven't missed is the trudge back to Stratford International - no wonder there were so many empty seats by the time the final whistle went.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

frankiemac wrote:i dont boo anything...im a 41 year old man...
BOOOOOOO!! :wink:

100% agree with you really......
3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by 3Dicks »

I was surprised by the stat that popped up towards the end of the game showing top speed reached by our players, I cant remember what unit was used by anyway

1. Antonio 33
2. Reid 32
3. Carroll 31

clearly Antonio Accelerates bloody fast but amazed to see Carroll just a shade slower clocked at his top speed.
JLP123

Post by JLP123 »

3Dicks wrote:I was surprised by the stat that popped up towards the end of the game showing top speed reached by our players, I cant remember what unit was used by anyway

1. Antonio 33
2. Reid 32
3. Carroll 31

clearly Antonio Accelerates bloody fast but amazed to see Carroll just a shade slower clocked at his top speed.
Carroll actually has more pace than he is given credit for. Albeit, takes a while for him to reach that top speed.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Reid always seems to score highly in those sprint metrics.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

I don't know if its been mentioned but wasn't it good to see us in the proper kit last night - white shorts and white socks.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Don't know if anone has already mentioned but have we got a new DJ? Motorhead, Foo Fighters and ACDC ??
Not the normal set list?
biggest improvement to my mind. if you're going to play music at half time, at least play something with a bit of energy instead of the dreary cheese and wine fundraiser ***** they usually put on.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

I got the sense that Chico would of scored that shot that hit the bar if he hadn't had to reset himself when he did hit it....

You could see him setting himself up as that ball was played in but as it went to him it scuffed the heel of the Huddersfield player and you could see him quickly resetting his shot.... if that pass had been clean I reckon he'd of scored that...

Most other players having to do that would have skyed it... his quality still stood out even though he missed...
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Favourite Chicharito moment for me was that sublime touch down to Kouyate in the second half on the edge of the box.

He's got incredible balance.
Patito

Post by Patito »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Favourite Chicharito moment for me was that sublime touch down to Kouyate in the second half on the edge of the box.

That was a touch of class. Kouyate's finish however... Image
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Bottom line, we needed a win and we got it, but lots of talking points for me.

I love Antonio for all his effort, strength, speed and unpredictability. I agree with some that he lacks technical ability, and while that is part of what makes him him, in terms of dribbling (and so no complaints), for him to move to the next level, it's getting his head up and passing ability as improvement areas. Having said that, what a beast, love him!!!

Kouyate has some lovers and haters, and I tend to agree about his technical limitations - I think that he would look much better as a CB, although you would lose all of that energy that can get all over the pitch...decent game overall

Obiang - think most agree that he was quality last night, he was as actively involved and everywhere as Kouyate but with better distribution. Being a bit more lightweight means he gets pushed off the ball more easily than Kouyate, but you can hardly hold that against him - he had a good call for MOTM!

Carroll - each time he comes back it's the same and you can see how he bullies the opposition defence and puts them under pressure. He gives us a way out, when we play direct, although I wish it wasn't done so much - hardly his fault though. While he's around, he's a great option!

Cresswell/Zabaleta - both had good games and I think that 3 at the back suits both of them best, although we really need to have one of Obiang/Kouyate sitting back when they go storming up, as we might have been left exposed against better counter-attacking sides. Think Zabaleta was a great signing, always gives 100% and has quality too.

Collins, Reid, Fonte - were solid, although not overly-worked. I think that this back 3 would be better judged against different opposition. Against Spurs for example, I wonder if it would look so solid. Certainly no complaints though, they bossed the back!

Hart - nothing to do...

Hernadez - is the first talking point. How can we best fit him into the team? He certainly didn't look as effective, last night, as he can, although I can see Bilic's thinking in playing him like that to get the knock-downs from Carroll. I don't agree that he should have no defensive responsibilities, as some have suggested, or that he HAS to be played in the centre-centre. As a poacher, and goal-scorer he needs to float around the place. Where does that leave the Carroll-Hernandez "partnership"...not sure, although you can be sure that Carroll will get injured again and then we will be complaining that he isn't there. Having 2 strikers that offer so much is a good problem to have, although I'm glad that it's Bilic's and not mine though!
For this game, without the creativity of Lanzini/Arnautovic, I think he made the right call though.

Ayew had a good cameo and got his goal - reckon he's a decent player and gives us quality coming from the bench. Sakho too actually, despite his transfer window incident, I'd like him to give it his all in what will surely be his final season in East London, as he does have some quality and I'm happy to have him on the bench.

Second talking point is what happens with Lanzini and Arnautovic back...?
What is the best way to mix Carroll, Hernandez, Antonio, Lanzini, Arnautovic into the team...?
I think that we look much more solid with 3 at the back, which means that the wingback spots are taken by Cresswell/Masuaku and Zabaleta/Byram, leaving us with 5 more spots to fill.
Obiang has to play deep, so that leaves 4.
There is an argument to playing 2 deep, which would only leave 3...remembering that Ayew is in and around too.

I liked the high-energy approach, and when we played Tottenham like that last season, they struggled to deal with it too. I think that this is the way forward for the personnel at hand, as we just haven't got the collective quality to out pass other teams, but we have got players with courage and energy and we need to play to our strengths. We do need to be able to mix it up though and not ONLY play direct, and that is when we need a Lanzini/Arnautovic on the break, to be able to thread a ball through. Antonio can conjure something up too of course and last season there were times when Ayew was linking up nicely with the fallback too.

Can't judge everything on one game though and so am interested to see:
- How Bilic decides to move forward with some creativity back
- How things pan out in general
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
Don't know if anone has already mentioned but have we got a new DJ? Motorhead, Foo Fighters and ACDC ??
Not the normal set list?
PA was so bad where we were that I couldn't understand a word of announcements or recognise the songs, as a huge Motorhead and AC/DC I would have expected to recognise them. :(
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Great win, take my hat of to Bilic for coming up with a system that worked perfectly on the night and got the job done. Biggest plus for me was seeing that the players are definitely behind the manager and ready to work their nuts off.

I don't envy Bilic's job going forward though as the balance of the squad is wrong, and I just can't come up with any formation that utilises our best players, that is likely to succeed. Hernandez and Lanzini being two of our most gifted players, but neither are suited to the formation that we played last night.
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: as a huge Motorhead and AC/DC I would have expected to recognise them.
I get the Motorhead bit, but didn't realise bi-sexuality improved your hearing? :lol:
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: as a huge Motorhead and AC/DC I would have expected to recognise them.
Heysel76 wrote: I get the Motorhead bit, but didn't realise bi-sexuality improved your hearing? :lol:
Fair point, must re-read before posting - though that omission was a classic. Image
In fairness 40 years of listening to Motorhead and AC/DC probably hasn't helped my hearing.
Patito

Post by Patito »

A very strange Oppo View this week. A few balanced views in there but some very childish comments that just make me think "sore losers" as well.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Patito wrote:A very strange Oppo View this week. A few balanced views in there but some very childish comments that just make me think "sore losers" as well.
"With piped music and chanting through the speakers"

Eh? What does that mean? Is that the same nonsense pedalled last season that crowd noise is played over the PA? And what exactly is "piped music"? And where would one expect music to come from if not "through the speakers"? Weirdos.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I've read on a few different threads the misconception of a forwards position mistaken as 'on the wing' or 'out side' when discussing either Hernandez, Ayew, Antonio or Arnautovic playing up top in a 3. It's most definitely not playing on the wing, that position was occupied by both Cresswell and Zabaleta last night as examples. They were given the licence and responsibility to work the flank to support either defence or attack depending on what was needed at the time. But as far as the 2 wider Forwards, they're still operating as Strikers, just that they play closely off the target man which is Carroll who's **** hot at it. So no, the likes of Hernandez isn't being wasted playing this role as it doesn't take anything away from his game as he's still able to get in and around the box as he pleases. Same goes for the other forwards like Antonio and Ayew. Moving on from Hernandez who looks fine in this position, I've long thought this is the ideal position for Ayew who I noticed playing very well for Swansea in this way. It gives him the chance to arrive slightly later in the box to pick up loose balls and knit the midfield and the attack without much fuss and in only 20 minutes of playing it last night, he demonstrated exactly all that.

As much as I've long loved us playing with 3 at the back, I'm now coming to the conclusion we play best up front with a 3 also. 343 really does look like being 'the one formation for us although not for every game. Teams are gonna hate playing us regularly if that was close to our team most weeks (injuries of course permitting). It suits the make up of our squad no matter who you switch around to fill those positions and crucially it gives a bit more longevity to the old biddies at the back who haven't the legs anymore.

It won't happen overnight but gradually we should start pulling away from the bottom and getting amongst the middle pack before Christmas which will set us up for the business end of the season. That's how I see it panning out playing this way.
Last edited by Colours never run on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

wildkard wrote:
"With piped music and chanting through the speakers"

Eh? What does that mean? Is that the same nonsense pedalled last season that crowd noise is played over the PA? And what exactly is "piped music"? And where would one expect music to come from if not "through the speakers"? Weirdos.

I think it's this, which fits with their nonsense..

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Kouyate didn't have a great game but if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have got the first goal.

In the cold light of day it is 3 points, but if (if) we set up like that all season, it will be a tough watch, regardless Ov the end result. Playing only 3 attacking players is not my cup of tea

Huddersfield are as I expected, a side who will very likely get relegated. Mooy was class, Mounie looked a handful, and tbf they played the better football, but weren't great

Antonio was superb. Should be the first name on team sheet and everyone else fit round him
I don't think having more attacking players on the pitch makes us more attacking, quite the opposite in fact we get overrun and look like conceding three or more goals a game. Last nights system or 3-5-2 makes us more solid thus giving us the platform to be more attacking, IMO course !