West Ham Utd 2-0 Huddersfield Town (11/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Huddersfield Town: Match thread

Post by Colours never run »

It screams out to play Kouyate instead of Fonte in that formation. Plays to most of his strengths and eradicated his weaknesses.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I agree with Das Nut Lock, I thought we were fantastic, especially in the first half. Pace, power, aggression and sheer will to win, reminiscent of the good old days under Sa...well, anyway, I loved it.

Fonte's best game for us for ages.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Fantastic result and performance last night. Totally enjoyed it.

I think what we need to do is look at it from another angle. Huddersfield played like we have/used to play last night i.e.

They came with a defensive set up that played on the break

Trying to run it out from the back with players who don't want run it out.

Ping pong-ing it about at the back, only to be pressed on by us and therefore pass the ball back to the keeper to "hoof" it.

Their midfield was too deep and had to come back for the ball a lot.

A lot of their midfield received the ball with their back to us and all they could do was pass it back resulting in the first to items mentioned above.

They never really got out their half until the 2nd half when they changed formations.

They then had to chase the game when they were 1-0 down and this lead to opening for us.

I was very glad to see the lack of ping pong at the back in our team last night and the only time I thought we were in danger were when we did so.

I was also happy to see Ginge bringing the ball forward more often. Apart from one mistake, he stretched their formation, drew people towards him, which meant other players lost their markers.

If we can keep this up we'll be golden.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Where we were, it wasn't boos for Ayew, just a lot of minor disbelief cos we were chasing a goal and the premium goalscorer was going off.

Intrigued by where we go.

Kouyate where Fonte played and Lanzini in the middle.
Antonio to where Zab was, Zab to where Fonte was and Lanzini behind two strikers?

And both of those I would wonder whether Fonte is a bit better in the side than Collins (a debate point)

I think Zab could work where Fonte was for mobility and also as Fonte kept getting forward and it may be better with a better ball player.
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

wildkard wrote:"With piped music and chanting through the speakers"

Eh? What does that mean? Is that the same nonsense pedalled last season that crowd noise is played over the PA? And what exactly is "piped music"? And where would one expect music to come from if not "through the speakers"? Weirdos.
They're Northerners who expect singing and chanting from actual people. It is outrageous, I know :twisted:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Some of those Huddersfield fans comments on the Oppo View. Wow. Maybe it's just the modern football fan.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Interesting comments from Bilic on whufc.com

"By playing like that in the first half, we basically stopped them creating anything, which builds your confidence and leaves them feeling a little bit down. A lot of things were happening in the first half in and around their box – crosses, corners, free-kicks, chances and all that – but paradox of the game was that we didn’t score then."

Apparently we put in 32 crosses into the box. Compared to 47 in our previous three games combined. Clearly our tactic was to put them on the back foot by playing long and avoid playing through the midfield. It worked perfectly. It's the sort of tactical awareness and planning that either Bilic hasn't done recently or the players have finally done what they're supposed to.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

As for the stadium, I'll be happy never going there again
You and me both mate!
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: "wildkard" "With piped music and chanting through the speakers"

Eh? What does that mean? Is that the same nonsense pedalled last season that crowd noise is played over the PA? And what exactly is "piped music"? And where would one expect music to come from if not "through the speakers"? Weirdos.

They're Northerners who expect singing and chanting from actual people. It is outrageous, I know :twisted:
I would expect most 'southerners' prefer that too (with Arsenal a possible exception), it's simply an accusation without a shred of evidence however that's originated from a Spurs source during a period when they were trying to denigrate our club for their own ends and as usual the more mindless with an axe to grind jump on the bandwagon. All very childish.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Attendance shown as 56,977
Really?
On the tv there looked to be quite a lot of empty seats scattered throughout the ground. All through the game.
Are they just counting (season) tickets sold or actual people turning up through the turnstiles (bums on seats)?
If it's the former, that is unbelievable & farcical.
A complete misrepresentation of the actual attendance.
It's not as if their gate computer system wouldn't be able to know instantly in this day & age.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Samba wrote:Attendance shown as 56,977
Really?
On the tv there looked to be quite a lot of empty seats scattered throughout the ground. All through the game.
Are they just counting (season) tickets sold or actual people turning up through the turnstiles (bums on seats)?
It's not as if their gate computer system wouldn't be able to know instantly in this day & age.
scummy as it is, it's common practice. has been for years.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Arsenal have been doing at the Emirates for years.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Its tickets sold which all clubs do. still a great turnout on a wet monday night, on TV against a team like huddersfield. I would say we had over 54000 there. Some people are never satisfied.

good to see a few shelves for the beer.

what has happened to the PA system. I couldnt understand or hear it properly in the TBL.
also why not play some west ham music sweet caroline, gold,human league. Just get the DJfrom the carpenters to share his play list.

The game itself was good. we competed for once. Huddersfield did what we have been doing. playing noble balls sideways and back whereas we went forward.

start players antonio, zaba, carroll, ginge, reid and obiang. some good performances.

onto wba and another must not lose game ! 3 points there on saturday would really signal our return.
Benny the Ball
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Benny the Ball »

Really?
30 years ago when the turnstiles were cash, the opposite happened.

Gates were understated.... :o
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

^^
Indeed. My old man reckons for the first few seasons he rarely had to pay for me in the Chicken Run.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

The turnstiles used to count the numbers coming in , but loads of people ducked under as thier mate paid or kids squeezed on without paying.
The Boylen always seemed pretty packed to me in the early late 70's when i first started going regularly , sometimes jammed in like sardines. :)
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

wasserburg_hammer wrote: They're Northerners who expect singing and chanting from actual people. It is outrageous, I know :twisted:
That's not what they meant, or I meant.

Piped chants - this is absolute b*llocks and doesn't happen. Maybe as part of one of those videos that are often shown well before a game? But certainly not "piped chants" during, or even just before a game.

Piped music - they're referring to the music being played before the game, by the DJ. What's wrong with that?

(not even sure what they mean by "piped" either)
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Really?
Beavis Danzig wrote:scummy as it is, it's common practice. has been for years.
I get the point that it is a distorted interpretation of reality, but nothing more than any representation of stats from a marketing perspective. Don't take it personally Samba :crest:
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

e-20 wrote: I would expect most 'southerners' prefer that too (with Arsenal a possible exception), it's simply an accusation without a shred of evidence however that's originated from a Spurs source during a period when they were trying to denigrate our club for their own ends and as usual the more mindless with an axe to grind jump on the bandwagon. All very childish.
The Spurs accusation of "they play crowd noise over the PA" just showed their idiocy. I actually had to explain to a couple of Spurs mates that it was crowd noise at the start of a particular version of Bubbles. They couldn't exactly edit it out.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2938 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Surprised to read so many were happy with what they watched on Monday night .

A good result , but launching the ball forward, bypassing midfield, isn't really that sophisticated is it ?

Not if we are being honest with ourselves

We play on the floor ? .