Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WestHamIFC

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by WestHamIFC »

Kentammer wrote:The deal we have is a steal.
No it isn't. We paid the market rate for something that is flawed.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

James P wrote: if we're not I'll donate fifty bitcoins to the Bobby Moore Fund.
Hopefully for your sake not at today's Bitcoin price!
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

mike1961 wrote:I prefer the bare concrete.
Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Same here. Understand I'm in the minority but I like stadiums that have bare concrete showing.
Yeah me too, especially with the flags hanging.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

the pink palermo wrote:
The answers quite simple HD1, you presumably were sat in the West , I was in the East .
I was in 1966 row 32 and, despite one possible occasion when I wondered if it was drifting, I didn't get wet. Not complaining, mind. I missed Man City last season (only game) so hadn't experienced rain at the Poxy Athletics Stadium. Still haven't on the journey to/from the station. Glad that this has become even quicker than it was.
Sparky69er

Post by Sparky69er »

Thought i'd come on and give a positive post.....

After a disappointing first season in the West Stand.. near away fans, I managed to catch a 6 month ban for standing and swearing.... I hated going, no atmosphere, stewards had no clue, unsuccessful migration, fans fighting over sitting and standing. All that aside..... i can now say my opinion has changed.

I successfully managed to relocate my season ticket to BML.... and although it does not feel like home (yet) what a quality seat and great bunch of people I have around me, stewarding was on point left us alone, we sang, we got behind the team, and we won!!

Starting to get the usual match day buzz like it was at UP

Can we play at home every week?....... :crest:
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Prob wrote:The word going around is tha Mayor has Newham bent over a barrel now over the Stadium. The Mayor will take back control and running off the stadium from Newham. Newham can't disagree with this otherwise the Mayor will order a winding up order and Newham will lose its £40million loan which they can not afford. As Newham have already spent £300million on the roof.

Once the Mayor has taken control they want to sit back down with West Ham to renegotiate the terms of our deal.

I know some of the people that work in the Mayor office who are doing this. They would have no hope facing off against Brady, Gold or Sullivan. Brady will walk all over them.

Where on earth did you get this from?

The mayor will blackmail Newham into relinquishing their stake in E20 to preserve their £40m?

And then what? It becomes 100% LLDC managed? Or even GLA managed?

And then he's going to suggest we renegotiate?

Would be hilarious to be fair. Mayor Khan tearing up contracts left, right and centre! I think someone is winding you up mate.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I was told the Sullivan was offered it at 700 mill but declined saying he'd rather pay the rent for the next 98 years.

Local government and business shouldn't mix
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

RichieRiv wrote:I was told the Sullivan was offered it at 700 mill but declined saying he'd rather pay the rent for the next 98 years.

Local government and business shouldn't mix
the £200m rent we are due to pay for 100 years is about what they would get from us to own it I reckon
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I was going to say I reckon the starting point would be about 200m...

The taxpayer is footing the bill and isn't it making a huge loss, the government will just want rid to stop it costing money.

Probably Sullivan's plan all along to be fair... he knows the more it costs the taxpayer the cheaper he can buy it and hen in turn sell up.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I've long thought about £300m stumped up all at once would be enough to please most and end the ongoing crying about being 'given' the Stadium. I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility at some point along those lines.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Owning the ground would add very little value to the club,certainly nowhere near what it would cost to buy.The benefits of owning it are as I see.
Obviously no rent
But as a negative increased running costs
Full value of catering etc on matchday
Ability to earn from non sporting events
Right to improve the stadium ,which will never happen,would actually be cheaper to knock it down and start again
Land itself has minimal value.

So have absolutely no idea why they would buy it.Even at £200m what's the point for them.The rent is paltry for them it's a fantastic deal.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

They wouldn't buy it for "them"

Someone far richer than them would be buying the club which then includes the London Olympic Stadium in their property portfolio as such...

It's always been about sellling the club... they buy the stadium, well take it off the government's for 100m to stop them making a loss and costing the taxpayer.... what also goes out the window is their agreement to hand over a % of any sale....

They then have a London based premier league club AND the London Olympic Stadium to sell....

Sell up and make a killing.... which is why our debt is owed to them to make sure they get all that as well
Ben

Post by Ben »

say we will roughly pay £200m in rent over the time of the lease (probably less when you throw in a few relegations)
what is it costing the government at the moment? £5m a year? more?
-£5m x 98 years -£490 so it will cost the government almost £300m over the lease even after our rent payments.
or they take £200m now and effectively be £500m better off not have to worry about it anymore
doe that make sense?
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

I am not convinced that buying the stadium is what the dildo brothers want. It will all come down to money at the end of the day as that is all they care about. We obviously want West Ham to own their own home, but for them it is just a case of what will be of the most financial benefit.
farmergiles
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by farmergiles »

Coops wrote:it is just a case of what will be of the most financial benefit.
That's why I agree with a lot of what various people have said.

Buying the stadium will end the % sell on clause they had to agree to.

Adding the Olympic Stadium to the portfolio would drive up the asking price.

Thus they could end up clearing more money from a sale by buying the ground than if they don't.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Ben wrote:say we will roughly pay £200m in rent over the time of the lease (probably less when you throw in a few relegations)
what is it costing the government at the moment? £5m a year? more?
-£5m x 98 years -£490 so it will cost the government almost £300m over the lease even after our rent payments.
or they take £200m now and effectively be £500m better off not have to worry about it anymore
doe that make sense?
Given the choice of:
  • a) Paying £200m upfront now

OR

b) Paying £200m in installments over 99 years (+ he won't need to worry about the majority of these years due to life expectancy!)
Which do you honestly think Sullivan would choose?
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Is the £2million not somehow linked to inflation? Might cost £2 million to buy an iPhone by 2116
Guys104
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Guys104 »

The previous massive building mistake by the government which cost over £600million pounds to build and over a million a month to maintain was the millennium dome ,it was sold eventually to AEG for allegedly £1 ,whilst I don't think we will be that lucky I wouldn't be surprised that it is on the minds of the board that a deal can be done maybe not in the near future but eventually
Ben

Post by Ben »

WestHamIFC wrote: Given the choice of:
  • a) Paying £200m upfront now

OR

b) Paying £200m in installments over 99 years (+ he won't need to worry about the majority of these years due to life expectancy!)
Which do you honestly think Sullivan would choose?
obviously the first, but I am sure buying it would be more like £10m per year for 20 years or something.
he might already have a buyer for the club waiting for such a deal to be made, he might even be able to negotiate the % clauses out of the contract as part of the deal
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

hammerdivone wrote:
Our seats are row 20 and we stayed nice and dry so no idea how you got wet 17 rows further back Pinky?

Although a couple in front of us did bear the brunt of a roof leak
It was the East stand that took the brunt of the rain, I assume because the wind was pushing it that way.
I am surprised it managed to make its way back to row 37 though, reckon that must be a new record..
Is a good job that there are lots of empty seats though as quite a few near the front just upped sticks and moved backwards.
Hurrah for our ticketing system and 'sold out' games.