✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by DasNutNock »

13 stone and pace to burn. Not too many like that in the PL.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

Antonio and Collins are my favourite players by a country mile. Just love watching him play.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Thrives every bit as much as Carroll from the long ball, miss out the midfield style. Looks fantastic when we get it forward quickly, looks lost when we try and play through the middle. Has so much going for him and seems to be working on the technical side as well.

Would this work?
------------------Hernandez
Arnautovic------Lanzini-------Antonio

But play the quick long balls out wider rather than to Carroll? Obiang could sit in front of the back 3/5
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

That would have to be in front of a 4 unless Arnie or Antonio were a wing back. Would leave us exposed through the middle. Lanzini in behind Antonio and Hernandez in a 3-5-2 is possibly the best solution using those 3 but if we are to continue as a 3-4-3 and AC is fit one of those is likely to start from the bench.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

-------------------------Hart
Zabaleta/Collins-----Reid-----Ogbonna/Fonte
Antonio---Obiang-----Kouyate--Cresswell
---------------Lanzini--------Arnautovic
---------------------Hernandez

---------Fonte/Collins-----Reid-----Ogbonna
Zabaleta---Obiang-----Kouyate--Cresswell
-----------------------Lanzini
---------------Antonio--------Hernandez

--Zabaleta/Collins-----Reid-----Ogbonna/Fonte
Antonio---Obiang-----Kouyate--Cresswell
------------------------Lanzini
----------------Carroll--------Hernandez

I've always said our personel suits 3-4-3 or 3-5-2. Just a few examples above of how to fit them all in imo with a very strong bench. Let's be honest with our injuries everyone will get game time.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I particularly like the 13 man formation.
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Colours never run wrote:I particularly like the 13 man formation.
I think you've got the wrong end of the forward slash :)
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Antonio should never play any position that has the word 'back' in it.

He's a danger near any penalty box, let's make it the oppositions not ours!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Hart
Fonte Kouyate Reid
Zabaleta Obiang Lanzini Cresswell
Hernandez
Carroll Antonio

Kouyate can move forward into a 4231 if necessary
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Antonio needs a few yards before he is up to full pace. Having him on the flanks - where he has played for most of his career - is the best option. Fullbacks are also smaller, more timid, than centrehalves. Gives him another competitive edge.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

^
this.
with Cresswell & Arnautovic crossing from the left Antonio versus the opposition fullback will be a no contest in the air.
Right hand side of a four in midfield for me, but then the question is where does Lanzini play?
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

The only concern is centre halves getting wise to this and coming across to sweep up, because we haven't got enough bodies forward to keep them occupied elsewhere.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Colours never run wrote: One thing I've often heard criticised about him and have questioned myself in the past about his game is his technical ability. I'm starting to come to.the conclusion that he's actually more skilful than we've given him credit for.
Some of us saw it from day one. :wink:

His best role is no role - let him play wherever he wants across the forward line. He's Gareth Bale on roids.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Got to say he has really worked on his touch and dribble.

Before he was a little headless and raw, sometime abit of kick and run and awkward, against Huddersfield he looked a lot more in control of everything he did, with his dribbling and skills he looked a lot smoother than before so kudo to him and the coaching team for working on that.

Really looking a lot more all round than before. Looking forward to seeing more of his this season.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Morocco Mole wrote:
Some of us saw it from day one. :wink:

His best role is no role - let him play wherever he wants across the forward line. He's Gareth Bale on roids.
Wouldn't that pretty much make him the best player in the world?

I love Antonio. Direct, powerful and fast. His shooting is awful though, which is a bit annoying because he scored some real belters for Forest. But it seems every time he tries to have a pop from outside the box for us it gets shanked wide.

If we get some spot on delivery from the left, he'd clean up working the back post and full back as the second option in the box behind Carroll's primary run.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Jumby wrote:The only concern is centre halves getting wise to this and coming across to sweep up, because we haven't got enough bodies forward to keep them occupied elsewhere.
Pulls them out of position, though. If a centre half moves over to cover Antonio with the right back, playing anything that has three forwards means we have at least a two on two situation for the other defenders, not to mention with someone like Lanzini or Kouyate coming through from deep as well.

Didn't see what many saw against Huddersfield, where I thought he was poor for much of the game aside from one or two runs. I thought he was even less good against Newcastle. But against Southampton he was indominatable. If he can play like he did in that game more, he'll definitely earn being a guaranteed starter.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

Antonio is an immense player but i still feel he has to work on his crossing, but his physical ability to just brush aside a full back is superb.The best example of him was what he did to create the Hernandez chance that hit the bar, he brutally stormed past the defender and his cross in the position he got himself into was **** and what saved him was a very lucky deflection.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Aztec Hammer wrote:His shooting is awful though, which is a bit annoying because he scored some real belters for Forest. But it seems every time he tries to have a pop from outside the box for us it gets shanked wide.
This really bugs me too - surely you can't forget how to shoot properly after you move to a different club? This is why I'm against him playing on the left, cutting inside, and wasting everything with a godawful shot. It worked at Forest because, like you say, he scored some real belters. Much rather have him on the right hand side.

Thought he was great against Huddersfield though.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

it wasn't the runs that impressed me the other night, he's always had that, it's that he was as often as not finding a man or putting in a decent cross at the end of them.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

What I liked so much on Monday was the interchange of places between all 3 Strikers but in particular Antonio and Hernandez. Switching sides throughout the game which seemed to drive their defence barmy not knowing who to pick up and how to deal with them posing different styles of threat. Even Carroll was at it where he'd pull off out wide to either anticipate an incoming header to knock down to 1 of them now occupying his central space or just to pick up a loose ball.

It was like watching a Strikers version of hiding a ball under 3 cups trick and I ****ing loved watching them at it. :lol:

Poor Centre halves didn't know whether to stick or twist following them, full backs twisted up in knots falling over themselves, was great to see.