West Bromwich Albion 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: West Bromwich Albion v West Ham United match thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Wilko1304 wrote:Gotta admit, TOMOS - he wasn't wrong about any of those things. Reid ran 40 yards to try get a player sent off, something I'd deplore the other way around.
I agree - but Reid was our Captain yesterday and only the Captain is suppose to speak to the Referee , the Ref wasn't going to run to him so Reid had to run 40 yards to speak to him - Football is a passionate game [ and also a bit cynical - who else noticed Leicester getting yet another penalty yesterday with the player going nowhere ? ] - so what's good for the goose etc - the players were under pressure to get something out of the game yesterday so I quite understand Reid and Bilic especially demanding a red card , the man is fighting to keep his job .
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Regardless of how we played, you have to say West Brom were shocking to watch. Only one shot on goal at home to a team that's not been playing great, with little interest in even attacking let alone scoring. How can the Baggies fans stomach that every week?
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

sendô wrote:Regardless of how we played, you have to say West Brom were shocking to watch. Only one shot on goal at home to a team that's not been playing great, with little interest in even attacking let alone scoring. How can the Baggies fans stomach that every week?
The Football may be shyte but the Goat Curry is rather good [ so I've heard ] . :)
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:I agree - but Reid was our Captain yesterday and only the Captain is suppose to speak to the Referee , the Ref wasn't going to run to him so Reid had to run 40 yards to speak to him - Football is a passionate game [ and also a bit cynical - who else noticed Leicester getting yet another penalty yesterday with the player going nowhere ? ] - so what's good for the goose etc - the players were under pressure to get something out of the game yesterday so I quite understand Reid and Bilic especially demanding a red card , the man is fighting to keep his job .
I did, but for once it actually was a penalty !
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Doc H Ball wrote:I thought at the time it was a possible red because of the studs up nature of the challenge rather than a clear goalscoring chance.

I couldn't be bothered to watch it on the box - did he definitely get Hernandez?
It was an out of control tackle, any outfield player (esp one of ours) would have seen red.

As usual, apart from the football it was a great day though.

Had a pint with Gnome, two beers and cheese roll, change from a fiver. :scarfer:
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Big George wrote:
It was an out of control tackle, any outfield player (esp one of ours) would have seen red.
:
I've only watched it on MOTD but that was my thought too.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Thought he was the best performer on the pitch.

Cannot remember a single decision I disagreed with. Every call. And nice to see a referee taking time and calm before awarding things.
Have to agree with that, never a red card for their goalie.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Cannot remember a single decision I disagreed with. Every call. And nice to see a referee taking time and calm before awarding things.
Hammer.CA wrote:Have to agree with that, never a red card for their goalie.
I'm guessing neither of you actually watched the game then?

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

I watched the game but am not too sure what that photo is actually showing us though.
I thought it looked like a clear goal scoring chance to me, any reason why it wasnt?
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Well respect the point, we're out of the bottom three.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

mushy wrote:I watched the game but am not too sure what that photo is actually showing us though.
I thought it looked like a clear goal scoring chance to me, any reason why it wasnt?
What it shows is the second before Hernadez pushes the ball on, Foster is challenging with studs up and foot off the ground. Automatic red card for any player, irrespective of whether there were defenders behind him or it was a goalscoring opportunity etc.
ponder

Post by ponder »

mushy wrote:I watched the game but am not too sure what that photo is actually showing us though.
I the eyes of the law, the ball needs to be moving directly towards the goal for it to be considered a clear goal scoring chance, as well as there being no covering defenders. In this case, the ball was travelling to the left of goal and there were 2 defenders covering.

The argument for a red was that it was a high and reckless challenge, which is open to interpretation. A yellow was *probably* the right call, but I've seen players sent off for less.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I thought it was a red at the time and after, but all the pundits I've heard since are adamant it was just a cheeky yellow card at best because there's 'defenders' covering. :eh:

I don't care if it's at the other end of the pitch, that's a red for a reckless challenge not in control of what they're doing. Just like David Luiz did today. Red card all day long but because it's West Ham... *adds to the long list of wronged decisions*
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

How is his foot being a foot off the ground studs showing open to interpretation?

If their right back had made the same tackle would he have stayed on?
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

If it was our goalkeeper he'd have been sent off no questions asked.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Admire the way L'peas quick feet avoided serious injury.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

the best and worst of antonio's attacking play in one moment. absolutely heroic work to hold up the ball, shrug off a towering west brom centre half like dandruff and set up a golden opportunity to roll it through for our lethal poacher, choosing instead to hit a daisy cutter straight at the keeper from 25 yards.

moments like this remind us how much we miss lanzini.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It also shows how Hernandez can occupy excellent goal scoring opportunities as 1 of a wide Forward 3. Sometimes Antonio it guilty of getting carried away with himself but a bit of me is sympathetic as the chance created is all of his own doing and probably thinks in that split second I deserve a pop for working it out of nothing. Doesn't make him right however as a sharp footballing mind would have just player in The man to slot it home.

I do think a lot of it is down to getting used to one another still and in time they'll begin working a relationship between them to know what each other likes up front. Antonio and Carroll have both missed the entire pre season and some early matches already and it shows in instances like the above. The more they play together, then bang goal rush. That's just my little theory anyway.
Polaroid
Has liked: 613 likes
Total likes: 220 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Image
Cripes! That's a bit too much Right Wing on the "right wing" for my liking.

On a serious note it looks so obvious when you see a still like this one. Three points really can come down to split second decisions
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Bloke was playing for Tooting and Mitcham (shout out to the massiv) 5 minutes ago. He ain't Messi. Let's cherish what he does do better than most (anyone?) rather than dwell on what he sometimes doesn't. Noble would've spotted that ball mind you but he wouldn't have won it in the first place. We're West Ham, let's try not to forget it.