West Bromwich Albion 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Re: West Bromwich Albion v West Ham United match thread

Post by pezza20 »

Have to agree with that, never a red card for their goalie.[/quote]

Incorrect, no red card as there was cover, but the 'tackle' alone deserved a red, as he was off the ground, didn't get anywhere near the ball, knew he wouldn't win the tackle, and it was shin high and off the ground - look at the tackle Luis was sent off for which was tamer in my opinion given he was front side on.
steveherts66

Post by steveherts66 »

If that was an outfield player going in that high from so far away it would have been red 100% but because it's a GK the ref only gives yellow!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

pezza20 wrote:the 'tackle' alone deserved a red, as he was off the ground, didn't get anywhere near the ball, knew he wouldn't win the tackle, and it was shin high and off the ground
This needs to be highlighted.

We go **** on by the ref
In a critical situation (game altering)
Again
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

hammer1975 wrote:Seen 'em given

We seem to have consistently been on the wrong side of 'seen em given' for about three seasons
Felt this at the time and still do. It's not this one decision - it's the feeling that we 'lose' the marginals so often.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Image
Being able to find that much space in a Pulis bank of defenders is what you pay 140 nicker a week for.

Using the Slav rule of thumb, your Auntie Mavis figured out at the weekend that despite his energy, playing him wide takes most of his particular skills out of the game for no obvious benefit, so the countdown clock has begun - we just have to wait until mid-November for Slav to get there too.
ChazHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by ChazHammer »

Got to say that I can't really understand all those defending the yellow card that the ref gave Foster, instead of red, for all the reasons already highlighted, around raised foot, studs up...

If Arautovic/Collins/Noble had done something like that, would they have been off..?

Irrespective, we managed to get a point out of the game which supports the formation being used I think, and against less defensive-minded opposition we may have had more luck in attack.
Although, against more attack-minded opposition, I wonder how our defence would have held up too...

Anyone still in favour of 4 at the back?
Or do we need to be adapting to the opposition...?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Image
That's an amazing picture. Antonio really should've done better and found that pass. He'd done brilliantly to win the ball back.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

hammerdivone wrote:
I'm guessing neither of you actually watched the game then?

I watched in the away end behind the goal directly in line with the infringement, about 15-20 ft higher, I have no idea where RARS was standing, where were you stood?
I'm not saying I haven't seen them given incorrectly on other occasions, didn't make those decisions right either.

seaside hammer

Post by seaside hammer »

give credit were credit is due x2 clean sheet is great for us and well done.

If someone had said to me at the beginning of the week we would win Monday night 2-0 and 0-0 on Sat at WBA I would of took it all day long. Could there be improvements? of course, massively as there is always room to improve but its been a good week.

x2 clean sheets will only give confidence to Hart & co so onwards & upwards to Sat which will be completely different opposition against a top spurs team and be a real test of us as a team and Slav's tactical knowledge.

COYI
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I think we will see the best out of Hernandez once lanzinis returns

Antonio should have passed to him yesterday but Mikel loves a shot

Lanzini will have the level head to just play him in

Once he returns watch Hernandez go on a run of goals

10 league goals by Xmas id say
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

We were massively better on the ball and at keeping the ball here than we were against Huddersfield. Noticably so. Completely kept it away from Albion at periods through the game and were much sharper with passing than on Monday.

Just lacked that little bit of something in the final third - was screaming at Antonio when he didn't make that pass to Hernandez. We really need someone who can pick those passes in behind the front two. I did think that Hernandez was a lot closer to Carroll this time than on Monday, still playing all over the opposition half and swapping around with Antonio but we were almost playing a 1-1-1 kind of formation amongst the three of Antonio, Hernandez, and Carroll.

Good on Bilic for trying to change the game when Collins came off, too. Would have been all too easy to bring Ogbonna (or Rice) on for him but instead he stuck Arnautovic on to try and change our attacking game.

Fonte MotM for me. Didn't give them a sniff all game.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mumbles87 wrote:
Antonio should have passed to him yesterday but Mikel loves a shot

Lanzini will have the level head to just play him in

Once he returns watch Hernandez go on a run of goals

You say that, but I've found Lanzini guilty of the same thing. I remember vividly him taking a shot against Spurs in the 1st half when he should have laid it on a plate for Calleri in the middle. In the hear of the moment, sometimes players get carried away with themselves and I can understand it. You do hope they see the right choice more often than not though, regardless of if it's Antonio or Lanzinis of the world.

Happens too often though, then I can imagine Hernandez losing his **** in the dressing room and rightly so when it's the kind of service he thrives off. Because he will more often than not slot them away.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I don't think Foster was a red but if Luiz yesterday was a red then Foster's was
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

fmgod wrote:I don't think Foster was a red but if Luiz yesterday was a red then Foster's was

:eh:

Then surely it's a red, then? Luiz was a stone wall sending off.

I think what's confused the pundits is the fact it's a Goalkeeper that's making the tackle and in by doing So, they're default reaction is to take into account whether there's a last man covering, rather than concentrating solely on whether it was a reckless challenge or not wherever it took place on the pitch.
Last edited by Colours never run on Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Thought we played well again on Saturday, yes the game was a little tight on clear cut chances but we did our jobs well against a well organised side and another clean sheet so all in all :thup:

Obiang look a lot fresher than previous weeks, just needs to find his range now as his passing was WAY off on Saturday.

Big Mic does get a little excited when he has space anywhere within 30 years of goal and tends to shoot always. I think he will learn that now Hernandez is here that there is always going to be someone in a better position, Carroll never moved into the spaces like Hernandez so a few more games together think we'll see a difference, add Lanzini in to be playing them balls through we're quid's in.

The best thing about Hernandez is he will always make those movements whether the ball comes or not so as soon as we are up to speed with him we will be playing more to his strengths. I remember when we first signed Di Canio, he was on a totally different wave length to everyone else but when the players learned what he was about that started to play to his strengths which I hope is what will happen with Hernandez.

Will be interesting to see how Bilic plays us now, we brought on £50 millions pounds off the bench Saturday.. That's what our team was worth 3 years ago haha
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

fmgod wrote:I don't think Foster was a red but if Luiz yesterday was a red then Foster's was

Luiz was two Yellows , lads , he'd already been booked for his overhead kick attempt [ which I thought was harsh ] .
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Hammer.CA wrote:I watched in the away end behind the goal directly in line with the infringement, about 15-20 ft higher, I have no idea where RARS was standing, where were you stood?
I'm not saying I haven't seen them given incorrectly on other occasions, didn't make those decisions right either.
In my lounge for this game.

So you're still saying it wasn't a red?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Luiz was two Yellows , lads , he'd already been booked for his overhead kick attempt [ which I thought was harsh ] .
Luiz got a straight red for his tackle. He'd been booked but it was irrelevant.
Colours never run

The Old Man of Storr wrote:

Luiz was two Yellows , lads , he'd already been booked for his overhead kick attempt [ which I thought was harsh ] .

He received a yellow prior but the tackle was a straight red card (or I don't remember the Ref brandishing a yellow before the red unless I missed It?).
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

fmgod wrote:I don't think Foster was a red....
Why not?

The first picture shows Hernandez with the ball on his foot, the middle picture shows a fraction before contact, Foster studs up and a foot off the ground and the last picture show after contact with Hernandez, with the ball pushed passed him and his foot is still off the ground. Which bit of that is not a wreckless challenge?