West Bromwich Albion 0-0 West Ham Utd (16/09/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: West Bromwich Albion v West Ham United match thread

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

HammerMan2004 wrote:quote="Beavis Danzig"]
[/quote

That's an amazing picture. Antonio really should've done better and found that pass. He'd done brilliantly to win the ball back.
In an ideal world yeah maybe Antonio should have passed but he created everything about that chance , he had run down the left from near the half way line , lost the ball then shoulder charged the West Brom centre half out of the way and won it back , he looked up once then saw his chance for glory - if he'd hit the ball better and scored we'd be talking about it for years to come , I'm not 100% sure but I think his last goal was back in March so we can't blame him for wanting to get on the score sheet .
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I'm just thankful Hernandez leg wasn't planted into the ground otherwise that's his season done. That's how bad it could have been but fortunately he anticipated the challenge. Proper whince moment.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I don't think look at pictures is a fair reflection, videos maybe but pinpoint freeze frame images doesn't portray an image of the game at full speed, well to me it doesn't.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

I think it looks worse in real time and replays at full speed.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2639 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

fmgod wrote:I don't think look at pictures is a fair reflection, videos maybe but pinpoint freeze frame images doesn't portray an image of the game at full speed, well to me it doesn't.
All I saw in ' real time ' was Andy Carroll waving for the ball in an offside position , perhaps Antonio only saw what I saw and decided a shot was the better option .
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

To be fair I've pretty much forget about the game it was that drab, could've played for a week and still been 0-0
Colours never run

fmgod wrote:To be fair I've pretty much forget about the game it was that drab, could've played for a week and still been 0-0

I was saying the same come the end. Didn't matter if we played till midnight, there would have been no goals. That kinda game.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Colours never run wrote: You say that, but I've found Lanzini guilty of the same thing. I remember vividly him taking a shot against Spurs in the 1st half when he should have laid it on a plate for Calleri in the middle.
"Shoot, Manu!!".

"Give it to Calleri and let him shoot, Manu!!".

I know which would get my vote 99 times out of 100.
Colours never run

And 99 times out of 100 I'd normally agree with you. Thing is, it just so happened to be the 1 time out of 100 he really should have done the right thing. He knew it too straight after.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

fmgod wrote:I don't think look at pictures is a fair reflection, videos maybe but pinpoint freeze frame images doesn't portray an image of the game at full speed, well to me it doesn't.
i'm not trying to be pedantic with it so i didn't highlight a pinpoint frame, hernandez is showing for it for a good few seconds, to the point that even our pissed up geordie hero has noticed and is signalling for antonio to put him through (either that or he's been talking to PDC a bit too much about politics).

iron mic created that chance all by himself and had every right to finish off his roy of the rovers moment with a pop at goal, but the making of the man would've been to put his team mate through in spite of all that.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

Beavis Danzig wrote:the best and worst of antonio's attacking play in one moment. absolutely heroic work to hold up the ball, shrug off a towering west brom centre half like dandruff and set up a golden opportunity to roll it through for our lethal poacher, choosing instead to hit a daisy cutter straight at the keeper from 25 yards.

moments like this remind us how much we miss lanzini.
Antonio's continued lack of awareness of what is going on around him will always be his Achilles heel.
Hence why his passing is often poor.
Paradoxically playing on instinct is also the reason he is at times such a good player.
He is an enigma, hence the reason nobody really knows his true best position, even after all this time.
Iron Alex
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron Alex »

Content with that display. Sure, it was probably one of the worst games of football I've witnessed in the flesh, but one which we dominated.

A win and a clean sheet tomorrow night and then we can go into Spurs with a bit more confidence. They aren't going to park the bus at our place so we should be able to create a few more opportunities.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

That was a hard watch.

Positives:

Solid clean sheet.
Ability to change the forward line if not working.
A point - They will get points there as they are organised.
Team spirit.
The fans
Not long to get home as I live in High Wycombe.

Negatives:

One dimensional with Carroll.
Missed Lanzini as he carries the ball through the lines drawing opposition to him.
Boring to watch.
For all of our possession we did not look like scoring.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Bloke at work is an amateur referee. I showed him the images of Foster's challenge and he said -

Difficult to say based on these stills which are very blurred. I’d want to see the video in real time.
Given the location of challenge and fact that player is going wider still, and based on advice given to referees regarding interpretation of what constitutes denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, he would likely say it’s not denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.
Then the debate is around the tackle itself-it’s definitely reckless which is a yellow card. In the referee’s opinion it’s then a judgement as to whether the tackle is endangering the safety of the player-if it is then it’s a red card-if not then yellow.
Middle photo shows studs showing, but not in actual proximity to players leg.
With this limited information , I’d say ref got it right-Yellow card for reckless play, but it’s borderline.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Don't think it was a red and it definitely isn't worse than Luiz's. Force is entirely different and so is control. Where the ball is, especially with Hernandez challenging with his foot off the ground, makes it a very different type of challenge.

My feeling on reds is if you can see why the referee has made the decision, then it cannot be an awful one. I could see it either way so cannot go along with us being "screwed"
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

brownout wrote:Then the debate is around the tackle itself-it’s definitely reckless which is a yellow card. In the referee’s opinion it’s then a judgement as to whether the tackle is endangering the safety of the player-if it is then it’s a red card-if not then yellow.
Middle photo shows studs showing, but not in actual proximity to players leg.
With this limited information , I’d say ref got it right-Yellow card for reckless play, but it’s borderline.
This was a fraction of a second before contact with Hernandez, lunging with studs showing.

I would say this is serious foul play under the IFAB Law 12 IFAB

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

SENDING-OFF OFFENCES

A player, substitute or substituted player who commits any of the following offences is sent off:

.........serious foul play