Rio's becoming a boxer

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Re: Rio's becoming a boxer

Post by Up the Junction »

norse wrote:then again he is an absolute clown and a laughing stock of the entire nation
Why's that, norse?
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

Looks like I'm the only one to wish him luck then? Fair play to the bloke there are much easier things to go and do, feels like he needs a real goal in his sporting life that stopping playing has left.

Good luck Rio
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

Ozza wrote:Looks like I'm the only one to wish him luck then? Fair play to the bloke there are much easier things to go and do, feels like he needs a real goal in his sporting life that stopping playing has left.

Good luck Rio

Not the only one...

Be lucky, Rio. :thup:
norse
Has liked: 374 likes
Total likes: 830 likes

Post by norse »

Up the Junction wrote: Why's that, norse?
Long story short, he's got more a lot more ego than brains and every time he appears in the media he proves it. Norwegians tend to not like people who think they are better than others.

He got a respectable career out of limited talent though, which he deserves credit for.

It's just the personality that has been a problem for him - John Carew actually floored him for being a **** on international duty some 10-12 years ago.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Amazed at the stick he is getting

I think people who follow the sport now it can be a circus at the best of times, so just wish him the best and hope he doesn't get hurt

It seems to be a lot more of the 'casual' fan that seems outraged he is trying his hand at boxing. There is plenty more stuff to complain about in boxing than this.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Do you think David Haye would get much praise if he announced he was going to become a professional footballer?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Not at all, but boxing unfortunately can be used as a publicity stunt in ways in which football cannot

For example the requirements for turning pro, fighting 'journeymen' when you are a prospect, favourable matchmaking by promoters.

It just doesn't bother me that much. I get more wound up at promoters ripping fans off with PPV prices. Promoters working in conjunction with ticket tout organisations (see Matchroom/Stubhub). Consistently awful scorecards in World Title fights. Those things bother me, and I wish sparked more outrage from sporting pundits who rarely usually bother to cover the sport all year round.
Rafalution

Post by Rafalution »

Nesticles wrote: It seems to be a lot more of the 'casual' fan that seems outraged he is trying his hand at boxing. There is plenty more stuff to complain about in boxing than this.
The one real lesson that promoters learnt from Mayweather and McGregor is that boxings fans will pay to watch any old *****.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Good luck to him, I don't see what the problem is. If I had the time and money to train I'd be a professional boxer, or at least give it a go, I used to dream of that **** as a kid!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Rafalution wrote:
The one real lesson that promoters learnt from Mayweather and McGregor is that boxings fans will pay to watch any old *****.
As ridiculous as it was, Mayweather vs McGregor was clearly not just 'any old ****'
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

DasNutNock wrote:
Hotel Management at Wolverhampton Poly?

:D
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Puff Daddy wrote:I wish him more success than Julian Dicks had with with his professional golfing career. That never really got off the ground. He must have been crap at golf
He played off scratch - that means a handicap of zero, which is some pretty good golf. So to answer your question, not crap at all. Far from it.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Rio as a boxer? Fighting people who have spent years, decades even, training and competing as a boxer? FFS!
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

It's the world we live in now. Obsession with media and things that are out of the ordinary.

What a bout a nickname though?

Rio 'The Carnival' Ferdinand
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Rafalution wrote: The one real lesson that promoters learnt from Mayweather and McGregor is that boxings fans will pay to watch any old *****.
Plenty of UFC fans would have bought that fight
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Good to see the guys who know boxing trying to steer him away from this folly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/ ... y-hurt-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pleased the gym and training has helped him in his grief but he has to get real and realise his limitations. What's the point in training to the point of being fit enough to step into the ring only to have the crap knocked out him and be carried out of it and run the risk of serious injury with kids who've only just lost their mother.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

This says it all -

"We've all seen players die on the football pitch's

"We used to sort out our problems with Henry Cooper style brown gloves".

I swear the more money people have the more delusional they become.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Good luck to him but age really isn't on his side is it? By the time he's ready to fight somebody professionally he'll be 39-40.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Should try jujitsu instead. No chance of a head injury there, although there's always the chance of a limb injury if he's daft enough not to tap. World Cup winning Bixente Lizarazu is a black belt in BJJ, having trained with notorious leg-mangler Rousimar Palhares, among others. Picked up a European title in a specific weight/age/belt class, according to wiki.

That said, he's clearly only doing this so he can have more TV shows made about him, and submission fighting's never likely to "move the needle" in this country.
Centre Half
Has liked: 184 likes
Total likes: 309 likes

Post by Centre Half »

snooperpooper wrote:Good to see the guys who know boxing trying to steer him away from this folly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/ ... y-hurt-no/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pleased the gym and training has helped him in his grief but he has to get real and realise his limitations. What's the point in training to the point of being fit enough to step into the ring only to have the crap knocked out him and be carried out of it and run the risk of serious injury with kids who've only just lost their mother.
The same Barry Hearn who sat in a sauna with Lee Purdy so he could dehydrate to make weight for a fight.

Dehydration, what everyone in boxing knows is the major cause of brain damage in fights.

Hearn is a snide ****