Little things in life that make you smile

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: Little things in life that make you smile

Post by S-H »

WCpete wrote:I can't say I'm necessarily smiling, but I am relieved and deeply grateful, so in a way smiling. My wife escaped from one of the hotels that burned to the ground in Santa Rosa, Sonoma (Wine Country here in the Bay Area) just minutes before it was engulfed. The halls were burning when she escaped. We lost our van in the fire too. Napa and Sonoma are devastated, and we have friends who lost their homes, but thank goodness my old lady made it out.

EDIT: and just for sh*ts and giggles we just had a 4.1 quake, you know, California just checking to see if we're paying attention.
Just heard about this on the news!

Glad to hear your missus is ok, apparently 10 dead, efforts are going towards saving lives rather than fighting the fire!

Stay safe.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

somerset-hammer wrote:I can't say I'm necessarily smiling, but I am relieved and deeply grateful, so in a way smiling. My wife escaped from one of the hotels that burned to the ground in Santa Rosa, Sonoma (Wine Country here in the Bay Area) just minutes before it was engulfed. The halls were burning when she escaped. We lost our van in the fire too. Napa and Sonoma are devastated, and we have friends who lost their homes, but thank goodness my old lady made it out.

EDIT: and just for sh*ts and giggles we just had a 4.1 quake, you know, California just checking to see if we're paying attention.

Just heard about this on the news!

Glad to hear your missus is ok, apparently 10 dead, efforts are going towards saving lives rather than fighting the fire!

Stay safe.
This video shows what my wife had to drive through once she got out of the hotel.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/ ... to-safety/

I'm not going to derail this thread so suffice to say, a day on and I'm smiling ear to ear.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Holy ****.

I'm glad you guys are ok Pete.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Seen that on the news tonight. Sweet Jesus, that looks horrendous. Glad to hear your OK WCPete - some heartbreaking stories from some of the people interviewed.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Buying a jigsaw tomorrow then a multi tool on Thursday. F*cking loving this DIY lark.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

Bought myself an Evolution Rage 3 saw a couple of years ago , didn't really need it , I just wanted it
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

FreeWheeling wrote:Bought myself an Evolution Rage 3 saw a couple of years ago , didn't really need it , I just wanted it
I may be entering that territory now, but the price of entry-level power tools is so low, when the bargains present themselves, its difficult to say no. I'm finding myself looking for projects to do to make use of the tools - daft way to motivate myself, but it appears to be working.

Also, £100 or so on kit is a pittance compared to how much the last couple of tradesmen I employed took off me to do rubbish jobs. I can do rubbish work myself, no need to pay some other c*nt to.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

DasNutNock wrote:Buying a jigsaw tomorrow then a multi tool on Thursday. F*cking loving this DIY lark.
Nothing more rewarding than completing a DIY job yourself, and of course, buying the right tools to do said job, one of life's real pleasures if you are into DIY.

My lady had to get up really early this morning, I am usually out the door as she is waking up. Watched her drying herself off in the en-suite with the door open, was very nice erotic viewing. The only downside, was I got the real horn, she jumped on me, kissed me, and said until later, bye.....

I may have to bang one out at my desk...frustrated to f***...
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

You got makes and models in mind for the jigsaw/multi-tool?
De Walt is my current power tool of choice.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

I use the Bosch cordless range as the batteries are all the same i.e. interchangeable so work even on the hedgetrimmer and strimmer too with a very good battery life
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

DasNutNock wrote:Buying a jigsaw tomorrow then a multi tool on Thursday. F*cking loving this DIY lark.
Clacton-ammer wrote: Nothing more rewarding than completing a DIY job yourself, and of course, buying the right tools to do said job, one of life's real pleasures if you are into DIY.

My lady had to get up really early this morning, I am usually out the door as she is waking up. Watched her drying herself off in the en-suite with the door open, was very nice erotic viewing. The only downside, was I got the real horn, she jumped on me, kissed me, and said until later, bye.....

I may have to bang one out at my desk...frustrated to ****...
DIY indeed !
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

mushy wrote:You got makes and models in mind for the jigsaw/multi-tool?
De Walt is my current power tool of choice.
You lot all invest in proper kit, much better than what I've been buying. I've been picking up the cheapest stuff I can find, because I won't get the miles out of it.

Circular saw - Aldi "Workzone" £30
Angle grinder - Aldi Workzone £20
Jigsaw - Screwfix Engerger £20
18v drill/driver - Argos £35

Buttons, really, but they've all made light work of this bathroom refit so far. Just tiling and some plumbing to sort and some minor boxing in, and that ought to sort everything but the vinyl floor.

Whole lot will end up coming in about £1400 including wages, tools, etc. Not even that fussed about the cost - I'm enjoying doing it and I'm learning a bunch of stuff from a real pro.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

wow, when my mid-life crisis kicks in, i hope i'll go for a motorbike...
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

stuboy wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have some of that!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Guess who can't use a computer, doesn't know how to send an email but is recommending mobile cryptocurrency :arry:

It's his verified account so he's either been hacked or gone on an intensive learning course. Or gone mad.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Guess who can't use a computer, doesn't know how to send an email but is recommending mobile cryptocurrency :arry:

It's his verified account so he's either been hacked or gone on an intensive learning course. Or gone mad.
Some of the replies are top drawer, including the cryptocurrency firm assuring everyone that they have not paid him to say that.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Going into Record & Tape Exchange in Notting Hill this lunch time and thumbing through the vinyl. Haven’t done that in years and the place hasn’t changed a bit since I used to go there back in the 80s. Some horrendous vinyl in there though - looking for some Sabbath I found Boney M, The Bee Gees, The Bay City Rollers and Blancmange.

Holy Christ I need a pint.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

When Now TV (Sky) see that I keep cancelling their PAYG contract and they offer up discounts to get me to buy. If they think I won't cancel before it goes full price, they've got another think coming. :)