Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Wilko1304 »

Pedro in for Andy and go to a 4-3-3. We played some lovely stuff and Hernandez showed how good a footballer he is. A class above the mediocre strikers we have elsewhere. Front Three looks perfect and Lanzini will flit between midfield and attack wonderfully, especially with another game under his belt.

Looked dangerous with 10 and they'll feel hard done by to have conceded. Fonte again deserving credit and happy he's survived the cull of last year's transfers
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

A good day out but one which left me feeling we had dropped two points rather than won one, despite Burnley being denied a stonewall penalty .

At 11 Vs 11 we were easily the better side and well worth our lead .The sending off though changed the game and Carroll has let himself, his Manager and his team mates down with his lack of professionalism in getting a second yellow so soon after the first .However , we still created enough chances to win the game and Antonio really should have scored at the end of a fantastic move involving Lanzini, Hernandez and himself combining well .

The positives for me were the general work rate and application of the team, Obiangs performance when he came on and Reids solid showing throughout .The negatives were Cresswell's inability to prevent the cross coming in that led to their goal , the sending off and sadly, and most disappointingly, the behaviour of Hernandez when subbed .

We've had better players than him get hooked and accepted it with good grace , he needs to get over himself .

Generally an ok showing , with perhaps the Manager getting it slightly wrong by not locking it up when he had the chance to do so .The fact we left with just the single point though was squarely down to Carroll .
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

ballantine wrote:It's almost as we'd played most of the game with fewer men are getting tired or something.
PrincipleHammer wrote:Are we not on the same side? Why the sarcasm? Just a decent conversation would suffice.
I am very sorry I hurt your feelings and I will never use sarcasm again.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Beavis Danzig wrote:.Bilic survives but the underlying problems remain - the team are not playing well and his player selection and tactics are ineffective at best and diabolical at worse.

I'll take the point but not the poor performance again, even taking in the 10 men scenario.
what on earth are you talking about?[/quote]

Sorry Beavis, I'll try to be more specific for you. Carroll and Hernandez patently hasn't worked for 3 matches and Bilic persists with it. Why? We are wasting our best potential goal scorer, Hernandez, by playing him out of position and leaving our most consistent goal scorer Sakho on the bench to play for Carroll. Why? Not good decisions. The only top notch football we played was the move resulting in Antonio shooting (a superb build up made by Hernandez) which was on the ground and through the middle. Yet Bilic sets the team up for crosses to Carroll. Why? Second half he made the team sit back and invite Burnley on, we hardly had a player in their half when they attacked. We just hoofed the ball into their half to them and on they came again resulting in Burnley having almost twice the possesion (62% / 38%) and they had 60% more shots in the second half compared to the first. Bilic subs Hernandez who was clearly pissed off (and the crowd booed) and man of the match Antonio (again) was patently frustrated at the negative play. Yet again we were in the last 2 on MOTD (we've only been above that once this season). Record signing Arnautovic brooded around and looked uninterested before he was subbed. We got a lucky goal and defended well but the tactics and substitution second half were not good decisions. These were direct decisions by Bilic and as I said he survives yet again for another game next week where he now has to play a team to suit Hernandez at last (hopefully). With him and Lanzini, I predict a big win and a much improved performance.
Last edited by Hamburger on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Tonight is the first time I’ve watched motd in ages. The analysis still hasn’t improved, I see. They showed a few replays from various angles of the Joe Hart challenge and declared that he “got away with one” and it was a “definite penalty”, completely ignoring the fact that he played the ball, and played it before he took the player. Muppets.
SirStoneyOfBow
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by SirStoneyOfBow »

The writing was on the wall when Andy Carroll lost his head and decided to hit some pro-wrestling style flying headbutt just a minute after he was carded (unfairly) for his first aerial challenge.
We should have killed them off. Antonio had at least two wasted chances and a couple of instances where he should have looked for the free man instead of long range efforts.
We ran out of steam with 15 minutes remaining and I knew we’d concede in that time. We were just goofing it downfield and gave them possession. Very frustrating to watch.
Yep the geordie man-bun ****ed up, but their striker (Wood) was also guilty of the same thing and got NOTHING. That’s how I see AC as being vilified by the refs in the league.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

OnePaulHilton wrote:Did I see Sakho smile at something Slav said when he come on?
What is all that about?
Slav probably said "I need you to press, hold the ball up and pick out some passes just like Chicharito was" Sakho was smiling because he assumed it was a joke.
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

Probably find the Sakho that was on the training pitch was the one Slav expected to see... instead he got the Sakho thinking he was playing like a super star without needing to put the effort in...
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Musings in general
1. The gaffer will have to pick our favoured front two - Sakho and Hernandes - next time out if we're two up top. About time.

2. Amazed the ref didn't award the penalty following Hart's 'foul,' definitely dodged a bullet there

3. Would have been nice to see Masuaku come on half hour earlier.

4. Would have been even nicer to see Masuaku start the game and have Arnutovic on the bench sat next to Carroll. Cresswell needs the support, and we need someone who has quick feet and an eye for both the pass and the cross. Masuaku fits the bill left midfield.

5. Thought Antonio was either suffering the worst tunnel vision or just being plain greedy when he shot from the corner of the 18-yard box instead of the simple square ball to the wide-open Lanzini. You be the judge. No doubt the gaffer will be replaying that one to him ten times over after training on Monday.

6.Not the result we wanted but could have been far worse - thanks Andy - Burnley definitely worth at least a point. They could have had all three if their through-balls were either accurate or better-timed.

7. Once again our mob were loud and clear on the space telly feed - sore throats all around no doubt. Good job.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Whether Carroll's first yellow was or wasn't he was ****ing stupid to jump in like that 90 seconds later. As Slav said we can have no complaints
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

erifles wrote:What about that passing move on the 60th minute? Champagne football. It's amazing what this team could do instead of lumping it to the battle upfront.
That was a moment of beauty and begs the question why can't we do that more often. From what I remember 4 players involved. Shame the shot was mishit
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

kayahammer wrote: That was a moment of beauty and begs the question why can't we do that more often. From what I remember 4 players involved. Shame the shot was mishit
It was Chicharito bringing it up, pass to Obiang, back to Chicharito, to Lanzini, back to Chicharito, who set up Antonio who scuffed it.

And usually we can't do that because we have some lumbering hulk at CF, clogging things up, Chicharito is off on the wing being wasted, and Obiang is either pinned back protecting Noble's lack of pace, or on the bench watching Kouyate show off the touch of a baby elephant.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

The constant in the move was Hernandez, just as Di Michele was for Coles goal at Wigan. It's another good example as to why he must start when fit and remain on for as long as possible. Genuine world class. f*** knows what Bilic is thinking to keep subbing him off. He may think twice now that Carroll has shown himself up good and proper whilst letting down his manager in the process.

I really do like Carroll and ain't 1 to suddenly turn on him wishing him straight out the door like some others are but Hernandez is the first Striker on the team sheet and 1 of the last to be subbed unless absolutely necessary before others, unless for an obvious reason. I certainly won't buy into all the chat about how we wouldn't have won the game unless Sakho came on for him against Swansea neither.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote:The writing was on the wall when Andy Carroll lost his head and decided to hit some pro-wrestling style flying headbutt just a minute after he was carded (unfairly) for his first aerial challenge.
We should have killed them off. Antonio had at least two wasted chances and a couple of instances where he should have looked for the free man instead of long range efforts.
We ran out of steam with 15 minutes remaining and I knew we’d concede in that time. We were just goofing it downfield and gave them possession. Very frustrating to watch.
Yep the geordie man-bun ****ed up, but their striker (Wood) was also guilty of the same thing and got NOTHING. That’s how I see AC as being vilified by the refs in the league.
Absolutely bang on
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1955 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Friend of mine enjoys a flutter, and told me that the bookie grapevine yesterday was talking about big money being placed on a West Ham player being sent of within 30 minutes.

Seems very far fetched to me, especially as the first yellow definitely appeared accidental. Thought it was worth a mention though :twisted:
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

there is no place in football for a lump like carroll, what successful team has a big lump up front like him. good player to have on the bench for a 20 min sub appearance but nevers starts for me.

hernandez is our best striker followed by sakho when he can be nbothered and fit.

masuaka in for arnie

obiang and kouyate in the middle with lanzini in front

hart
zab reid fonte cresswell
antonio obiang lanzini kouayte masuaka
hernandez

subs adrian byram noble ayew arnautovic sakho carroll
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Colours never run wrote:I really do like Carroll and ain't 1 to suddenly turn on him
Neither am I. However, sh*t like this tests my patience. This bloke has been absent from the first team picture for a large chunk of his West Ham career so to instigate a further absence out of sheer stupidity is unacceptable.

On his day he can be devastating. However, we have two other strikers who are now going to get the opportunity to see what they can do in his absence. Could be a turning point this season and the worst time for Carroll to have a rush of blood.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

carroll is not bothered he can go on another holiday with the wife.

a good away point at a difficult place. before hand would have been happy but it feels like 2 points lost. shows what this team can do if we get the chance.

onto the next game now. COYI
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

The thing with Carroll is we all say "on his day he's unstoppable" but how often do we get to see those days? Once... twice a season max?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

hammerman11 wrote:there is no place in football for a lump like carroll, what successful team has a big lump up front like him. good player to have on the bench for a 20 min sub appearance but nevers starts for me.

hernandez is our best striker followed by sakho when he can be nbothered and fit.

masuaka in for arnie

obiang and kouyate in the middle with lanzini in front

hart
zab reid fonte cresswell
antonio obiang lanzini kouayte masuaka
hernandez

subs adrian byram noble ayew arnautovic sakho carroll
So there's no place for him yet you have him on the bench (which he can't be because he's suspended) your argument undone in a flash