Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by steps »

ironilunga wrote:On his day he can be devastating.
These days are too few and far between though.

It makes me laugh how he things he can get back into the England set-up in this form. You can't compare him with a striker like Kane who's red hot, scoring goals for fun. I think Carroll has had one good season in his whole career, that was at Newcastle.

For me, on the pitch he totally unbalances the team, and shouldn't of started the game yesterday.

I'm starting to wonder if Bilic is being put under pressure to play him. Because Carroll and Hernandez hasn't worked for a few games now yet Slav persists with it.
TootingRob

Post by TootingRob »

Love Carroll as a player but yesterday was just ridiculous. Don't get it he's going to miss one of the easiest games of the season at home and it gives Sakho and Hernandes the perfect opportunity to show what they can do. Don't think we're going to see big Andy start now until the new year unless there are injuries. We lost 2 points because of him but he's going to lose out big time. The other thing that gets me is how do people see the so called penalty, no way was it a penalty. Hart slides out and pulls his arms in but hits the ball with his elbow before their player goes down, surely if you play the ball first it's NOT a foul
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

mumbles87 wrote:
Eggy id say Hart was outstanding today

some important stops

commands his area
You might want to watch again mate. Came for balls he couldn't get anywhere near. Gave away a clear pen and just looked shakey when the ball went into the box.

He made regulation stops, nothing special. Certainly doesn't look an upgrade on Adrian...... yet.
swerley

Post by swerley »

I didn't research the truth to this, but the commentator said after Carroll's sending off that WHU have had 15 red cards since Slaven took over...which is three more than any other team in the same time period. I also don't know if that includes the ones that were later rescinded (we def had a few of those that first season).
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

As usual, working and 5 live on. Not seen any of it yet.
When the commentator made the point that Burnley have never won from going behind I assumed we would break that hoodoo for them, in fact, in my mind, the commentator was trying to call that devil out.(Need more pills doctor!)
All in all considering our start, a good point earned with the odds stacked up by the removal of Carroll,
:crest:
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 766 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

I thought Obiang was excellent when he came on.

Reid et al running around trying to get players booked throughout the game was an unedifying sight though.

A draw was the fair result.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

swerley wrote:I didn't research the truth to this, but the commentator said after Carroll's sending off that WHU have had 15 red cards since Slaven took over...which is three more than any other team in the same time period. I also don't know if that includes the ones that were later rescinded (we def had a few of those that first season).
I don't think it's a net figure with the rescinded taken out,
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Carroll was elbowed just before his first yellow and it wasn't even given as a foul. Not to condone him - the second was pretty much a straight red - but the ref was a complete homer throughout. One of their players did exactly the same to Kouyate at the end and no yellow..... or even a foul? It was the same the whole game. Antonio fouled, trips the bloke up as he's on the floor - foul to them.

Carroll should not be in the starting 11. When we go long with Carroll he flicks it on to no-one. Without him the defender heads it back and we can win the ball in midfield, so we actually gain possession much more. That's where all the decent play in the second half came from. Should have kept Hernandez on but can really do with all the histrionics and talking behind his hand.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

mattyD wrote:Carroll was elbowed just before his first yellow and it wasn't even given as a foul. Not to condone him - the second was pretty much a straight red
I've just watched the MOTD highlights, and I reckon the first of Carroll's two yellows was the worse foul, and that one was probably worthy of a straight red - he may have been looking at the ball but he knew he wasn't getting a free header so swinging his elbow like that was asking for trouble. If he had been elbowed moments before then it might explain why he did it, but that's not much better than Arnautovic's retaliation in the first game.
When I first saw the second yellow incident and the replay backed it up, I thought he was a bit unlucky as the initial contact was with the defender's shoulder. But when you look at it in the context that he has only just been booked for using his elbow, it's kind of mindboggling that his very next involvement would be to sprint 25 yards and launch himself into an aerial challenge elbow-first! Evenmoreso considering we were 1-0 and it was little over a quarter of the way into the game.

Speaking of elbows, I reckon the ref got the Hart/Wood penalty decision correct. Hart's elbow clears the ball and Wood was waiting for the contact and poised to go over. Normally I disagree with people that dismiss appeals for fouls on the grounds of "he got the ball first" but in this case Wood didn't look as though he was interested in the ball, more concerned with getting the contact and going down.
Well done to the ref for that.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

We played some good football (in patches) against Burnley , so fingers crossed we can still keep the defence tight while starting to get more confidence in our passing , running and general creativity. I think maybe the leaky defence we've had last season and the start of this has created general anxiety throughout the team and 'stunted' our freedom to attack. Onwards and upwards (I hope!).
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

[quote="Kialos"]There is no debate over the cards Carroll got.

Out on the pitch the referee is in charge. Now he has booked Carroll and told him he will not allow that kind of challenge. The referee has made it clear to Carroll and he's booked him. It does not matter whether Carroll or anyone else thinks it is not a yellow, the person whose opinion counts does.

So, what does the our so called professional footballer who earns more in one week than what many will take 3 years to earn do?

Yep, you got it. He not only does the exact same thing less than 2 minutes later he makes sure everyone in the ground can see it by running faster than he has all season and launching himself into the challenge.

Bilic has shown remarkable loyalty to Carroll and he repaid him, his team mates and the travelling support with reckless and moronic behaviour.

More red cards than assists never mind goals this season.

Is the correct answer.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

I've asked this before, what is it that Arnautovic does? Apart from 'bossing' games for Austria of course.
:?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hammer.CA wrote:I've asked this before, what is it that Arnautovic does? Apart from 'bossing' games for Austria of course.
Has he even played two full league games for us yet? He’ll easily show what he’s capable of in time.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

In the end happy with a point.

Andys first isn’t even a foul the second is a booking and silly as anything like that soon after the first booking, the Burnley player is always going to go down like he’s been shot, put pressure on the ref with the crowd reacting and off you go. He is experienced enough now to know to play it safe for a while after the first booking, silly boy.

I thought Cresswell was to blame for their goal, last five minutes, you can’t be giving him all the time he did to whip that cross in. Saying that, they should have had a penalty with the Hart challenge.

So overall happy with a point but in general just really bored with football at the moment. The stuff we are playing is bland, we will grind out enough points to finish midtable and it will just be another “meh” kind of season.

:asleep:
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

Sadly lost in the result and the Carroll madness was how good Fonte and Zabaleta were. A lot of people had crucified them earlier in the saeason, but they should be given credit for how good they were yesterday. They have looked top class internationals in the last 5 or 6 matches rather than old over the hill money grabbers some on here were calling them.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: You might want to watch again mate. Came for balls he couldn't get anywhere near. Gave away a clear pen and just looked shakey when the ball went into the box.

He made regulation stops, nothing special. Certainly doesn't look an upgrade on Adrian...... yet.

I made the exact same evaluation of him yesterday and it's been like that for most games. I think he's done alright overall, nothing horrific but nothing to write home about either.

One aspect that's surprised me a bit since he arrived, is his lack of coming for crosses and tends to prefer hugging his goal line rather than being decisive and coming for balls he should be and when he does make a rare moment of coming out for the ball he doesn't look all that convincing.

Having said that, I do still believe he's an excellent shot stopper, great at taking control and commanding his defence making them organised and excellent with his feet (I've long thought he's actually very good with the ball at his feet and was never an issue of his), he can pick a pass from most distances and make most of them.

I don't think there's much between either goalkeepers which isn't a bad thing, just means we currently have 2 very good Keepers on our books now whuch can only be good for decent competition.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I see no upgrade in Hart over Adrian , pointless "marquee" signing by Sullivan me thinks
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

LeonRivers wrote:Tonight is the first time I’ve watched motd in ages. The analysis still hasn’t improved, I see. They showed a few replays from various angles of the Joe Hart challenge and declared that he “got away with one” and it was a “definite penalty”, completely ignoring the fact that he played the ball, and played it before he took the player. Muppets.
Was a penalty and we got away with one (which we deserved, since we got nothing else in the game, inc the sending off , which I maintain was harsh beyond belief. )
wolf359
Has liked: 1561 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Hammer.CA wrote:I've asked this before, what is it that Arnautovic does? Apart from 'bossing' games for Austria of course.
Been poor for us so far, we have to ask, why so many Billic signings are poor at first (some never graduate from poor)
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

i think it's been argued here to death that clearly there are fair few players here that aren't Bilics picks, maybe that answers the question about why they aren't very good??

I have no idea whether Arnie is or isn't although he does seem like a strange signing to me