Burnley 1-1 West Ham Utd (14/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Re: Burnley v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by irving boleyn »

Especially as it seems Henry is at least the equal of him.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: You might want to watch again mate. Came for balls he couldn't get anywhere near. Gave away a clear pen and just looked shakey when the ball went into the box.

He made regulation stops, nothing special. Certainly doesn't look an upgrade on Adrian...... yet.
:lol: Don’t let the facts get in the way of your agenda! Laughable post.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

swerley wrote:I didn't research the truth to this, but the commentator said after Carroll's sending off that WHU have had 15 red cards since Slaven took over...which is three more than any other team in the same time period. I also don't know if that includes the ones that were later rescinded (we def had a few of those that first season).
Yeah, roughly half of them were rescinded. If I recall correctly, there were seven overturned ‘that’ season.
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
Speaking of elbows, I reckon the ref got the Hart/Wood penalty decision correct. Hart's elbow clears the ball and Wood was waiting for the contact and poised to go over. Normally I disagree with people that dismiss appeals for fouls on the grounds of "he got the ball first" but in this case Wood didn't look as though he was interested in the ball, more concerned with getting the contact and going down.
Well done to the ref for that.
Superb. :thup:
LeonRivers

Post by LeonRivers »

wolf359 wrote: Was a penalty and we got away with one (which we deserved, since we got nothing else in the game, inc the sending off , which I maintain was harsh beyond belief. )
You are entitled to your opinion, no matter how incorrect it is. :thup:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Thought Hart did well punching and being brave. The one where Fonte got there first, Hart had clearly judged the ball very well and was gonna beat their attacker. Some good punches throughout, and with both hands.

Unsure whether I think he was slow for the one that hit the post by Gudmonsson.

Still not really swayed whether he is better than Adrian or the other way, but he doesn't look bad.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

controls his box better than adrian, but isn't as good a shot stopper.
FAH_1973

Post by FAH_1973 »

We probably got away with the penalty decision but it was the only decision we got all day. Ref was a total homer and the free kicks they got and we did not were ridiculous.

Another note looked like Chicarito was not happy at being subbed. Looked like he shrugged Billic off when he tried to shake his hand and stormed into the dug out.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Two games now this season where a player needlessly gets sent off & we lose points because of it. Possibly 5.
First rule should be finish the bloody game with 11 players.
To me it was as if AC so disagreed with the first yellow, he wanted to prove the ref wrong by doing exactly the same thing again. Whether they were both warranted has been endlessly debated but the fact is he made it easy for the ref.
He doesn't seem to be the brightest of players sometimes.
Is it really in his contract that he has to play? If I was manager, I'd f... that right off. What's he gonna do, sue?
Boom Kid
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

Just seen the MOTD highlights and cant help thinking those Burnley players were well coached in how to play Andy Carroll - aerial challenge go down holding your head with both hands (yes I know he did catch both of them with his elbow) but they had done their homework.

Reckon the refs will be watching him from now on.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Boom Kid wrote:Just seen the MOTD highlights and cant help thinking those Burnley players were well coached in how to play Andy Carroll - aerial challenge go down holding your head with both hands (yes I know he did catch both of them with his elbow) but they had done their homework.

Thought crossed my mind too.....
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Boom Kid wrote:Just seen the MOTD highlights and cant help thinking those Burnley players were well coached in how to play Andy Carroll - aerial challenge go down holding your head with both hands (yes I know he did catch both of them with his elbow) but they had done their homework.

Laughable to blame the victim like that. Mee especially gets a blow to the head from an elbow from a guy who has run and leapt in to him and who is what 6 5 and about 14 stone. Of course he went down. A heavyweight boxer would struggle with that. If that was one of ours on the receiving end we would have been screaming for a straight red.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I only saw it live and not what the highlights have shown but for the 2nd yellow Carroll literally charged at the player. As I said in an earlier post, it was the fastest I had seen him move all season. He was out of control.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It still really bothers me to think about whenever I replay it in my head. The poor ****er was lucky not to get seriously hurt with a 'challenge' like that. The point of his elbow smashes into the back of his ear and clearly wipes him out as it would do anyone. It was a cowardly vicious incident he should be ashamed of making and completely unprovoked. It gets worse the more times you see it and it was bad in real time too.

I'm baffled as to why he felt the need to do it too as we were comfortably in control of the game and he wasn't being targeted and roughed up. It's like he was wired up to play that overly aggressive from the start. With the amount of experience he has in the game he should realise it just wasnt on and all this faux pleaing after like he did f*** all was pathetic to see.

I'm glad Bilic has dug him out too not even trying to protect him and allowing him to take the hear for letting everyone down. We're all better than that.
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

upton o'good wrote:Mee especially gets a blow to the head from an elbow from a guy who has run and leapt in to him and who is what 6 5 and about 14 stone.
Only 14st? Jesus, I need to lose weight.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Was Carroll the player who failed to prevent the cross that led to their equaliser coming in ?

Was Carroll the player who failed to pick up Wood , allowing him to run in between our CB's and get a free header 7 yards out ?

Two other players, at least, didn't do their jobs .
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

2 other players had been working their socks off for 60 mins when down to 10 men
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

old fart wrote:2 other players had been working their socks off for 60 mins when down to 10 men
So we didn't use any subs then ?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Was Carroll the player who failed to prevent the cross that led to their equaliser coming in ?

Cresswell is another player who shouldn't be getting in the team either
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

What were his duties?

I suggest, stop the player getting past him to shoot or pass from close range....avoid conceding a corner .Keep oppt.as wide as possible so any cross will be from 30 yards giving yr defence time to cover.Give the player as little space as possible to avoid a measured cross.

Think he did all that.

Couldn't stop the player getting a split second and the perfect ball should be credited to the winger.