Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Re: Boxing thread

Post by twixy »

Eggington v Mimoune on the undercard this weekend. Think it could be a bit of a nightmare for sam and 8/1 is pretty decent odds for a couple of quid.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Khan v Saunders is a fight I'd be very interested in seeing. Agree, it's a bit of a strange one given their respective weights and stage of career but it's a good match up in terms of styles.

We'll see the best of Saunders when he fights someone who is coming forward. Love watching Khan fight, never in a boring fight and would be good to see him active again.

I'm in.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

twixy wrote:Eggington v Mimoune on the undercard this weekend. Think it could be a bit of a nightmare for sam and 8/1 is pretty decent odds for a couple of quid.
:thup:

Had a few quid on myself based on this. Thanks Twixy.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Not seen much of the boxing from the weekend. A 30 second highlight video of the Eubank Jr. Impressive stuff, although I fully expect to see his power being overhyped now. A really good fighter to watch, but has struggled to get rid of opponents. Especially at SMW, not sure how he is going to fare when really tested.

Off to Groves v Cox this weekend. Really looking forward to it. A little bit underwhelmed by the undercard however.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Watched Crolla/Burns as there was no way I was paying for that Eubank fight. It was very uneventful, both fighters worked hard and Burns came on strong towards the end but Crolla did enough at the start to nick it by a couple of rounds in my opinion.

Watched a short clip of the Eubank knockout, looked pretty impressive but Yildirim looked like he was all over the place.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

twixy wrote:Eggington v Mimoune on the undercard this weekend. Think it could be a bit of a nightmare for sam and 8/1 is pretty decent odds for a couple of quid.
I like Egginton so I hope he comes through this one, his story is inspiring and I like the way he fights.
twixy
Has liked: 1 like

Post by twixy »

EvilC wrote:

Had a few quid on myself based on this. Thanks Twixy.
Pleasure. Glad someone else got on :scarfer:
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2017/10/sau ... dered-wbo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting fight, I'm glad BJS has been given a decent opponent now, Monroe Jr was an embarrassment.

Lemieux on points, he'll bang the hardest and most frequent despite BJS's best efforts to spoil.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Tyson Fury says he will be ready to return to the ring in April and expects to have "three big fights" in 2018.

He’s will have been out for two and a half years (and there’s still the matters of allegations of doping and a licence to sort out). It’s going to be a big ask for him to get back to where he was.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Any streams for tonight?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

On the train home from Wembley Arena

Stunning finish from Groves. Him vs Eubank Jr will be tasty, fancy him to be too much for Eubank.

Have to say, there was more action in the crowd than the ring. The scale of the fight which broke out was huge, I would say more than half the crowd missed the finish to the fight in the ring. Security had no hopes of getting it under control.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Seems to be a common thing now crowd trouble, bit sad really. If Groves vs Eubank is in an arena I'll look at going, if it's a stadium then no chance
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - The crowd trouble I mentioned, a video

Not sure where they hold the Groves Eubank fight, has to be an arena surely. Apparently the O2 arena isn't available, so I suspect it may be happening outside of London
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Eubank is a marginal favourite over Groves. Thoughts?
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

EvilC wrote:Eubank is a marginal favourite over Groves. Thoughts?
Eubank Jr has not fought anyone as good as Groves at SMW, and nobody that will hit him as hard as Groves will at SMW either

There is a possibility that Eubank can press and force Groves into fighting a quicker pace and look to wear him down, I just fancy Groves to have enough pop in his punches to keep Eubank from applying the type of pressure he wants to. I fancy Groves on points, with a few shaky moments later in the fight.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Ah, Pulev has sustained an injury in training. Looks like Joshua’s team will have to find a replacement.

Edit: the replacement is Carlos Takam.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Takam is useless even Parker outboxed him, will be a pointless fight, card is dreadful, Dillian Whyte is a poor boxer and his fight breazedale so that will mostly likely be a twelve round borefest
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Matchroom fanboys will buy it as they always do

Pretty sure most of them would pay £20 to watch Joshua do a few rounds on a heavy bag if Sky and Eddie Hearn advertised it enough
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Takam being Pulev's replacement only further highlights the mess that the heavyweight division is still in. Povetkin is a roidhead, so is Ortiz, Wilder is a windmilling f**king idiot and Haye lost to a flabby Scouse cruiserweight. Tyson Fury is probably the best technical heavyweight out there now and he's not anywhere near ready, physically or mentally, to get in a ring. Joseph Parker can't KO any top tier fighters, Ruiz jnr is just another lump, Hughie Fury is alright but took the Parker fight too soon and can't KO anyone remotely decent. Lucas Browne intrigues me, but that's it. Then there's the likes of Whyte, Chisora, Stiverne, Miller, Washington, Scot, Brezeale, Molina, Hammer...........mainly a cluster of out of shape flabby lumps of **** that neither entertain or produce performances that are convincing enough to make you think they'e worthy of a title shot.

Shannon Briggs, f**k it, let him get in with AJ, who the hell else is worth watching? :lol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Jumby wrote:Takam being Pulev's replacement only further highlights the mess that the heavyweight division is still in. Povetkin is a roidhead, so is Ortiz, Wilder is a windmilling f**king idiot and Haye lost to a flabby Scouse cruiserweight. Tyson Fury is probably the best technical heavyweight out there now and he's not anywhere near ready, physically or mentally, to get in a ring. Joseph Parker can't KO any top tier fighters, Ruiz jnr is just another lump, Hughie Fury is alright but took the Parker fight too soon and can't KO anyone remotely decent. Lucas Browne intrigues me, but that's it. Then there's the likes of Whyte, Chisora, Stiverne, Miller, Washington, Scot, Brezeale, Molina, Hammer...........mainly a cluster of out of shape flabby lumps of **** that neither entertain or produce performances that are convincing enough to make you think they'e worthy of a title shot.

Shannon Briggs, f**k it, let him get in with AJ, who the hell else is worth watching? :lol:
Best assessment of the heavyweight scene I've seen to day. Well done Jumby!