Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by davids cross »

He didn't try a leg in the first half...

And he really didn't try to hide it either.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It was a Team performance from him. No way one of his best individually but he did his bit for the team. Where he failed was inside the box (apart from that superb header in the build up to Ayews 2nd) with a couple of tame efforts but in the build up he was having an effect.

I really liked what I saw with him and Ayew linking up, some things didn't come off others did and for the first time they played together there were positive signs and somethjng to build on.

Bilic woukdnt have kept him on the entire game if he wasn't happy with what he saw, especially with Hernandez still on the bench. Wouldn't hesitate to start him again on Saturday.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

He was useless virtually all game terrible lack of effort in the first half.He stands like a statue waiting for the ball to feet offers no movement for his team mates what so ever and sulks when he don’t get the perfect pass or cross.

There were plenty of occasions where Ayew was running his nuts off trying to pressure and squeeze their defence force them into errors while Carroll half heartily jogged at them. Ayew put him to shame tonight.

He also offers no goal threat ( unless he gets a pin point perfect cross unchallenged ) which is bloody hard to get in football. I saw a few occasions where Cresswell whipped in some crosses and he was no where to be seen because he is to slow or lazy to keep up with play.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Colours never run wrote:It was a Team performance from him. No way one of his best individually but he did his bit for the team. Where he failed was inside the box (apart from that superb header in the build up to Ayews 2nd) with a couple of tame efforts but in the build up he was having an effect.

I really liked what I saw with him and Ayew linking up, some things didn't come off others did and for the first time they played together there were positive signs and somethjng to build on.

Bilic woukdnt have kept him on the entire game if he wasn't happy with what he saw, especially with Hernandez still on the bench. Wouldn't hesitate to start him again on Saturday.
He made more of an effort in the second half and he played in Lanzini for the goal. But his first half performance was a 0 out of 10 job. If Sakho or Hernandez put in so little effort they would have been lynched on here.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Colours never run wrote:A lot of nonsense said about him again. He made a difference to the side last night. He mostly held the ball up and kept possession ticking along nicely and did it with the ball at his feet after winning the initial challenge. He knitted the midfield with the attack well and won his customary headers when he needed too.
I’m the first to defend the bloke when he puts in an unheralded shift for the team and think he’s often unfairly lambasted by some, but you must have not watched that first half.

If he’d have been carted off on 45 I don’t think anyone would have been shocked, he looked seriously unfit.

He was better in the second half, but it was Ayew who seriously upped his movement and performance
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

0/10 for his first half efforts (!) is generous. Genuinely one of the worst performances I've seen from a West Ham forward in ten years. One of, I said. I don't mind Carroll either, and normally lacking application is not something you could level at him. First half though. Man alive, what a useless pile of *****.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

That's fine.

But ask yourselves this, why the hell did he keep him on for the entire 90 minutes leaving Hernandez of all people on the bench? Bilic must have seen something he liked like I did. He was always a good focal point and he did bring others in to play in both halves.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Frustrates me that he so often is found out wide or too deep to be on the end of a good cross or better still causing agro for defenders
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Colours never run wrote:That's fine.

But ask yourselves this, why the hell did he keep him on for the entire 90 minutes leaving Hernandez of all people on the bench? Bilic must have seen something he liked like I did. He was always a good focal point and he did bring others in to play in both halves.
Possibly told him to sort his **** out or he'll get hooked on 60.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

He seems to be getting worse unfortunately. At least he put some effort in 2nd half. First half was truly woeful.
I hope he doesn't play Saturday but I expect he will
StokeIrons
Has liked: 71 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by StokeIrons »

Use him as an impact sub.
Don't set the team up around him.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Like most of the team. dreadful first half

Like most of the team, a man on a bit of a mission second half
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

So many bell ends on here waiting to criticise. I didn’t think his first half was appalling and by no means a 0 out of 10, I would actually put blame on Ayew for dropping deeper and not reading the flick ons. If all you wanna do after a result like this is come on and moan you should take a look at yourself and wonder if supporting West Ham is for you because that was one to savour.
Colours never run

I'd be interested to know what the stats say regarding if we win more points/games with him in the side than when we don't. I'd hazard a guess we do better with him in it than not. Similar to Noble in that regard if that is the case but I don't know for sure, more a gut feeling.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3049 likes

Post by MB »

snooperpooper wrote:Frustrates me that he so often is found out wide or too deep to be on the end of a good cross or better still causing agro for defenders
Has a touch of the Rooney's about him. Drops deep or wide to get in the game, but then cannot get into the box to capitalise on the move he starts.

A lot of his best play last night was around the halfway line which is fine if we have space and runners off him but we have often lacked that.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

As posted before it is a slight improvement in points in home games against the teams outside the top 6, No difference for away games and a slightly worse points total in games against the top 6

Given some of the rubbish we have had up front since he has been here you would expect us to do bettwr when he is in, but he numbers don't really back it up
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

As already commented his first half performance was absolutely shameful. Amongst the worst I have seen in a West Ham shirt, and I include the strike pairing of Mike Newell and Steve Jones in that.

Yes, he played a part in Ayew's 2nd goal but in truth I don't think his 2nd half performance was much, if any better than the first.

The more I watch him the more convinced I am that he simply doesn't think like a centre forward. On the rare occasions he manages to keep up with play and find himself in the box his continued tactic of pulling away to the back post and expecting the wide player to be able cross the ball past 2/3 CB is in effective at best. He needs to mix up the way he attacks the ball in the area to keep the opposition CBs honest and give them something to think about. Pulling away to the back post means the wide players have to float balls up to him which are much easier for CB and GK to defend against than lower, flatter delivers between 6 yard and penalty spot. Cresswell played a few of these last night but it was only Ayew showing a strikers instinct to get across the front and attacking the near post.

I often see his hold up play lauded on here too, which again I just don't see enough of. On he rare occasion he did win the header last night, flick ons went to body as usual and the ball came straight back at us. This is not necessarily a criticism of him, quite simply the punt it forward and hope for a flick in his a hideously ineffective style of play from a) his chances of winning the first ball, b) the skill and execution needed to divert ball in to the path of one of our players, c) then player being able to bring ball under control before intercepted by defenders. It's a game of percentages, low ones at that, especially when we rarely have players getting beyond him and even if they do the pace (Antonio) aside to stretch a team and get in behind them.

I also think a big part of why we're so ponderous and slow moving the ball through midfield and in to attack. Is fact he never makes any attempt to run in behind the defence. It means every team can play a higher defensive line against us, squeezing the space and cutting of the passing angles for what is already quite a static team.

For a small guy I think Ayew's hold up play with his back to goal is pretty good and uses his small but bulky frame to good effect to hold defenders off. This coupled with his superior eye for goal and fact that he passes and moves means I'm tempted to play him as a false 10 vs Palace as per his Swansea days.

I also think he leads the press better than any other forward we have, which is important to ensuring we don't defend to deep and ensuring we play at a higher tempo and with more energy all over the pitch
Colours never run

Well Bilic must be on drugs then for wanting to keep him out there for the whole duration going by his 'shameful' performance. We functioned well as a Team with him in it, that's what I care about most.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Colours never run wrote:Well Bilic must be on drugs then for wanting to keep him out there for the whole duration going by his 'shameful' performance. We functioned well as a Team with him in it, that's what I care about most.
+1
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Carroll was out on his feet last 15/20 minutes. Pretty much played as an auxiliary DMC.

While they didn't particularly trouble us in that spell we were unbelievably deep with absolutely no out ball.

I was crying out for Bilic to bring somebody on for him who could at least chase the ball down and try to alleviate a bit of pressure.

The only reason I thought Bilic left him for those last 15/20 mins was for his heading abilities from defensive free-kicks.

CNR - I'm not just being critical for criticisms sake. I watched him closely all game and I just don't see it.

Does anyone have the running stats from last night? I'd love to know how many sprints he did last night compared to our other forward players Ayew and Lanzini. I'm utterly convinced his lack of movement when he plays is a big reason we look so utterly devoid of ideas and ball just comes back at us.