Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Colours never run »

If only he weren't on the pitch for that crucial 2nd goal..
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The main problem is that he doesn't move. He will make a nice lay off in the centre of the field and then just stand there or slowly job back upfield. He needs to play it and go. He ends up miles behind the play.
Also, as someone else pointed out he doesn't make any runs in the box, just stands towards the back post waiting for a cross to be perfectly directed on his head over two CBs . Look at other strikers, even 'bigger' lads like Troy Deeney. They are never ever standing still. Alwqys on the move trying to make space.

At least he made an effort second half because first half it looked like he couldn't give a ****
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

He didn't have his best game but when the opposition play 3 centre halves and we pair someone with Carroll, it can pay off as 2 of the centre halves followed Carroll all game leaving Ayew the space to operate centrally and undoubtedly give his best performance in a West Ham shirt.

Key involvement in our second goal. Was it the corner he won for the winner as well - showed real intelligence if it was that one.

The perfect fall guy last night. Didn't show anywhere near his best, took plenty of criticism for it but I'm not sure we would have won that second half without him.
ballantine
Has liked: 1254 likes
Total likes: 229 likes

Post by ballantine »

We looked so much better after he sobered up at half time.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Part of his problem is he tries to get through too much work instead of mainly staying close to their centre halves. He's a 6ft 5 unit who's suffered more injuries than a world war vet and should play a touch more within himself. He should mainly be staying up top or back for set pieces but never out wide or dropping as deep in midfield as he does from time to time. He needs to conserve his energy more than most although I applaud his efforts working hard as a team player. He does a lot of donkey work that goes unnoticed/appreciated I feel.
Colours never run

wizzo_66 wrote:He didn't have his best game but when the opposition play 3 centre halves and we pair someone with Carroll, it can pay off as 2 of the centre halves followed Carroll all game leaving Ayew the space to operate centrally and undoubtedly give his best performance in a West Ham shirt.

Key involvement in our second goal. Was it the corner he won for the winner as well - showed real intelligence if it was that one.

The perfect fall guy last night. Didn't show anywhere near his best, took plenty of criticism for it but I'm not sure we would have won that second half without him.
I wasn't the only one imagining it then.
Stulaw
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Stulaw »

Colours never run wrote:Part of his problem is he tries to get through too much work instead of mainly staying close to their centre halves. He's a 6ft 5 unit who's suffered more injuries than a world war vet and should play a touch more within himself. He should mainly be staying up top or back for set pieces but never out wide or dropping as deep in midfield as he does from time to time. He needs to conserve his energy more than most although I applaud his efforts working hard as a team player. He does a lot of donkey work that goes unnoticed/appreciated I feel.
He's 6'3, don't know where you got 6'5 from.
madhammer
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by madhammer »

Colours never run wrote:If only he weren't on the pitch for that crucial 2nd goal..
I get that goals are important and he played his part in the 2nd goal.

But that was literally his only positive contribution all game.

If you watch our other games this season it's been similar too. If we aspire to be better than what we have been these last 18 months then it's important we're free to question the players, their limitations and how this fits in to the wider tactical plan.

You might argue that me calling his performance shameful was too strong, and it may well have been. But I stand by the tactical points raised.
Colours never run

Stulaw wrote:
He's 6'3, don't know where you got 6'5 from.
Wiki says 6 4, either way we are splitting hairs. He's still a big lump whatever he is.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Upminster Hammer wrote:So many bell ends on here waiting to criticise. I didn’t think his first half was appalling and by no means a 0 out of 10, I would actually put blame on Ayew for dropping deeper and not reading the flick ons. If all you wanna do after a result like this is come on and moan you should take a look at yourself and wonder if supporting West Ham is for you because that was one to savour.
You have a pop for criticising and then blame Ayew for Carroll strolling around for 45 minutes. Ayew had a go at Carroll for not closing down his CB and Carroll just shrugged.

He was much better second half.
hornsey
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by hornsey »

Anyone who still cusses Carrolls contribution in a game and says he has no football brain; look at our equaliser last night.
Upminster Hammer
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by Upminster Hammer »

smuts wrote:
You have a pop for criticising and then blame Ayew for Carroll strolling around for 45 minutes. Ayew had a go at Carroll for not closing down his CB and Carroll just shrugged.

He was much better second half.
I didn't go to the Ayew thread 'to have a pop' though. I was defending one of our key players. Instead of coming on here like a 6 year old girl to have a moan after one of our best comebacks in recent years.

As I said enjoy the moment, you don't always have to look to have a moan after every game its so tedious.

Look for the positives in things it makes like a lot more satisfying.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

I'd still rather have AC in our squad than against us because defenders are scared of him. They invariably have 2 , even 3 people trying to mark him out of the game and that gives us an ideal opportunity to make runs in front of him into space and dangerous areas. Ahew started to play in front of AC , and things happened whereas in the first half Ahew was playing behind him.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

6 year old girl...do me a favour. It's a forum ffs. I've always stuck for Carroll on here and I was one of the few defending him for the sending off the other week and got pelters for it
but there was something up first half with him. He really could not be arsed or looked ill.

Came out the second half a different player and his header to play in Lanzini was brilliant which I highlighted on the match thread.
Colours never run

Put simply, Ayew and to a degree at the corner Ogbonna wouldn't have enjoyed half the time and space they were given if he wasn't there. Not everything a footballer does is with a football in their possession.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 415 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Did you notice his lack of jumping last night? He seemed rooted to the spot most of the time. Perhaps afraid of elbowing somebody again and getting in trouble? Or he was instructed by Bilic to do so?

I thought that was one of his poorest games for us, but grateful for his involement in the equaliser. That whole little move was class.
Colours never run

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Did you notice his lack of jumping last night? He seemed rooted to the spot most of the time. Perhaps afraid of elbowing somebody again and getting in trouble? Or he was instructed by Bilic to do so?

That thought did cross my mind and did think he was trying to be on his best behaviour after his stupid reckless sending off. Maybe it's that, that people are picking up on thinking he couldn't be bothered? It's the feeling I had and why I wasn't overly concerned by a perceived lack of effort.

If Bilic truly wasn't happy he would have been hooked, no doubt in my mind with how hes went about subbing Hernandez. Especially as it's Carroll with his high profile injury record, he'd have good reason to sub him just for that but still didn't see the need or indeed ask Hernandez to warm up.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

i expect if we were losing he would have been subbed off, but once we got it back to 2-2 i imagine Bilic wanted him for his defending at set pieces as much as anything else

Keeping Hernandez on the bench makes it clear for me that he will start on Saturday
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:Did you notice his lack of jumping last night? He seemed rooted to the spot most of the time. Perhaps afraid of elbowing somebody again and getting in trouble? Or he was instructed by Bilic to do so?

I thought that was one of his poorest games for us, but grateful for his involement in the equaliser. That whole little move was class.
Mate I went with said the exact same thing, wasn't jumping for headers. Strange. Maybe he was told to reign it in because Spurs defenders would look to make a meal of it.
Colours never run

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:i expect if we were losing he would have been subbed off, but once we got it back to 2-2 i imagine Bilic wanted him for his defending at set pieces as much as anything else

Keeping Hernandez on the bench makes it clear for me that he will start on Saturday

Well it took an hour before we scored our first goal being 2-0 down and still no sign of a sub so I think we can take it he was happy to keep him on.