Crystal Palace 2-2 West Ham Utd (28/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Estuary »

Irrons wrote:We conceded a last minute equaliser because we are a mentally weak side. Despite Antonio's awful cross our team still let Palace run from their half to the edge of our box virtually unchallenged, on the 96 minutes mark, when we had enough players back to cover. We failed as a team, collectively, because no-one took responsibility.

This is a big part of the reason why Bilic needs to go
That gaping hole in our midfield had been there all second half, Fernadez and Lanzini may as well have stayed in the changing room at half time for all they did in the 52 mins that followed.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

First thing my father in law said to me yesterday was "How did Hart let that one in, appalling".

Probably unpopular given how well he played throughout the game - and he was excellent...but I tend to agree.

No point being excellent if he can't save routine stuff down low to his left.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

bubbles500 wrote:Completely amazing that the 4 players including Antonio,that not one of them gets back to our penalty area before the goal is scored.Antonio massively to blame but the other 3 as well.Total shambles,a non league team would have better game management.
The ball went to their keeper who through it out, Palace midfield had a 20 yard start, how the hell would anyone catch up with that?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Irrons wrote:We conceded a last minute equaliser because we are a mentally weak side. Despite Antonio's awful cross our team still let Palace run from their half to the edge of our box virtually unchallenged, on the 96 minutes mark, when we had enough players back to cover. We failed as a team, collectively, because no-one took responsibility.

This is a big part of the reason why Bilic needs to go
This is true, but has Bilic made them mentally weak?
Or are the players already mentally weak?
hoopsta
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by hoopsta »

mushy wrote:
The ball went to their keeper who through it out, Palace midfield had a 20 yard start, how the hell would anyone catch up with that?[/quote]

from looking at the replay i noticed the ref busting a gut to catch up with play, after 10 secs our players still not in shot..
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

wizzo_66 wrote:First thing my father in law said to me yesterday was "How did Hart let that one in, appalling".

Probably unpopular given how well he played throughout the game - and he was excellent...but I tend to agree.

No point being excellent if he can't save routine stuff down low to his left.

I did think the same, as I thought Btighyons first goal was also soft, because both efforts weren't right in the corner of the goal and not exactly hit hard. Some goals he let's in I do find myself scratching my head. Having said that, I won't give him grief as he generally had an excellent game and deserved MotM performance even if I wasn't happy with it.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

mushy wrote:This is true, but has Bilic made them mentally weak?
Or are the players already mentally weak?
Bilic's job is to help make the team mentality strong and to organise us to play as a cohesive unit. We play like a bunch of mentally weak individuals and it shows. It hasn't always been this way though and the core of the team has been similar for the last two seasons (Cresswell, Reid, Collinsm Ogbonna, Kouyate, Noble, Obiang, Lanzini, Antonio and Carroll). The only difference is that he seems to have lost the respect of the dressing room
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

Irrons wrote: The only difference is that he seems to have lost the respect of the dressing room
Yeah, just what I was thinking when the 3rd went in at Wembley
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Beavis Danzig wrote:aside from everything else, hernandez and ayew look like a potentially lethal pairing. if the rest of the team even perform half decently we've got a chance of a result.
Totally thought the opposite !

Both finishers who need lots of chances made to show their worth. To have two such players in front of a sterile midfield is wrong

Poachers without sufficient bullets.

We can only start with Carroll plus one of these.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Kendal Iron wrote:Yeah, just what I was thinking when the 3rd went in at Wembley
After yet another Jekyll and Hyde performance in the first half. There's no consistency whatsoever. If he hasn't lost the dressing room (questionable from my point of view) then he and his staff still aren't motivating and organising the team as they should. He isn't solely to blame for this but we can't change the players (until Jan at the earliest) and we won't be changing owners any time soon. He's the only thing we can practically change at the moment. If we keep performing like we are we will continue to leak goals and we will end up in a relegation dogfight, without a shadow of a doubt. I like Bilic as most do and will always remember the best season I've seen us have in recent memory (2015/16), but it really looks like his time is up here, and has been for a while. I'm dreading the Liverpool game
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

irving boleyn wrote:
Totally thought the opposite !

Both finishers who need lots of chances made to show their worth. To have two such players in front of a sterile midfield is wrong

Poachers without sufficient bullets.

How many shots did Ayew have against Spurs? How many shows did he and Hernandez have against Palace?
gaptooth
Location: For the team - in a happy place. Board - in a dark place, with my head in my hands
Has liked: 145 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by gaptooth »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Before this afternoon's games we were 8th for possession, shots on target and goals created in open play.....which implies that we are pretty decent in some ways.

We are the worst in the league for sending offs, penalties conceded and 'errors'.

It suggests that we need to slightly rebalance and actually spend a few bob in the defensive areas of the squad.

We've thrown away 5 points in the last few minutes of games v Palace, Southampton and Burnley. That's the difference between where we are and pushing for top 7.
I like this attitude.

My 10 year old daughter (rightly) called me out at half time against Spurs. She said that supporting the team meant cheering them on, not slagging them off. Turns out she had a point.

More of this positivity please. We need it.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

Wilko.....Very few, Thats my point,, Pick two poachers and there are less providers of chances.

I guess you are saying Carroll plus one didnt work at Spurs? Okay but I think more chances will be made.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

irving boleyn wrote:Poachers without sufficient bullets.

they've got nine goals between them this season. that's nine more than andy carroll.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

TheRealHammer wrote:Just because they are individual errors doesn't mean the manager is off the hook. If I make an error at work it could be because the manager hadn't explained something correctly.
A strange analogy. I'm not aware of any football manager anywhere, ever, having to tell a defender not to trip an attacker in the penalty box.
TheRealHammer wrote:Saying they are individual errors and not the managers fault is completely wrong.
You forgot to write 'FACT'...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Kendal Iron wrote:[

Yeah, just what I was thinking when the 3rd went in at Wembley

:thup:
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

[quote="Beavis D

they've got nine goals between them this season. that's nine more than andy carroll.[/quote

But not when they've started together
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

I think there is a direct connection with individual errors and poor management. Particularly when they happen with the frequency we are seeing.

There are teams in the league such as Watford and Burnley with much weaker squads who are able maintain concentration and commitment for the full ninety minutes. We on the other hand are now consistently finding ways to throw the game away particularly late in games.

The latest example being Antonio not holding onto the ball and letting the clock run down. I think his decision was not one born out of stupidity but more out of a lack of concern for the consequences of his poor decision. If he was playing for Morinho or Ferguson do you think he would have made that same decision. I doubt it because he would have been publicly lambasted and sat on the bench for the next month until he earned his manager’s trust again. Will that happen with Slaven? What were the consequences for the red cards for Arnautovic or Carroll? Back in the team immediately. How about Zabaleta and Ogbonna now?

The odd mistake here or there can be put down to individual errors, frequent mistakes would indicate a different kind of problem. We have that different kind of problem.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:
If he was playing for Morinho or Ferguson do you think he would have made that same decision. I doubt it because he would have been publicly lambasted and sat on the bench for the next month until he earned his manager’s trust again
I suppose one small difference might be that Morinho or Ferguson would've had a top class player in the first place and been able to replace them with a top class player for a month.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

It's all relative. He is an average player and we have plenty of those to replace him with,