Crystal Palace 2-2 West Ham Utd (28/10/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Re: Crystal Palace v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by HammerAl »

Being ripped a new one on MNF.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

HammerAl wrote:Being ripped a new one on MNF.
Big time, dont think Carragher likes us much but least he was critical of the owners so that is a plus for me.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Certainly didn’t pull any punches.To have 6 players ahead of the ball in the 96th minute is criminal,but to do it twice in the 96th minute is beyond belief.
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Absolutely. I know he goes a bit over the top at times and as much as I hated hearing his damning words against my club, I agreed with every word. Something is massively wrong with the club from the top to the bottom and I’m glad it’s not just Slav that’s getting stick. Everyone at the club needs a good look at themselves.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:The latest example being Antonio not holding onto the ball and letting the clock run down. I think his decision was not one born out of stupidity but more out of a lack of concern for the consequences of his poor decision. If he was playing for Morinho or Ferguson do you think he would have made that same decision. I doubt it because he would have been publicly lambasted and sat on the bench for the next month until he earned his manager’s trust again.
the last time the manager made him do something he didn't want to do, he sulked his way out of the role and got the owners to give the manager an ultimatum.

he won't be starting the next game and i can't see a place for him in the starting XI as long as we're playing the formation we are until we pick up a couple of injuries. he could've made it as a wing back (and i suspect that's what conte had in mind too because he was never getting in ahead of hazard, pedro or willian) but sunk that ship with a sulky performance.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I thought the analysis was bang on :thup:

Clearly the stats don't lie.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Not exactly revelatory stuff from Carragher. Didn't try hard enough vs Palace, loads of out players are old, doesn't seem to be any thought put in to recruitment.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

wildkard wrote:Not exactly revelatory stuff from Carragher. Didn't try hard enough vs Palace, loads of out players are old, doesn't seem to be any thought put in to recruitment.
Overcommiting players too which has been a problem for a while. Shouldn’t have six players in the opposition half when you are seeing out a win.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

wildkard wrote:Not exactly revelatory stuff from Carragher. Didn't try hard enough vs Palace, loads of out players are old, doesn't seem to be any thought put in to recruitment.
I disagree .

Six players in front of the ball when we're leading with seconds to go ? Poor on field game management , poor decisions by players .

Saturdays result was terrible , a draw that felt like a defeat and with harder fixtures to come a real body blow .
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

What I mean is, he's not telling us anything that we don't already know. And indeed that anybody with a passing interest in West Ham doesn't already know.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

wildkard wrote:What I mean is, he's not telling us anything that we don't already know. And indeed that anybody with a passing interest in West Ham doesn't already know.
Which I think just shows how basic the errors are.

They did the same analysis of us overcommiting players 18 or so months ago. Found three examples where we had seven or eight players in the opposition half when the ball was turned over.

We are making the same kind of mistakes over and over.
westham,eggyandchips

wildkard wrote:What I mean is, he's not telling us anything that we don't already know. And indeed that anybody with a passing interest in West Ham doesn't already know.
So you knew that six players were ahead of the ball TWICE in the space of a minute when we’re trying to hold on to a much needed win?
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

Whatever your thoughts about Carragher and Neville and their supposed anti-West Ham sentiments,I can't disagree with anything they've said.Also quite illuminating to see them put us in the same group as Sunderland,Villa etc as a team with very serious problems.The second-half comeback against Spurs might have damaged us pretty badly in the long term.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: So you knew that six players were ahead of the ball TWICE in the space of a minute when we’re trying to hold on to a much needed win?
I'd obviously have to rewatch to check exact times (as Carragher no doubt did), but yes, it was pretty obvious. Not sure what your point is here.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

ludo22 wrote:Whatever your thoughts about Carragher and Neville and their supposed anti-West Ham sentiments,I can't disagree with anything they've said.Also quite illuminating to see them put us in the same group as Sunderland,Villa etc as a team with very serious problems.The second-half comeback against Spurs might have damaged us pretty badly in the long term.
They're saying exactly what I think. We'll go down if we carry on playing like we did against Palace, and I can see very strong similarities with the teams mention above.
westham,eggyandchips

wildkard wrote: It was pretty obvious. Not sure what your point is here.
If it was pretty obvious to you then fair play for spotting it.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

TheRealHammer wrote:Just because they are individual errors doesn't mean the manager is off the hook. If I make an error at work it could be because the manager hadn't explained something correctly.
I think you just have to take the rough with the smooth when you're in the hot seat.

If you're going to wall him off from anything to do with Ogbonna's wobble, you have to recognise he had about as much to do with Ayew's individual effort on goal.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

What is weird is the 97th minute was probably the only time in the whole 2nd half we had men in front of the ball!

We spent the previous 51 minutes of the 2nd half doing our level best to attack as little as possible, and then decide to go balls and all in the 52nd minute of the half!

Baffling
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:What is weird is the 97th minute was probably the only time in the whole 2nd half we had men in front of the ball!

We spent the previous 51 minutes of the 2nd half doing our level best to attack as little as possible, and then decide to go balls and all in the 52nd minute of the half!

Baffling
I was thinking this yesterday. Its amazing to think that really. Still doesn't excuse the laziness of the attempted cross or thought process behind it but its baffling to think how fast the players must have run to catch up and get in the box. Craziness really.

Rush of blood.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

wildkard wrote:"westham,eggyandchips"
So you knew that six players were ahead of the ball TWICE in the space of a minute when we’re trying to hold on to a much needed win?

I'd obviously have to rewatch to check exact times (as Carragher no doubt did), but yes, it was pretty obvious. Not sure what your point is here.
What was glaringly obvious was that after giving the ball away cheaply in the dying seconds of the game Antonio was in no urgency to get back and recover his position on the right side of defence, even if he was on his last legs all it required was less than a minute of application and commitment to see the game out.