what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Big George »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
Good bogs are not appreciated enough. The amount of boozers I've been in and the toilets are unbelieveable. The two that go down as being the worst was the Earl of Wakefield in East Ham just behind the ground and The George Robey.
The outdoor "donkey trap" at the Black Lion before they rebuilt the toilet wasn't great.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Big George wrote:The outdoor "donkey trap" at the Black Lion before they rebuilt the toilet wasn't great.
It saved me on numerous occasions from wetting myself so I'll give that one a bye.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:
It saved me on numerous occasions from wetting myself so I'll give that one a bye.
east London's first example of gender-neutral toilets if I remember rightly :oops:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

Almost on a par with the trough outside the Ruskin Arms which had a sign painted on the wall "Men. Urinal only. NO s***"
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

:lol: ^^
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:Almost on a par with the trough outside the Ruskin Arms which had a sign painted on the wall "Men. Urinal only. NO s***"
Love it.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

I remember going in The Grill (it used to be a restaurant but they turned it into a pub in around 1910 and never changed the name) in Aberdeen in the '80s. Until 1975 they actual banned women from the pub with a sign on the door "No Ladies, please", until the Sex Discrimination Act allowed them in. Then the sign was replaced with "There are no ladies toilets in this establishment". They eventually provided one about 20 years ago.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Wembley1966 wrote:I remember going in The Grill (it used to be a restaurant but they turned it into a pub in around 1910 and never changed the name) in Aberdeen in the '80s. Until 1975 they actual banned women from the pub with a sign on the door "No Ladies, please", until the Sex Discrimination Act allowed them in. Then the sign was replaced with "There are no ladies toilets in this establishment". They eventually provided one about 20 years ago.
A common tactic in Scotland, the Tennents bar in Glasgow did the same
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

There was (is?) a brilliant pub in the commercial centre of Liverpool called the Hole in the Wall, you went down a few stone steps,the cellar was at ground level,and the excellent Higsons was delivered via brass pipes that came down from the ceiling.Only opened at lunchtime weekdays, no women.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:The two that go down as being the worst was the Earl of Wakefield in East Ham just behind the ground
You used to have to pull your trouser legs up so they didn't soak the piss up off the floor as you were having a piss, then wipe your feet on the carpet as you came out to dry them off.

Close to kick-off you needed platforms or wellies to stop getting a booty
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Widow's Son, Bow, E14.

Second time I've been in here and I'm impressed. Run by a very nice and affable bunch of Morrocan guys (IIRC) the Bun House has been given a new lease of life. It was closed down but has been reopened awhile and has become a better decorated, smarter-looking, well designed place. Still the one big bar and a large outside area, it looks bigger now with larger windows plus the mirrors behind the bar.

It stocks a decent range of lagers (Estrella; Heineken plus others I can't remember) and they also sell a range of bottled beers, including Pacifico, which was nice.

My ale drinking mate was unimpressed with the ale range and he stuck to the Pacifico. I went for the Jimi Hendrix Tribute band, but was thrown a curve ball when I walked in as there was a Swing DJ and about 20 people dancing to the tunes. However that all finished at 9pm and the Jimi tribute band took the stage - and they were pretty good. They made a good fist of it. The people were a real mix of locals, some office peeps and day trippers.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Apparently they have free entry for live music every Friday and Sat and are open till 1pm. An Estrella and a Pacifico came to about £8-ish and both drinks were highly enjoyable. Oh and decent bogs to. I'll be back. 8/10

The Beehive, Bow, E14

Another well designed and laid out pub with one large walk through bar with a very (I mean VERY) small gig area attached. Once again really helpful bar staff, decent beer and decent prices. Run by a Lithuanian family (I am told) that were schooled in how to run a pub by cockneys: The result is a very enjoyable boozer. Ok the locals are rough and ready - and mostly steaming drunk. I've been here a dozen times though and never seen a row, and the people I have been introduced too are friendly enough.

They serve the usual lagers here (Stella for me) but they had a small range of ales and an IPA called Eagles something on offer at £2.50 a pint. They also have a great internet connected Juke box and a quid for 5 tunes is decent. Exceptional bogs btw, a bit cramped but very clean and well decorated.

We had a listen to the comedy on offer and it was not great. But again this venue hosts Free comedy/music nights every Friday and most Saturdays. If you like a bit of experimental music, this is the place to be on 10/5/17. 8/10
sgb1972
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by sgb1972 »

The Bear, Stock, Essex

A fairly regular venue for me, great roast dinner, good service, quality Guinness just right for this time of year, decor and atmosphere bang on for a cosy village pub, 9/10.

Would be 10/10 but slightly limited on lagers.
Crawley Iron

Post by Crawley Iron »

A trip to Coventry at the weekend to go back to uni days (polytechnic actually), and where me and Mrs Iron met.

The Spon Gate
A typical city centre Wetherspoons pub in a newish building. Decent beer - I had a pint of Shagweaver and another of Thin Ice, and, I'm ashamed to admit, some edible food from the Christmas menu.
Pub 7/10, toilets 8/10

Twisted Barrel Brewery Tap
As the name suggests this is the tap house for the Twisted Barrel Brewery. They have apparently moved into the current building within the last month, and it does feel very new, and rather clinical at the moment. A couple of pints of their Inspired ale from a choice of over 20 ales. Mid Saturday afternoon it felt a bit characterless, but that may come with time.
Pub & beers 8/10, toilets 10/10

The Golden Cross
This is a pub very near to the ruins of Coventry Cathedral, and dates back to the 16th century. Back in the day (35ish years ago!) it was a bit of a bikers' pub, and it has been recently refurbished and now feels like a good modern pub/ historic pub combination. A pint of Hoppy Poppy here in a friendly environment.
Pub 9/10, toilets 8/10

The Windmill
Another historic Coventry pub, this one doesn't seem to have changed much in 35 years and is my favourite Coventry pub. Low beams, lots of small rooms and nooks and crannies, it feels like a real pub. A pint of Bunny Hop Purity here - it's also very close to the My Dhabba Indian restaurant, which is also well worth a visit.
Pub 10/10

The Earl of Mercia
Another Spoons pub, we just popped in for a nightcap. Located in an old bank building, the first floor was full of students and the ground floor full of a mixture of Saturday night types. Nothing spectacular 7/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Dick Turpin

Southend Arterial road.

Just been done up (By Greene King). Not one Greene King beer/ale on sale, the bar is still only 15 feet long despite the pub being one of the biggest in Essex, so you end up with a massive queue snaking around the restaurant. Chaos getting a table to eat, frozen spuds being served, the young carver not knowing how much meat to slice, Air Con ramped up in November.......I could go on.

A generous 2/10
Greatest Cockney Rip Off

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Dick Turpin

Southend Arterial road.

Just been done up (By Greene King). Not one Greene King beer/ale on sale, the bar is still only 15 feet long despite the pub being one of the biggest in Essex, so you end up with a massive queue snaking around the restaurant. Chaos getting a table to eat, frozen spuds being served, the young carver not knowing how much meat to slice, Air Con ramped up in November.......I could go on.

A generous 2/10
Greene King seem to be buying up lots of pubs and turning them into gastro abominations. They did the same with the Bull and Gate in Kentish town. Not been since it's been done up but it's a hell hole by all accounts.
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

After my trip to Winchester I visited several pubs:

Albion
One of the quietest pubs I have ever been to. It was fairly busy but it was like being at an Arsenal match. I had a pint of Flower Pots Bitter which was fairly nice. 5/10

The Hyde Tavern
This place came recommended but I was really disappointed. Only two beers on, one being Flower Pots Bitter and the other a porter. The woman behind the bar was chatting at the back bar and didn't even acknowledge me. As I left one of the customers asked if I needed to be served. I said "no thanks" and went on my way. Looked nice otherwise. 3/10

The Mucky Duck
A Greene King pub but not a bad one. I had a pint of Mucky Bitter, which was quite nice. Lots of TV screens for the sport so obviously specializes in that. Chatted to one "local" who actually lives in the USA. 6/10

St. James Tavern
Looked like the kind of pub I would take my wife to. Cannot remember the beer I tried but it was palatable. Quite quiet apart from the bar staff chatting with their mates but they were friendly enough. 6/10

The Black Boy
A large and quirky pub with lots of rooms here and there. Back on the Flower Pots Bitter as I wasn't keen on the other offerings. Bogs were probably not up to standard. Sat next to an old guy telling me "that he never asked for immigration in this country". Then to someone who lives in Africa. 7/10

Interesting evening but felt Winchester is a bit boring (nice place for a wander around and a meal but not a pub crawl). Not the friendliest of places either - kind of place where you have to start the conversation and when you do you suddenly realise you are talking to the local nutter (or they are scared you are a nutter).
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

woodgreenspur wrote:If we are talking classy khazis,then check out the Princess louise in Holborn.
Victorian toilets,very classy.Or they were last time i ventured into them.
Big :thup: for this boozer. I love sitting in one of the booths at the bar.

And as you say, the bogs are a thing of beauty.
WHU Independent

woodgreenspur wrote:If we are talking classy khazis,then check out the Princess louise in Holborn.
Victorian toilets,very classy.Or they were last time i ventured into them.

Big :thup: for this boozer. I love sitting in one of the booths at the bar.

And as you say, the bogs are a thing of beauty.
I'm off there - The Princess Louise not the bogs! - for a few jars tomorrow. Looking forward to it!
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Wednesday... not really a pub as such

The Cavern Club, Liverpool

4/5

Down a couple flights of stairs from ground level and the place just reeks of history. Lovely proper brick arches, live music all day, walls all grafiitied with names and walls lined with things like guitars, posters etc.

Marked down for plastic glasses (understandable with the footfall) and the beer could have been a bit cheaper elsewhere at £4.10 for a pint of Fosters but whatever, hearing Imagine being sung live in Liverpool was great.
WHU Independent

Princess Louise, Holborn. You couldn't make it up. I got there and my mates had plotted up in the upstairs bar. I go to the bar to buy a round and the woman serving recognises me, greeting me by my Christian name. It turns out that is the daughter of someone who I know very well, that lives opposite my house! And she's not just serving, she is running the gaff atm! Needless to say a lovely, long and inebriated night took place with lots of reminiscing, as all my mates know her as well!

Anyhow, the pub is still wonderfully decorated and laid out. I started off on the Organic Lager, which was decent enough and reasonably priced. I then moved onto the wine and their house red and rose' were both up there with the best house wine I'd ever had in a pub. I've paid more money in fancy restaurants for wine which wasn't half as good.

The service was excellent, the staff lovely and helpful and the atmosphere was buzzing and enjoyable. The toilets are probably the best in London, if not the UK. WE all loved it and will e going back soon. A solid 9/10 - Toilets: 10/10

The Barbican Centre Overpriced and underwhelming Rose wine, that was either too sweet are too bitter. At £8.25 a large glass, they should have the decency to sell decent wine. Don't get me started about the coffee. At the interval I queued up for 15 mins to get 2 black coffees and paid £5.60 for the privilege, when the announcement comes over the tamnnoy that the concert is starting in 2 mins and if we don't go in now we won't be allowed in until "an appropriate break takes place in the performance."

I go to get back in and am told that "only water is allowed in the auditorium." We can't drink the coffee's as they are still steaming hot so we had to leave them outside. Bastards!