Planning permission objections and comments

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Planning permission objections and comments

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:59 am

Are they anonymous?
Basically, the landlord of our building wants to make some changes to it, the biggest of which will result in us losing almost all the natural light in our lounge.
The council letter we received says we can comment on the application, and those comments will be available to view at the council offices and may be on their website.
My gut feeling is that if we comment and he doesn't get the planning permission, then when our tenancy comes up for renewal he will decide that he doesn't want to, and give us notice.
If we don't comment, and he gets the planning permission, then we'll end up having to move anyway once the work is done.
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Re: Planning permission objections and comments

Postby East Sussex Hammer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:41 am

HI WHUdel.

If you put in a complaint I do not think that it can be anonymous however there are strict rules as to how much natural light you need ie he cannot build something that restricts the amount of natural light that you receive too much.

Best thing to do is to ring the planning inspector and speak to them voicing your concern and explaining your situation.

My son is training to be an architect ( he has already gained loads of experience) but unfortunately is away at the moment. I will seek his advice for you and post a message when he gets back.

Bear in Mind you only have 6 weeks to do this from the date of the planning application.
East Sussex Hammer

Postby East Sussex Hammer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:55 am

Here you go quicker reply than I thought but basically summing up what I said. The case officers name will be on the planning application.

Quite a hard one, objections cannot be anonymous and there are planning rules about right to light, best thing would be to contact the case officer stated on the app and have a chat obviously if he put an objection in he will probably get kicked out at the end of tenancy

Hope this helps a little. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
East Sussex Hammer

Postby hessa on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:34 am

If you want your objection to be considered then you will need to write/email in. Any objections received will be available to view at the Council Offices by anyone who requests to see them. The objections will also be put on the Council website pages for other documentation relating to the planning application. Your name and address will not be displayed on your objection if viewed on the website but will not be removed from your objection if viewed in person at the Council Offices. Ultimately whilst the objections are noted by the Planning Officer or Planning Committee if it isn't a delegated decision (made by Planning Officer), the application will be assessed against its compliance with local planning policy. If it complies with design gudielines from the Council's supplementary planning guidance then it will receive planning consent regardless of objections. Posted link below which might answer a few queries for you. Planning applications are assessed by different Boroughs in much the same way, there may be nuances in terms of planning policy or guidance but the process will be much the same.

https://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/article/6 ... ons---FAQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hessa

Postby Metal Hammer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am

hessa wrote:If you want your objection to be considered then you will need to write/email in. Any objections received will be available to view at the Council Offices by anyone who requests to see them. The objections will also be put on the Council website pages for other documentation relating to the planning application. Your name and address will not be displayed on your objection if viewed on the website but will not be removed from your objection if viewed in person at the Council Offices. Ultimately whilst the objections are noted by the Planning Officer or Planning Committee if it isn't a delegated decision (made by Planning Officer), the application will be assessed against its compliance with local planning policy. If it complies with design gudielines from the Council's supplementary planning guidance then it will be receive planning consent regardless of objections. Posted link below which might answer a few queries for you. Planning applications are assessed by different Boroughs in much the same way, there may be nuances in terms of planning policy or guidance but the process will be much the same.

https://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/article/6 ... ons---FAQs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At Hounslow we are fully electronic so there would be nothing to view at our offices. We also do not publish objections except on request and then all personal information is redacted first. As Hessa says, the application should be assessed on its planning merits against the relevant legislation and policies regardless of any objections.
Metal Hammer

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:35 am

All very interesting and useful, chaps. Thanks a lot.
Can I ask the planning officer to come and visit, so I can show them how the changes would affect us?
WHU_Del

Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Postby Metal Hammer on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:50 am

WHU_Del wrote:All very interesting and useful, chaps. Thanks a lot.
Can I ask the planning officer to come and visit, so I can show them how the changes would affect us?

Yep
Metal Hammer

Postby hammerdivone on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Whether they do or not is a different matter.
hammerdivone

Postby sendô on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:31 pm

WHU_Del wrote:My gut feeling is that if we comment and he doesn't get the planning permission, then when our tenancy comes up for renewal he will decide that he doesn't want to, and give us notice.
If we don't comment, and he gets the planning permission, then we'll end up having to move anyway once the work is done.

Surely you've answered your own question there?
sendô

Postby pablo jaye on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:08 pm

WHU_Del wrote:All very interesting and useful, chaps. Thanks a lot.

Del, you might have to go in and visit them, they will have all the plans there and take in any pics that will help you explain your concerns. Give them a ring first and explain your situation and they can advise the best way forward.

Have you spoken to your landlord? He might not be aware of the issues that it might cause.
pablo jaye

Postby WHU_Del on Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks once again, but I think Sendo has pretty much hit the nail on the head.
The landlord hadn't even spoken to the woman whose flat he wants to divide up before applying for planning permission, so I doubt he's at all interested in our light.
We've decided we'll start looking around. If he gets the PP, it'll still be a while before the job's finished, and if we have to put up with the situation for a while afterwards so be it, but we won't stay long-term.
WHU_Del

Return to The Snug