West Ham United 1-4 Liverpool (04/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Re: West Ham United v Liverpool match thread

Post by Pop Robson »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Conceded more goals than anyone else this season. At what point do we change the goalkeeper?
Next Game

Although he's a head & shoulders above the rest
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Conceded more goals than anyone else this season. At what point do we change the goalkeeper?
You could put Gordon Banks, Peter Shilton and Phil Parkes in goal together behind that sack of **** and they'd still struggle to keep a clean sheet. Out toothless midfield, AWOL defence and overall shambolic organisation are leaving the poor goalie completely exposed.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Kouyate has been going through the motions since the start of the season . He's not putting in 100% what he's capable of and taking the easy route. Another who will want to leave in Jan , probably with Lanzini and Antonio if we keep playing like this.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The major positive for me from today was to return home and find I'd been burgled so at least I haven't had to watch it again on Match of the Day .

Luckily they didn't take my West Ham teapot so I am enjoying a hot cuppa to drown my sorrows !

Dreadful stuff today .Just before they tore up field and scored their first I was urging us to take a short corner as they clearly had the height advantage over us as we were about to take the corner .To see them clear it and tear up field - who could imagine Salah would show some pace eh ?

The worst bit was , while hard working, that was one of the least impressive Liverpool teams I can recall , and in truth the score line flattered us .
ak-47

Post by ak-47 »

My 5th game this season and they've all been ****ing terrible . Im ****ing pissed off
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

the pink palermo wrote:The major positive for me from today was to return home and find I'd been burgled so at least I haven't had to watch it again on Match of the Day .

Luckily they didn't take my West Ham teapot so I am enjoying a hot cuppa to drown my sorrows !

Dreadful stuff today .Just before they tore up field and scored their first I was urging us to take a short corner as they clearly had the height advantage over us as we were about to take the corner .To see them clear it and tear up field - who could imagine Salah would show some pace eh ?

The worst bit was , while hard working, that was one of the least impressive Liverpool teams I can recall , and in truth the score line flattered us .
Sorry to hear that, if you need anything let me know only down the road
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

We could stick De Gea or Lloris in goal, we'd still lose every week if we carry on defending like we do.
Roffers
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Roffers »

I'm drunk and angry as hopefully everyone else is, fortunately, though there's the internet where you can vent your **** and get it off your chest. So here we go, random poorly constructed sentences ahoy. Just imagine I'm in a pub shouting it out.

But I don't know who West Ham are at the minute. And I'm not saying in a blame the board / stadium kind of way. I mean on the pitch. What system do we play? Who's our best team. I just don't know what the hell I'm watching week in week out. It seems to me that all the other teams in the premier league have a plan. They stuck to it. Perform their jobs And either get results or don't. But I just watch 11 players running around the pitch making **** up every time.

Our team has no identity whatsoever.

And to the bloke behind me who was screaming for Adrian to replace Hart. Do you really think he's the problem? Muppet.

Peace Out.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

@ Pop , thanks mate , I'm ok for stuff .

I'm more upset about how we played today to be honest .
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

the pink palermo wrote:The major positive for me from today was to return home and find I'd been burgled so at least I haven't had to watch it again on Match of the Day .
That sentence sums up just how dire our current situation is.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

I suppose today was only just one more nail in the coffin, but still, I feel that I've lost the club I love so much. And it f***ing kills me. I appreciate that might sound a tad melodramatic, but sadly it doesn't feel like it is.

Pinky...sorry to hear about the robbing mate, hope that gets sorted.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

not melodramatic at all mate

we're done

we're not West Ham any more
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Roffers wrote:But I don't know who West Ham are at the minute.

Our team has no identity whatsoever.

Peace Out.
Roffers, you may have had a couple of sherbets but the above two statements ring true ... one of the few things really recognisable to me is the claret and blue shirt .... we really are in a trough - things have looked pretty bleak before (but we did have the Boleyn) and things have turned upwards - looking forward to thing s looking up now.

Mind you, things need putting in perspective with real life and Pinky, sorry to hear about the burglary.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Liverpool didn't play all that well and the crushed us .... says it all ....
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

I'm 48, been watching West Ham since 1975 and I've been a season ticket holder since 1985. I've seen us get rinsed by Liverpool many times, it really don't bother me that much. But when a player openly states he no longer wants to wear our shirt comes onto the pitch, while a young lad who appears to be busting a gut and scoring goals for fun sits at home made me feel sick to the bottom of my stomach. I've watched some utter ***** down the years, but never a player who so openly don't want to be here. Part of West Ham died for me today.
Last edited by The Big Show on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

We had a game plan, but when that plan fails plan B is to throw on 3 attacking players and leave the midfield wide open.

Obiang, despite not having a great game, was left totally exposed, Kouyate asked to play tight back when he's a centre back, Reid missing 2 crucial tackles but blaming others around him, Cresswell holding hand swith three other defenders when his player out wide was totally unmarked for the third.

Honestly our defending looked like the defending I see at 10 year olds matches, everyone attracted to the ball and ball watching. Look at our reactions to theirs for the second, 3 of their players could have tapped it in before any of ours reacted - Reid just watched Matip, who he had been marking, waltz past him and slot it in.

Up until the first goal, which in itself was a joke, we had done what we set out to do, stifle them and almost scored with a rare breakaway from Ayew, but once 2 - 0 down there was only going to be one outcome, and this is where we've lost our playing identity. We are just an awful, uncohesive team, lacking confidence and not doing the basics right, like putting a shift in.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

pezza20 wrote:We had a game plan, but when that plan fails plan B is to throw on 3 attacking players and leave the midfield wide open.

Obiang, despite not having a great game, was left totally exposed, Kouyate asked to play tight back when he's a centre back, Reid missing 2 crucial tackles but blaming others around him, Cresswell holding hand swith three other defenders when his player out wide was totally unmarked for the third.

Honestly our defending looked like the defending I see at 10 year olds matches, everyone attracted to the ball and ball watching. Look at our reactions to theirs for the second, 3 of their players could have tapped it in before any of ours reacted - Reid just watched Matip, who he had been marking, waltz past him and slot it in.

Up until the first goal, which in itself was a joke, we had done what we set out to do, stifle them and almost scored with a rare breakaway from Ayew, but once 2 - 0 down there was only going to be one outcome, and this is where we've lost our playing identity. We are just an awful, uncohesive team, lacking confidence and not doing the basics right, like putting a shift in.

Couldn't agree more. A lot of the defending is amateurish at best and by players who should know better. All of them didn't cover themselves in glory and just embarrassed themselves yet again.

I think I know what the defence needs but it needs the right players back to fix it, or at worst to make it a damn sight better than it has been. We desperately miss Collins at the back. 2 week International break should hopefully see his return to the fold. I'd swap Ogbonna out in a heart beat because he simply doesn't instill any confidence in him and everyone around him looks and plays uneasy. Take the easy Cheltenham/Bolton games out of the equation and he's been part of a tonking in just about every single one this season. Thing is, up until his recent inclusion again we had got a grip on the defence keeping a manner of clean sheets or at worst conceding 1 goal, only to revert back to type the instant he's reinstated. That cannot be a coincidence and the manager and fans alike can't continue to turn a blind eye to his headless chicken ways. Decent Header, sure but that alone can't be enough. He's one of the worst ball watchers around who can't play responsibly. Lost count the amount of times he went running off in to midfield (sometimes with success like today granted) but many other times this season he's left gaping holes in defence having missed the ball and player he was supposed to clean out. For a defender, his tackling and reading of the game generally isn't good. I said it was silently killing Bilic as he's his trusted man at the back but he's been his most consistent weak link at the back who often is part of drubbings.

The other major bug bear of mine currently in defence is Hart. Now I know he had a very good game against Palace (bar the suspect soft equaliser he has a habit of letting in regularly) but I'm sorry, Bilic should have stuck with Adrian after he produced a great display in goal against Spurs and the Team were buzzing off their nut with him a big part of it. It was the perfect opportunity for Bilic to recall him for the League to breed further comfidence in a fragile defence and to take Hart out of the constant spotlight having conceded a f*** load of goals. Cresswell and Reid bith have their issues but they are also just about the best we've got and are experienced old heads which is vital now in our position, who also do have it in them to find form again.

Fernandes should his inexperience big time and was shocking. Didn't do a thing right and even got overtook by slow as arseholes Noble tracking back for their 1st when he sold himself short initially. We dearly missed any of Zabaleta/Antonio/Byram in his place instead.

Obiang and Noble were both utter dogshit today which also compounded the problems as the game wore on.

The formation and plan was working for us in general play prior to their 2 sucker punch counter and corner goals in quick succession which was frustrating as we looked like we were competing well and a cats whisker away from going 1-0 up ourselves before they then did so themselves. How's ya luck.

The thought of Moyes by the way brings me out in hives and truly hope the Board don't go down that route. On so many levels it's wrong.

I still wouldn't ditch Bilic just yet although he's wearing my patience thin and especially if Moyer is the answer (1 relegated a Team last season and the other 1 kept a side up and pulled away from danger remember) but if the inevitable was to happen, the one I would pull out all the stops for which I've long banged on about and that's Howe. Again he's proving he can get Bournemouth out of the drop zone and would fit us we as a Club and a calm influence to steady everyone which I feel we badly need. I really do rate him. The other logic to that is it would also instantly weaken a direct rival down there. It would take a **** load of cash and convincing by the Board to do it but it's not impossible if they truly want him. I think if they know whats good for them and they go for it, I'd wish Bilic well and make it happen.

The wildcard option would be Di Canio if all else fails. I know, I get it, he's a total fruitloop but I also feel he would be the kind of maverick leftfield appointment that no one saw coming that would suit us right now in what we need. Even on a temporary basis. We lack fitness? He's going to be the man to sort that out. Get an instant majornreaction from all the players and not suffer fools gladly? Again I personally feel he's be ideal for that. He's regimented, extremely disciplined and what he says would go. Yes there's a big risk as he could upset some players but for me I feel somemofmthese players at this stage need a few home truths and it certainly couldn't get a lot worse than it currently is. Plus, relegation doesn't bother me half as much as it would the Board so even if he was a total disaster, oh well. It'll certainly be entertaining to watch it all unfold and I personally feel he'd pull off a few surprises along the way. He proved that saving Sunderland from relegation against all the odds, so imagine what he could do with the Club he loves most here. Most of the crowd would be absolutely buzzing with anticipation and would feed off his antics on the touchline.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Not sure if anyone else saw the guys in the front row to the left of the dugouts celebrating the first Liverpool goal just then on MOTD?
Were they foreign tourists? That’s why I rarely go anymore and am half welcoming a relegation. Nothing worse than getting thrashed at home whilst sitting amongst foreign tourists in a soul less athletics bowl.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I couldn't watch yesterday, sadly I knew what the result would be and didn't want to sit through it. My wife is a Liverpool ST holder and was watching and she said at the beginning of the game "You lot look up for this". I just replied, "Wait until you score, then you'll score another straight away."

It's the same pattern against the big teams time and time again. Concede 2 in a short space of time.

Arsenal scored 3 in 7 minutes last season.
Man City 2 in 4 minutes.
Liverpool 2 in 5 minutes

This season Man Utd score 2 in 3 minutes
Spurs scored 2 in 3 minutes
Liverpool 2 in 3 minutes.

I'm not sure if that shows a lack of fight, belief, concentration or all of the above, but it's not a good habit to have.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

so we lose again. not surprising but the manner we did was so poor. no fight no fitness no tactics once they scored.
they were all awful aside from lanzini who was a bit better at poor.
needs a complete rethink and new ideas or else we are going down.
would rather keep slav than have moyes