West Ham United 1-4 Liverpool (04/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Re: West Ham United v Liverpool match thread

Post by Tenbury »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:I suppose today was only just one more nail in the coffin, but still, I feel that I've lost the club I love so much. And it f***ing kills me. I appreciate that might sound a tad melodramatic, but sadly it doesn't feel like it is.

C ' Mon mate, we've been here before,and we'll get it back.(I'm refusing to countenance the 'M' word).

OK, we're crap,we're going down,we've lost our home,we're owned by spivs....
Apart from that,things aren't too bad.
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

The first goal was one of my low points in watching West Ham for nearly 40 years.I've never seen something so excruciatingly inept as to concede from a corner with all defenders basically trotting back.For me,that is players who've lost all direction,respect, motivation,desire and anything else that's required to play professional sport at any level.This club has been ruined and we have to get these owners and management out to have any chance of getting a semblance of West Ham back.For me,relegation is becoming irrelevant because our REAL goal should be getting the shysters out.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

ludo22 wrote:The first goal was one of my low points in watching West Ham for nearly 40 years.I've never seen something so excruciatingly inept as to concede from a corner with all defenders basically trotting back.For me,that is players who've lost all direction,respect, motivation,desire and anything else that's required to play professional sport at any level.This club has been ruined and we have to get these owners and management out to have any chance of getting a semblance of West Ham back.For me,relegation is becoming irrelevant because our REAL goal should be getting the shysters out.
The worst thing about the first goal was that it was SO obvious.

Bilic and his backroom staff evidently spend hours watching recordings of other sides to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses yet failed to see that Liverpool with Mane and Salah have two of the quickest forwards in the league so love to counter attack at speed.

They scored an identical goal against Arsenal earlier this season, yet we didn't set up at the corner to counter it.

Thats just 100% bad management/coaching.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

ludo22 wrote:The first goal was one of my low points in watching West Ham for nearly 40 years.I've never seen something so excruciatingly inept as to concede from a corner with all defenders basically trotting back.For me,that is players who've lost all direction,respect, motivation,desire and anything else that's required to play professional sport at any level.This club has been ruined and we have to get these owners and management out to have any chance of getting a semblance of West Ham back.For me,relegation is becoming irrelevant because our REAL goal should be getting the shysters out.
Before they even crossed the halfway line it was 3 against 1. A total shambles.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Every time I see Fernandes's name on the team sheet, I sign and think to myself, here comes another defeat
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote:Every time I see Fernandes's name on the team sheet, I sign and think to myself, here comes another defeat
I say the same about Winston Reid.

At least nobody sensibly expects Fernandes to be defensively solid. He's a young player, with a certain amount of potential.

Seasoned professionals have led us to the state we're in now, not hopeful punts for the future, tried out in unfamiliar roles.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

prophet:marginal wrote: I say the same about Winston Reid.
Really? I had him as our motm yesterday.
Its not saying much I agree.
smuts

Post by smuts »

Reid has an awful habit of not doing his defensive duty but them throwing his hands up in exasperation at others....
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Puff Daddy wrote:Every time I see Fernandes's name on the team sheet, I sign and think to myself, here comes another defeat
selective memory....it was his cracking shot that led to Ayew's goal and our fightback against Tottenham :fsake:
ludo22
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

smuts wrote:Reid has an awful habit of not doing his defensive duty but them throwing his hands up in exasperation at others....

Along with Carroll looking pleadingly at the ref after being shoved in the back,the Winston Reid "accusing look at fellow defenders whilst spinning around after a stupid goal" will be my prevalent memory of this season.Anyone still defending Bilic after that first Liverpool goal yesterday needs to have a really good think.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Had a few bindipping colleagues come up to me in the office wanting a bet on the game. I declined saying using my head not my heart on this one.

They were saying "come on you are at home" or "West Ham are always up for it and give it a go" or "You beat Tottenham didn't ya"

Sadly the first two have disappeared and the third one I asked about the rest of the games this season.

Does anyone have any positives?
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Agree with many Liverpool did not play well, but we let them play and score goals easily, it is difficult to praise one player for us from Hart who two goals one which he pushed to a Liverpool player and the other kicked, to Fernandes each match goes backwards and like others I dread to see his name on the sheet, Reid was bad yesterday as was Cresswell, the list could go on! oh the striker who still has to score, give Crouch his dues similar player fourth goal yesterday!

What I don't like is the way some of the crowd reacted to Noble, he was not the only bad player, personally I have never booed any player! Feel for Bilic, I am not defending him but once the players are on the pitch and are as bad as yesterday what can you do.
My_Sobriquet
Has liked: 89 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by My_Sobriquet »

Again just a complete and total lack of organisation and team work.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

It's funny, I think he did some good things. But it's a tough situation for a young player to come into. It's a tough situation for any player.
aitchayell

Post by aitchayell »

Good players must not be given time on the ball or space to work in. You add together time, space and skill and there’s only one outcome so what I just cannot understand is why we consistently let teams enjoy largely untroubled unchallenged possession. Liverpool allowed us none of that. How many times did we lose possession because of their pressing?
smuts

Post by smuts »

One thing I will say is that the shove on Hernandez was a lot worse than the one Zabaleta got penalised for against Southampton.

Funny Liverpool get the benefit of the doubt isn't it?
traxop

Post by traxop »

pezza20 wrote:
Honestly our defending looked like the defending I see at 10 year olds matches, everyone attracted to the ball and ball watching. Look at our reactions to theirs for the second, 3 of their players could have tapped it in before any of ours reacted - Reid just watched Matip, who he had been marking, waltz past him and slot it in.
Really? Maybe you need to re-watch that Matip goal again. The ball took a deflection from Noble leading to a goal-bound save from Hart which rebounded to the Liverpool players. Now you might ask why didn't Reid follow Matip? If you review the footage, you can see both Noble and Reid were in line with the general path of the ball, Reid extended his leg in a motion to intercept the ball - and would have if Noble had failed to get a touch on it.

His positioning was correct, he was on the right side of Liverpool players, he would have prevented the ball from reaching the Liverpool players had the ball missed Noble - but the fact he extend his leg meant that he was committed to the blocking motion and was left flat-footed.

Like I said at the time, the goal was what it was. Noble and Reid did nothing particularly wrong, they were in line with the cross, in front of their men, reacted like they should have - it is just that the ball broke the way it did.
woodywoody
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

I put 2 tickets on the exchange a week ago and they couldn't even sell them for this class 1 game. Why do they just sit in there towers from above staring at this situation.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

One of Reid's worst performances in a long time. Bad habit of running out of defence trying to win a ball
He has no chance of winning leaving acres of space in behind him for an attacker to step into.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I don't get the Reid hate.

It wasn't his best performance yesterday, but in the modern game he has shown loyalty and apart from Nobes is our longest serving player.

By coming out of a three and trying to win balls he has about a 50% success rate I reckon, and it's refreshing when he does it.

He may not be at the level he was a few years ago, but every player has a dip in form. I don't think he's a captain either.