West Ham United 1-1 Leicester City (24/11/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: West Ham United v Leicester City: Match Thread

Post by m-h »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Reminded me of bilics first season when payet and Lanzini were injured and we had to resort to grinding out the results through hard work.
:thup:
Indeed and we are going to need a lot more of that midweek and through our December fixtures.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Wilko1304 wrote:Surprised to see some thinking Kouyate was excellent and supportive of Carroll, with the word "mobile" used.

Kouyate was more intriguing, as I think he probably was carrying out instructions, but our midfield was left vulnerable by his positioning and he is also extremely good at doing things that make him look drunk. I would say Lanzini in particular will struggle to look a creative force with Kouyate and Carroll as the two options ahead of him.

he was taller than some people and got into the box.
:D When this forms part of the assessment of a player's performance, it really sounds a bit desperate.
Last edited by Sir_Trevor on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
The goal scorer was cresswell's man. He was looking at him as he was running back towards goal and then completely lost him.
Certainly not blameless by any means
Haven't watched it closely, but I had the impression that he did manage to get back next to his man, but just made no attempt to challenge or block him at all.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Funniest thing last night was watching Masuaku dribble the ball on the edge of our box and hit it back into a through ball to Vardy and almost giving the game away. That bloke is mental.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Leicester first.
Vardy is a very good, some would say lethal, finisher. Stop the supply into him & he pretty much disappears in games. Which was the case last night. Whether that was our doing that or Leicester failing to supply, I couldn't tell.
Mahrez is such a quality player. Has the dribbling & balance of Devonshire. The look on his face when he saw his number to come off. Love to know what Arabic swear words he said to himself. Seriously dischuffed. If Leicester fans think they're going to hang onto him beyond this season...
They & Albrighton will never score an easier goal all season. Absolute piss-poor defending & an unnecessary hill to then have to get up.
Us.
Arnie's attitude was hugely improved, 100% really. Really good to see. Obviously a player who needs a great deal of emotional support from his manager & teammates. If he doesn't get it, we get the sulky, petulent child that Stoke saw plenty of. Moyes (hopefully) appears to understand that, maybe. Sorry, guys. Some players are just like that. You do remember PDC?
Everything else about everyone else has probably been covered on the thread already. It would appear that we still don't have enough actual, reliable quality in the team. 'Good Cop' Gold has already softened us up with "we don't/won't have much money to spend in January". Well, if you don't or at least get effective loans in, we are going to be relegated this season. 1-1 at home to Leicester this season, is relegation form. Your choice, Daves.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Funniest thing last night was watching Masuaku dribble the ball on the edge of our box and hit it back into a through ball to Vardy and almost giving the game away. That bloke is mental.

That and that other moment at the other end of the pitch when in acres of space by the bi line when not for the first time last night, he took yet another clumsy heavy touch and hit it out for a goal kick
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

TheHandOfDog wrote:Funniest thing last night was watching Masuaku dribble the ball on the edge of our box and hit it back into a through ball to Vardy and almost giving the game away. That bloke is mental.
That was ridiculous, he dribbled it out of danger but then should have just bloody launched it!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Kev59 wrote:
**** knows what Ogbonna was up to for their goal. In fact, our back four, minus Cresswell were all over the shop
ogbonna missed the ball laughably, but at least he knew what he was trying to do: block the cross.
cresswell didn't attack the ball, didn't take his man and had a great "what the f*** am i doing here" face.
he thought ogbonna would have kicked the ball away and switched off. and then had the front to raise his arms like it was the world's fault.

his passing's been ***** too.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

I'm just used to Cresswell switching off, Oggy making a hash of it, Zab getting caught up the pitch then running in treacle to get back.

It's not going to get any better.
duncanio
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by duncanio »

I haven't seen Reid taking any flak for the goal. If the cross doesn't cone in then there's not a problem. Reid watches players go past him, it's not the first time. Underwhelmed by him this season. Responsibility for that goal in my view; Reid, Oggy, Cresswell, in that order.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Imho, Zabaleta was possibly at fault for the 1st goal but how far back do we turn back time? He followed the man/ball inside and left a big gap which gave Vardy a clear run into a dangerous wide area. Reid didn't want to get too close in case he nicked it past him to the byline, but this looked like a bad decision at the time because it gave Vardy just enough time and room to cross the ball. But in effect, Reid could have made the right decision because we had enough cover to block the cross, but Ogbonna aired it because he is so left foot dominant and is useless on his right. Cresswell could see Ogbonna was covering any pass to Albrighton, so was trying to block any cross closer to the goal line and to the far side of our goal (in case a Leic player was making a run behind and outside him). It looks like the first mistake was Zab, but we re-organised and got all the angles covered but was ruined by the unprecedented air kick by Ogbonna. So imho, Zab and Ogbonna made the real mistakes.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

trouble is the defence is poor every game and we leave ourselves too much to do when we finally get going.

zab too slow to play the marauding fullback or wing back we need byram back to give the block a rest.
he will be knackered by the time we play city.

ogbonna is clumsy at best and not up to it
reid is ok but surrounded by crap
Collins is too slow now
fonte injured but getting old
cresswell doesn't tackle anyone and is awful now
Arthur is good as a left winger/midfielder but not as a LB
Byram injured

rice looks good but young and inexperienced
reeces x2 out on loan

only other options are Fernandez at RB and kouyate at CB

we need new defenders ASAP
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

ChzMff wrote:It's quite obvious that Moyes is asking Kouyate to use his height, physical presence and energy to get in the opposition box, often pulling on the back post against the full back. It's a similar tactic he used with Fellaini. He then has Lanzini picking the ball up deeper, trying to break the lines and play the pass. It's not earth shattering football but it can be effective.
Colours never run wrote:Exactly that. Same predictable tactic.
It's the "same predictable tactic" that Bilic was using....
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

smuts wrote:I'm just used to Cresswell switching off, Oggy making a hash of it, Zab getting caught up the pitch then running in treacle to get back.

It's not going to get any better.
Does Cresswell switch 'on' .... must have missed it
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The cross goes to Ogbonna's 'wrong' foot - his right - and the deflection falls nicely for Albrighton.

Is Cresswell really in the wrong position or is he in the right one to stop a ball fizzed into the gap between the goalie and back line but he just gets unlucky with the deflection?

We've only let in one goal rather than the usual deluge. If the defence average that for the rest of the season we'll finish top half.
brothernero
Has liked: 700 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Bubbles1966, just a question but do you honestly think we have even a 1% chance of finishing top half this season?

(Going on other posts of yours, also it's a genuine question and not a dig)
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

That's fair tbh Bubbs

I just can't remember the last time Cresswell did something that was notable defensively. I know he's always been better going forward but, hell, I can even remember Arnautovic and Carroll making key challenges but not our left back.

Even his great crossing seems to be two that hit the first man before a decent one.

We continue to be 'unlucky' with deflections in our own box - is that bad luck or players not on their toes and/or well positioned?
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

I like the positive vibe you give off bubbles but Ogbonna, just like the rest of our back 4 is a liability and has fallen short of standard premier league defending for a while now. Maybe Moyes can get it sorted, only time will tell.
preston
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by preston »

Agree with HoD, all Ogbonna had to do was make contact with a ball on the ground that was kicked straight at him. He didn't even have to clear it, just not miss it. The fact an Italian international couldn't even manage that is more than worrying. He is a liability for a lot of the time and either can't concentrate all the time, or just too inconsistent for us. Can't really expect cresswell to read a team mate missing a simple cross directed straight at him. I do think that Cresswell is not a great defender also, and is being found out the more we are under pressure. Arthur ain't the answer though - he reminds me of Ogbonna but with a lot more skill, but with similar lack of focus. I'd really like to see Rice given a run at centre half.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

brothernero wrote:Bubbles1966, just a question but do you honestly think we have even a 1% chance of finishing top half this season?
Yes.

We're 6 points off 9th and only two points down on where we were this time last year.

We've thrown five points away in the last few minutes of games against Palace, Burnley and Southampton.I really don't see anything much between 7th and 20th in terms of quality.

Organisation, workrate and confidence seem critical,

If we improve our organisation and workrate then results should start to come, breeding confidence.

That said, we might finish 20th if we don't.