EFLCQF: Arsenal 1-0 West Ham Utd (19/12/17)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Re: Arsenal v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by rciron »

So,so ****ed off, took 2 days off work, done a 437 mile round trip and a £146 train ticket, to watch that ****, f*** you Moyes I will never bother again, while you cherry pick the games you fancy its the paying fan who gets shafted, once again, you ginger sweaty **** :twisted:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

rciron wrote:So,so ****ed off, took 2 days off work, done a 437 mile round trip and a £146 train ticket, to watch that ****, **** you Moyes I will never bother again, while you cherry pick the games you fancy its the paying fan who gets shafted, once again, you ginger sweaty **** :twisted:

Just get over it and get a grip... :idea:

Not my words. I understand your pain though. Great effort if it's any consolation.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

rottiel wrote:I do, how else do you explain Tuesday night, it was obvious after 10 mins we wernt bothered.
Do you think he then told the players to chuck the game in turn?

Some explanations:
Some players were knackered
Some players simply didn't turn up
Arsenal controlled the game and had us chasing shadows for much of it... it sometimes happens against better quality away from home

I don't buy into the notion that we chucked the game... not every time you lose it's a chucked game. Sometimes you just perform ****...
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

1 shot on target from either side. If Hart comes off his line and smothers that loose ball and we end up through on penalties are people still furious about us throwing it? Or is it job well done and a thumbs up for givIng two, TWO (not a Nottingham Forest Style debacle, not a youth/reserve side) youth players a chance?

The performance was shocking but the defence remained as solid as in previous games, restricting an Arsenal side with Walcott, Welbeck and Giroud upfront to one shot is good work.

In attack we were woeful, but our play was massively hindered by Cresswell being forced out of position, injuries to Noble, Kouyate, Fernandes and Arnie, and Zabaleta and Antonio unavailable.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Forget our lack of shots on goal for a moment. Was there any time in that entire game where we showed any kind of intent at all? No intent goes a a long way to explaining no shots on target. Forget Arsenal - they didn't give a toss about it either. I don't care about them.

I have always been able to live with West Ham being beaten. I can even accept no shots on target. But like that? With zero intent? I'll never accept that. Not even in the days of Terence Brown do I remember us not trying to win a cup tie. Throwing it/ not caring about it/ prioritising other games - call it what you will - it's become the default position and it's not good.

We've never won the league and we're never going to win the league. We always were a cup team. Renowned for it. It's what made us special. Now though? We're a nothing club who has stopped dreaming about anything other than the next Sky cheque.

If after seven years of this lot we still haven't got to the stage when we can give the cups a go then I think it's unlikely we ever will. I've seen us win a cup final at Wembley. It's just brilliant and stays with you for life. Are we really not going to bother to try to give our younger supporters that same feeling?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

No.

Try the popcorn.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

moyes contract has a £2m bonus to avoid relegation and nothing in it for winning a cup
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

westlondonhammer wrote: Do you think he then told the players to chuck the game in turn?

I don't buy into the notion that we chucked the game... not every time you lose it's a chucked game. Sometimes you just perform ****...
of course no one was told to chuck the game. That is tinfoil hat time.

However, Moyes decided to line up in one of the most defensive formations we have ever fielded, and adopt the completely over the top ultra defensive tactics.

it was boring enough in the home league game the week before (when we had no shots on target), but it went to new levels on Tuesday night

Playing a kamikaze attacking style would have been just as likely to see us get knocked out (if that was really what he wanted), but at least it would have been a bit more entertaining
Crouchend_Hammer

psychoscoredthelot wrote:moyes contract has a £2m bonus to avoid relegation and nothing in it for winning a cup
and if got to a cup final, his managerial stock/ profile would be much improved
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

If we do well in the league and finish in a good position then his managerial stock/ profile would be much improved. Nobody outside of West Ham will remember this match ever existed.
Crouchend_Hammer

Burnley Hammer wrote:If we do well in the league and finish in a good position then his managerial stock/ profile would be much improved. Nobody outside of West Ham will remember this match ever existed.
I am sure Moyes is prioritising the league, as do most managers

However, i don't think he 'chucked' the game. He just deployed awful, soul destroying, boring, defensive tactics

He could have played those same players, but given it a go. We would likely still of lost, but at least it wouldn't have been such a shameful performance. He chose not to
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I still think Obiang almost single-handedly ruined us in this game. He should have been the driving force of our midfield. The one that linked up defence and attack. He was awful though. Truly awful. Every time we got the ball back, it would end up back with him and he'd stupidly give it away again with a rubbish pass straight to one of their players. Who else did we have though? Midfield was one area we couldn't really change during the match. We had no options. It killed us. They controlled the centre of the park, cut off supply to the front men, and were able to push players further forward.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Is there anybody on here that actually went to the game that is happy with that performance and believes we went all out to win.

7000 people gave up time and money to watch that crap and I for one don't believe many who travelled agree with the "Newcastle is more important malakey"
Ferret

Post by Ferret »

Edited by a moderator flaming

All other attempts will be deleted
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

8-)
rottiel wrote:Is there anybody on here that actually went to the game that is happy with that performance and believes we went all out to win.

7000 people gave up time and money to watch that crap and I for one don't believe many who travelled agree with the "Newcastle is more important malakey"
DaveWHU1964 wrote:Forget our lack of shots on goal for a moment. Was there any time in that entire game where we showed any kind of intent at all? No intent goes a a long way to explaining no shots on target. Forget Arsenal - they didn't give a toss about it either. I don't care about them.

I have always been able to live with West Ham being beaten. I can even accept no shots on target. But like that? With zero intent? I'll never accept that. Not even in the days of Terence Brown do I remember us not trying to win a cup tie. Throwing it/ not caring about it/ prioritising other games - call it what you will - it's become the default position and it's not good.

We've never won the league and we're never going to win the league. We always were a cup team. Renowned for it. It's what made us special. Now though? We're a nothing club who has stopped dreaming about anything other than the next Sky cheque.
If after seven years of this lot we still haven't got to the stage when we can give the cups a go then I think it's unlikely we ever will. I've seen us win a cup final at Wembley. It's just brilliant and stays with you for life. Are we really not going to bother to try to give our younger supporters that same feeling?
Happy days :thup:
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

rottiel wrote:Is there anybody on here that actually went to the game that is happy with that performance and believes we went all out to win.

I went Newcastle is the more important game for me.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

It's not a one off though is it? Not just a bad day in the office.

Wednesday>Forest>City>Euros>Arsenal.

The Club has an unofficial policy of at least fielding weaker sides in the Cups, at worst being happy at going out of the tournaments.

**** either way.
preston
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by preston »

What makes the Arsenal one even worse is they put their 2nd XI out, all change for them tonight. We couldn't muster one single meaningful attack! It was if they were told 'be careful out there, no risks' - absolutely shocking display from top down.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 677 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Vienna wrote: I went Newcastle is the more important game for me.
Why? Can we win the league?
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

preston wrote:What makes the Arsenal one even worse is they put their 2nd XI out, all change for them tonight. We couldn't muster one single meaningful attack! It was if they were told 'be careful out there, no risks' - absolutely shocking display from top down.
They couldn't muster one single meaningful attack, either.

Both teams went ultra defensive at the same time. That's football.