Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Forever Moore

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by Forever Moore »

Referring to the incident, Adrian tweeted after the game joking: "If you were watching the game, I had the ball in my hands one second early but... @PapiCheikhou needs crack his neck so I tried to help him, so sorry I have two job, save goals and help my teammates #goalkeeper #chiropractor"
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... ad-of-ball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love our crazy matador
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I like him. Crazy man. Love his passion, I think it's genuine. Needs to dominate the box a bit more though.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Give him a 5 year contract, keep him until he's 36 and don't worry about that position for the next 5 years.

Fantastic keeper and passionate about us, love him.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Jumby wrote:The best in the league, after De Gea, I'll always stand by that.
Never in a million years. Seems a great bloke but he's a bottom half keeper at best. He makes a mistake or two almost every game
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

I don't get people criticising him for not dominating the box more, when De Gea sits on his line all game and puts tons of pressure on his defenders.
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

fmgod wrote:I don't get people criticising him for not dominating the box more, when De Gea sits on his line all game and puts tons of pressure on his defenders.
I thought he did as well as he could at coming for the ball last night, the traffic in front of him was very heavy at times, even unto Kouyate coming from the wrong side and heading the ball out of his grasp!!
He did very well, especially the low shots on a very wet slippery top.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

He had a blinder last night :thup:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Jumby wrote:The best in the league, after De Gea, I'll always stand by that. The best value for money signing the club has ever made.

I never got to see Phil Parkes, I was scarred by McKnight, although I felt sorry for him. Ludo was a hero to me but I've never seen a keeper as consistently brilliant for us as Adrian, and Robert Green, Shaka Hislop (first spell), and David James were very good in a Hammers goalie top. Special mention for Bernard Lama too, he was class.
Courtois? Ederson? Goalies are normally cheap purchases though aren't they? Whilst there is a vast disparity for some positions such as a striker, I think that the gulf in class between many keepers is relatively small. I preferred Green, Shaka and James but then I preferred watching us more then during that period than I do now. Didn't mind Forrest either.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Adrians long exile last season was inexplicable. He had a bit of a crazy spell at the start of the season and deserved to be dropped, but he should have been recalled much sooner. If he'd have been recalled sooner we might not have perceived a goalkeeping problem and wasted time and money signing Hart. I can't put my finger on what's wrong with Hart, he just makes me nervous
GPW
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by GPW »

[/quote]

Never in a million years. Seems a great bloke but he's a bottom half keeper at best. He makes a mistake or two almost every game[/quote]

I agree. He's a decent keeper who can make some great saves when on form. "Stop-stopper" rather than a dominant keeper though.

I have always thought decent keepers fall into one of 3 categories:

1. Reliable and consistent. They save the goals they should save but rarely save something they don't have a "right" to. I'd put Hart in this category.

2. Less predictable. Capable of making great saves they don't any right to but at the same time will let ones in (often from crosses) that you can't help feeling they might have done better on. I'd put Adrian in this category.

3. A few keepers who manage to combine the best of #1 and #2. These are rare. De Gea is probably the closest in the PL. Of the other "good" keepers I'd put Courtious in category 1 and Loris in 2 but it's often hard to judge keepers in teams when they are not under the cosh most weeks.

After last year I think it made sense to try and upgrade our keepers however Hart has turned out to be a different type of keeper but ultimately no better. To be truely better we need one in category 3 and that requires serious wedge, talent spotting or luck.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Jumby wrote:The best in the league, after De Gea, I'll always stand by that. The best value for money signing the club has ever made.
I love Adrian too but for me the second best goalie in the league this year is nutty Gomes. He's making phenomenal saves every game.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

ryanrc wrote:
I love Adrian too but for me the second best goalie in the league this year is nutty Gomes. He's making phenomenal saves every game.
Gomes has been outstanding this season .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

iLoveLasagne wrote: Courtois? Ederson? Goalies are normally cheap purchases though aren't they? Whilst there is a vast disparity for some positions such as a striker, I think that the gulf in class between many keepers is relatively small. I preferred Green, Shaka and James but then I preferred watching us more then during that period than I do now. Didn't mind Forrest either.
Adrian was free and on very reasonable, for football, wages, Ederson cost 35m.

Gomes has played very well for Watford but he's made quite a few mistakes too, they all do. Last night Son was referring to Lloris as the best keeper in the world, now I think he's decent but he makes loads of mistakes. We have to accept that in this day and age keepers will make errors, all of them do, Adrian will make them, De Gea will make them, Courtois will make them, when someone gets at Man City Ederson will make them. It's just the level and consistency of mistakes that separates them all.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

To me like the best defenders, goal keepers shouldn't be making fantastic saves or last ditch tackles, Gomes looks good as he often isn't where he shouldn't be to begin with footwork and positioning wise then has to recover and looks fantastic doing it
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

fmgod wrote:To me like the best defenders, goal keepers shouldn't be making fantastic saves or last ditch tackles, Gomes looks good as he often isn't where he shouldn't be to begin with footwork and positioning wise then has to recover and looks fantastic doing it
Very true, I think that often comes with age, as we're seeing with the Octopus. Adrian makes saves he, or nobody else, should make, that's what sets him apart from many for me, and he's one of the best in one on one's I've ever seen. For where we are as a club he's the best we could ever wish for.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

As well as Adrian's attributes as a keeper he makes the defence seem much more confident and comfortable on the ball.
So pleased we didn't sell him, he could just save our season.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Gomes has been outstanding this season .
We were piss poor against Watford but if it weren't for him we might have still gotten something from it. They're defensively suspect and he's kept them in games for sure.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Says he would be happy to end his career with us.
Just 31 with a season and a half to go on his contract.
Seems to be a model pro and a fans favorite.
Feel a pay rise and two years on top would be about due.
Fair enough?
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

Definitely one of the top 10 keepers in the league..
Without doubt.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Pob! wrote:Definitely one of the top 10 keepers in the league..
Without doubt.
That is quite a statement. Tell me, when you watch him, what is it you see?