Tottenham Hotspur 1-1 West Ham Utd (04/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham Utd match thread

Post by sanchoz »

DDHammer wrote:Guessing this is the white coat kid :D

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes that's him. Poor lad took a right coating.

I'll get my coat
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

"I feel like I could burst from rage. The wife came down at 0-0 and I gave a brief summary of the game and I, with my big mouth, said they haven't had a shot on goal yet, I shall be so angry if they belt in a worldie now. And... It helps to have someone alongside me to squeeze in frustration and sympathise with my utter helpless wrath."
- JerusalemMan

Oh how i love this :lol:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

we were barely a counter attacking side last night. was some of the most negative football i've ever seen west ham play up until obiang's moment of inspiration, the first shot we had on or off target.

i remember when we went and lost 4-2 to west brom last year, my sympathies were with their fans. despite scoring four times i couldn't imagine being asked to watch that week in week out.

you can't argue with the result in the circumstances, but i can't get my head around anyone who took issue with allardyce's methods whose world was set alight but last night. we've got a good habit of turning over tottenham without playing like a league 2 side who got a prem team in the cup.

as a holding action with a depleted side, it was outstanding. as a blueprint for the future it was mortifying.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Beavis Danzig wrote: as a holding action with a depleted side, it was outstanding. as a blueprint for the future it was mortifying.
If we play like that against Huddersfield I think we will all be appalled. It was a good option for playing that game with the available bodies.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

The problem we have is that the style of football played last night is the most successful one we have at present.
When we do any sort of pressing we expose ourselves to quick counter attacks. The natural thing to do against sides around us is to go a bit more gung ho. This then often backfires.
The real test for Moyes and all his coaches is how to stop teams in the bottom half consistently taking points from us.
We even struggled against WBA and they are a piss poor team.
These backs to the wall performances against the top boys just hide what the real issues are with this team.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

woodford wrote:"I feel like I could burst from rage. The wife came down at 0-0 and I gave a brief summary of the game and I, with my big mouth, said they haven't had a shot on goal yet, I shall be so angry if they belt in a worldie now. And... It helps to have someone alongside me to squeeze in frustration and sympathise with my utter helpless wrath."
- JerusalemMan
Shirley that's a ringer?
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

Just read through the Spurs reactions and, I have to say, it is shocking how many of our own supporters are saying the same things, I.E. we should be ashamed to play defensive football and should have attacked them and taken our beating like true sportsmen.

****ing daft. Look how much their squad costs compared to ours. Look at how well run they are compared to our dildo clowns. Absolute insanity to think we should go toe to toe in some sort of suicidal, bushido-driven honorable way.

Oh, and they are the most entitled fans in the world. Man United fans have ten times the class they do.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

hammernsickle wrote:Just read through the Spurs reactions and, I have to say, it is shocking how many of our own supporters are saying the same things, I.E. we should be ashamed to play defensive football and should have attacked them and taken our beating like true sportsmen.

****ing daft. Look how much their squad costs compared to ours. Look at how well run they are compared to our dildo clowns. Absolute insanity to think we should go toe to toe in some sort of suicidal, bushido-driven honorable way.

Oh, and they are the most entitled fans in the world. Man United fans have ten times the class they do.
tbf i think you will struggle to find a single poster who thinks we should have gone 'toe to toe' with them
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

From last night.

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

hammernsickle wrote:****ing daft. Look how much their squad costs compared to ours. Look at how well run they are compared to our dildo clowns. Absolute insanity to think we should go toe to toe in some sort of suicidal, bushido-driven honorable way.
no-one's saying play suicide football. we didn't do that last may but posed more threat than they did for the entire match - and that was with johnny calleri up front.

there's a big difference between being setup up to be incisive and clinical on the counter and what we saw for the vast majority of yesterday.

i'm not putting this at moyes' door either, he's here do to a job and he's doing it to a decent standard, but it's not what i want from my club every time we come up against a half decent opponent. even if that means the occasional shoeing.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

hammernsickle wrote: our dildo clowns. Absolute insanity to think we should go toe to toe in some sort of suicidal, bushido-driven honorable way.

Brilliant. :lol:
Boleyn Bill

Post by Boleyn Bill »

E7Iron wrote:Pretty certain Chelsea done exactly what we done last night against Barcelona at the Camp Nou a few years ago and came away with a result. Most people praised the 'resolute defensive display'

Wafer thin squad with players carrying knocks (Ogbonna and Reid only just made it and Carroll had a knock according to reports), off the back of an intense Christmas period including a relegation 6 pointer 48 hours prior. Playing against a team that has hit 5 past Stoke and Southampton and 3 past Burnley recently. The way we played yesterday was perfectly justified given the circumstances.
Are you talking about the CL semi final? If so then Chelsea went down to 10 men after only 37 minutes.... they still managed to have 7 shots and score 3 goals.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Beavis Danzig wrote: as a holding action with a depleted side, it was outstanding. as a blueprint for the future it was mortifying.

I didn't think that was much of a depleted side last night and it was close to full strength albeit with a lack of depth on the bench. To have Ayew, Carroll, Hart (injuries can happen to Keepers) as our subs with only 3 subs to call upon (7 subs is only a new concept), we were only about 1 player off (Arnautovic) from being at full strength including subs. And as such, we had more than enough within the squad to cause them more problems in attack without losing solidity in defence than just a wonder goal from long distance out of absolutely nothing. But you're dead right, as a blue print for the future it strikes me with fear and it's not just against the better teams either, as we've struggled badly against teams in and around us too.

It wasn't as if the squad was run ragged with exhaustion either as we had a long weeks rest prior to playing WBA at home which wasn't a fiercely fought game played at 100 mph. It wasnt fatigue or injury that meant we were unambitious but the way we were asked to play for the 2nd game running in 48 hours. Spurs also played 2 games within the past 48 hours first one away from home travelling to Wales and back, whereas we stayed comfortably in the Capital. We've had it easy over the Christmas period compared to some others.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Up the Junction wrote:From last night......
Any chance of turning that into an Avatar?

(I just may change mine after all these years).
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

nice photo UTJ :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Phil S wrote:nice photo UTJ :thup:
Indeed.

hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

RichieRiv wrote:
Fantastic idea!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

RichieRiv wrote:
If you're a Premium Member you can have it as an avatar already ;)
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

ryanrc wrote:Who's this bloke in a coat everybody's on about? .
He’s just a :thdn: Brian Harvey
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

For a split second, I thought that was Martin Peters in the silhouette.