Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4252 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by bubbles1966 »

Kouyate - picked by all of the last three managers. We should be'grateful'.

****ing grateful, no less.

Grateful? ****ing grateful?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:Kouyate - picked by all of the last three managers. We should be'grateful'.
All over the park .

I wouldn't be shocked to rock up at Shrewsbury tomorrow and see him playing in goal .

He must be good at something
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

He is, but, like several others, it appears these days to be a capability to force the ball over the line, occasionally, when its run loose after someone else has put it there.

File along with Hernandez and Ayew (although the latter seems now and again able to receive and recycle the ball).
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:All over the park .

I wouldn't be shocked to rock up at Shrewsbury tomorrow and see him playing in goal .

He must be good at something
Yet to be dropped - obviously, I'm being a bit facetious.

Still, we 'should be grateful'. Someone actually just posted that. Know our place - be grateful to the multi millionaire.

What a load of obsequious b*llocks. It's this kind of grovelling sycophancy that really irritates.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 302 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

If he was so average you figure we'd be able to win a game of football without him.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 351 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

the pink palermo wrote:
Sure, he's not getting any younger but frankly there are at least half a dozen positions in the starting XI that need an upgrade before him .
I disagree with that. As much as I love Noble, our CM is our weakest point. It neither creates enough, retains the ball enough and only just about, when playing with massive negative discipline, covers the back 4 properly.

I said months ago we will never win a game with Koyate/Obiang in the middle, and I can't have been far out. Noble does better than both of them, but we are still well short.

Imagine a front 3 of Lanzini, Arnie and Hernandez being supplied by say Sigurdsson and Kante, you think they wouldn't be scoring more?

We desperately need a RB, but a defense of Rice, Reid, Cresswell would still be decent enough if it wasn't constantly exposed but poor tracking, lack of effort (Koyate) and constant ball turnover.

We need a top quality CM, maybe 2, more than any other position.
ludo22
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 125 likes

Post by ludo22 »

RichieRiv wrote:The reality is West Ham are Mark Noble's level. People need to realise that there is no next level. It's a myth lapped up by the naive.

It doesn't matter how big the stadium is or who the owners are, success for West Ham is just above a mid table finish and 6th round in the cup once a decade. We will flirt with relegation on a more regular basis, buy some absolute lemons but on the upside we'll turn over a couple of the "big" side in a season.

As this is our lot, we should be grateful and celebrate players like Mark Noble.

Exactly.With a couple of "crazy West Ham moments"thrown in like Tevez's freekick against Spurs,PDC against Chelsea and Man Utd and,funnily enough,Obiang on Thursday.Not bothered if we win f*** all as long as we put the effort in and have a bit of a laugh.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:.

Still, we 'should be grateful'. Someone actually just posted that. Know our place - be grateful to the multi millionaire.

What a load of obsequious b*llocks. It's this kind of grovelling sycophancy that really irritates.
Well it's that posters opinion , and he or she can justify that if they desire .

I would point out though there is a world of difference between

"we should be grateful" and "we should be grateful to" and "we should be grateful for" . .I think we can all agree we have paid huge money to far worse players during his 13 years in the first team though .
Bend it like Repka wrote:
Imagine a front 3 of Lanzini, Arnie and Hernandez being supplied by say Sigurdsson and Kante, you think they wouldn't be scoring more?

We desperately need a RB, but a defense of Rice, Reid, Cresswell would still be decent enough if it wasn't constantly exposed but poor tracking, lack of effort (Koyate) and constant ball turnover.

We need a top quality CM, maybe 2, more than any other position.
I don't disagree with your conclusion , you've got the right answer, but I'm not sure you've shown your working out properly .

I've named a name on the transfer thread of who I think we should buy , and for the 2nd time in 7 seasons, in the same position been shouted down .

Seven years ago I said we should go all out and sign Nigel de Jong - dismissed out of hand by just about every poster on this website ( bar the editor) .Thus time I've been saying Thomas Partey - dismissed as ungettable by all and sundry .

But until someone of that sort of quality arrives, Noble is the best we have , our best all around midfielder .

I know many posters hate that but he hasn't been picked by 7 managers who have ignored better options to do so .

Oh, and I'd still upgrade half a dozen positions before that one .

Collins, Fonte, Zabaleta, Cresswell, Antonio,Hart, Sakho, Hernandez - I'd trade or replace all of them before next season .
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

bubbles1966 wrote:Know our place - be grateful to the multi millionaire.

What has wealth got to do with it? Go on I am really interested.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

hammerman11 wrote: ..... the fact we still need him shows you how poor our midfield is ...
I have more respect and love for Mark Noble than any other player we have but imho this seems true.

That's not a knock at Nobes by the way - it's not his fault that he's (ridiculously) still at least as good as any of the other options we have there, and far better than the likes of Kouyate. But that in itself doesn't mean that he remains as good player as some believe as sadly you don't have to be a very good player to hold down a place at this club. As that's unlikely to change in the foreseeable Mark will remain another one of our options.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

RichieRiv wrote:What has wealth got to do with it? Go on I am really interested.
The 'gratitude' should flow one way. Towards us . The wealth is dependent on football supporters.

It's straightforward.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I'm sure mark noble agrees with many of the 'deficiencies' pointed out by several posters. I don't think he's ever claimed to be a combination of Franz Beckanbaur, Lionel Messi and Nobby Stiles. What he is a steady all round link man. He's the one who pulls everything together. Where I feel he suffered was that under Bilic (this is NOT a dig at him) he was played just in front of the defence where he tended to go backwards and sideways too often. When he was brought back in by Moyes he played further forward AND played 90 mins, something everyone said he couldn't do any more. Every team needs their 'water carrier' as Cantona once described Didier Deschamps, he's a bit more than that, but you get what I mean. And liking a homegrown player is not sentimentality, it's about a connection between the club and fans. And he's a great penalty taker!
DrVenk
Has liked: 352 likes
Total likes: 464 likes

Post by DrVenk »

goa127 wrote:Where I feel he suffered was that under Bilic (this is NOT a dig at him) he was played just in front of the defence where he tended to go backwards and sideways too often. When he was brought back in by Moyes he played further forward AND played 90 mins, something everyone said he couldn't do any more. Every team needs their 'water carrier' as Cantona once described Didier Deschamps, he's a bit more than that, but you get what I mean.
Exactly. Have said it before - this Pirlo analogy doesn't help him. That's not the type of role he is best at. Those games when he was paired with Obiang (who was playing the deeper role) were his best games this season - someone who predominantly presses, tackles, and links the play.
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

His form earlier this season, IMO, was poor and I said so. He seemed to be carrying a weight on his shoulders and at times looked quite lost. However, to be fair, the last 5-6 games he appears to have got his mojo back and very good for us too. Perhaps its playing in a more structured and organised team formation and plan. I don't know but, whatever it is, long may it continue. What I have never disputed is his role a Captain, and without him there is no-one else in the team who comes close. It may be easier to replace the player, but not the 'man'. IMO, based on recent form, it is about who will play alongside Noble, not instead of.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 818 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

bubbles1966 wrote:The 'gratitude' should flow one way. Towards us . The wealth is dependent on football supporters.

It's straightforward.
You've completely misconstrued and misrepresented my usage of the term grateful, all based on your own prejudices and frankly a huge chip on your shoulder. I am very surprised if not a little disappointed, unless you've been of the Sherries early doors.

Being grateful, appreciative and thankful can lend itself to such things as a players loyalty, a players grit and determination, the effort a player puts in and on occasions their skill.

As I have mentioned more than once on this thread, I feel sorry for kids today who will idolise a player for a season or two before they f*** off somewhere else. They won't experience what it's like to idolise a Moore, Brooking or Bonds, even a Cottee, Martin, Gale, Parkes.

That's why I am grateful for Mark Noble, he's the last one. Nothing to do with how much money he gets paid or this ridiculous notion of being subservient.

If you ever the chance of meeting the man himself, you will find out that he is too both grateful or humble to play for his boyhood club. Living out what every single member of this site has dreamt off.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 351 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

the pink palermo wrote:Thus time I've been saying Thomas Partey - dismissed as ungettable by all and sundry .
I know nothing about him but can see what you are saying having checked him out. However as much as he fills the Kante role still leaves us short on creativity I think. As much as Partey/Noble would be much more solid, I can't see us creating much more
the pink palermo wrote:But until someone of that sort of quality arrives, Noble is the best we have , our best all around midfielder .
Agreed
the pink palermo wrote:Oh, and I'd still upgrade half a dozen positions before that one .

Collins, Fonte, Zabaleta, Cresswell, Antonio,Hart, Sakho, Hernandez - I'd trade or replace all of them before next season .
If the opportunities arrive I'd agree, certainly Sakho needs to go, however I'd still view two new CM's as more beneficial than changing any of the above.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

If you ever the chance of meeting the man himself, you will find out that he is too both grateful or humble to play for his boyhood club. Living out what every single member of this site has dreamt off.
I haven't suggested that he is ungrateful; it's your line that I disagree with.

"Gratitude" belongs to acts of civility, kindness and charity - not to people being paid tens of thousands of pounds per week to do a job. Commitment and endeavour should be a given.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6831 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Colours never run »

To all those that continue to question Noble most of the time, will always fail to acknowledge we rarely win a game without him playing. Why is that? It's unmistakable evidence that goes to prove his worth to the side. Or is it still regarded as just an uncanny coincidence that happens?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

If Noble scored a hat trick in the FA Cup Final they'd still say he should have lifted the Cup differently !!

Arthur gets a love coz of his one footed dribble, even though he lost the ball numerous times !!

Some you like and should you don't, Carroll is another.

One day we'll be next level and then moaning about the old days when we had local lads like Noble in the team and a draw v spurs was the best thing sinced sliced bread
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Colours never run wrote:To all those that continue to question Noble most of the time, will always fail to acknowledge we rarely win a game without him playing. Why is that? It's unmistakable evidence that goes to prove his worth to the side. Or is it still regarded as just an uncanny coincidence that happens?
In his first 8 games this season, we won 1 (we were drawing until he was subbed), drew 1, lost 6. We conceded 21 goals.

Who are you pinning that on? Noble (allegedly so influential the entire result is down to him) or Bilic ?