Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by sendô »

I "pulled out on" a biker a few months back who must have been doing near double the limit. He over took me, stopped front of me, and then had a right moan about people pulling out on bikes. I thought I was going to end up in a dust up when I laughed at him and told him he needed to slow down as the van I was in was likely to win every time.

I've never considered people not looking out for bikes to be a big issue, but bikes thinking the traffic laws don't apply to them being a bigger one.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

DL,

Your neighbour should have reversed IN to their driveway in the first place. Reversing out, into traffic of any speed or nature is extremely dangerous. I hear and see these incidents all the time and people never learn.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:DL,

Your neighbour should have reversed IN to their driveway in the first place. Reversing out, into traffic of any speed or nature is extremely dangerous. I hear and see these incidents all the time and people never learn.
And would it have made any difference had she stopped on the road and been reversing into the driveway when he came round at that speed?
delbert
Has liked: 720 likes
Total likes: 700 likes

Post by delbert »

Not always possible, and on a quite side road not necessary. Reversing slowly out onto a quite 30mph side road is only dangerous if other road users are being throbbers.........
westham,eggyandchips

hammerdivone wrote:
And would it have made any difference had she stopped on the road and been reversing into the driveway when he came round at that speed?
Who knows.

The biker isn’t completely blameless I might add.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Eggy, the biker if he was speeding is totally to blame.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 2710 likes

Post by sendô »

Utter rubbish.

I've lived on a main (30mph) road almost my whole life, and have regularly been reversing out for the past 17 years without having or causing an accident.

My missus once got taken to task for doing this by a copper, without any actual recourse, as unfortunately he did not fully understand the highway code which prohibits reversing from a side road onto a main road, but not reversing from a property onto a main road.

The reality is if you want to drive straight off of your drive then you need to reverse in - something which in my experience is more hazardous.
westham,eggyandchips

hammerdivone wrote:Eggy, the biker if he was speeding is totally to blame.
Really?

I’ve experienced several instances where someone has reversed off a drive and hit on coming vehicles that were not speeding. Had DLs neighbour driven off their drive forwards it’s highly unlikely that this accident would ever have happened regardless of speed. It didn’t help matters the bike was going too fast though.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

Diving to score a goal back post and in the process, cut all my knuckles open, my knee open, my toenail has fallen off, now walking with a limp, was it worth it, it seemed worth it at the time not so sure now,
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

hammerdivone wrote:Eggy, the biker if he was speeding is totally to blame.
westham,eggyandchips wrote:Really?

I’ve experienced several instances where someone has reversed off a drive and hit on coming vehicles that were not speeding. Had DLs neighbour driven off their drive forwards it’s highly unlikely that this accident would ever have happened regardless of speed. It didn’t help matters the bike was going too fast though.
Yes really. If the biker was speeding he was driving in a way that did not enable him to react appropriately to the road conditions, or to obstacles in the way. It is down to the biker to be aware he is approaching an acute bend and unaware of what is around it and therefore modify their speed to an appropriate legal level so that should there be an obstruction (vehicle or person) they would be able to stop in time or at least avoid it.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Eggy.

There is absolutely no way the biker would have stopped in time no matter what direction my neighbour came off the drive.

With the slight up hill and the blind bend, it was unavoidable. The only reason the accident happened was excessive speed from the bike.
FreeWheeling
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by FreeWheeling »

As an ex-biker, you know the risks if riding like a tw@t
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

FreeWheeling wrote:As an ex-biker, you know the risks if riding like a tw@t
^^^^ This 100%
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

And so it turns out the victim was a 20 year old lad on an unlicensed, uninsured bike. The same person that has been seen on multiple occasions by others in the area riding like an absolute idiot through the housing estates at excessive speed, pulling wheelies along the road and generally being a nuisance and a dick.
westham,eggyandchips

-DL- wrote:And so it turns out the victim was a 20 year old lad on an unlicensed, uninsured bike. The same person that has been seen on multiple occasions by others in the area riding like an absolute idiot through the housing estates at excessive speed, pulling wheelies along the road and generally being a nuisance and a dick.
That'll learn him.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Both my parents and my in laws live on relatively busy suburban roads. My parents road is also a bus route. Both have driveways. In all the time my parents have lived there, since 1981, no one has ever reversed into the drive, and nor have I ever seen any neighbours drive in. Everyone drives in and reverses out. Same at my in laws.

Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Got what he deserved then!

My wife's cousin is a paramedic and told me how they went to one accident involving a bike and the biker was in shorts and t-shirt, no leathers at all. They had to clean out the grit from his wounds with a toothbrush!

Got a friend too who used to ride and boost about how fast he had been going. Told him he'll have an accident one day then it happens and he has been told he can't go back on a bike again due to the knock he took on the head.

I got respect for bikers but if you ride like a dick then something will eventually happen.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:That'll learn him.
Would you feel the same degree of empathy if he'd hit a pedestrian whilst going twice the speed limit?

My cousin stuck his bike under a bus on the A40 when he was 19, driving it like an absolute idiot. Its the other people that you really feel sympathy for.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

-DL- wrote:And so it turns out the victim was a 20 year old lad on an unlicensed, uninsured bike. The same person that has been seen on multiple occasions by others in the area riding like an absolute idiot through the housing estates at excessive speed, pulling wheelies along the road and generally being a nuisance and a dick.
Had an issue around Hornchurch/Rainham with dickheads riding around on mopeds and the like pulling wheelies and essentially playing chicken with cars. Some have 2/3 people on. They've also been driving around nicking other bikes and just causing havoc. I don't get what the point is? I'm pretty sure I've got betters odds at surviving whilst sitting in my motor than they have when playing chicken with me. ****ers.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?
I do - I'd rather stick the hazards on and be in control of the situation while I'm parking as I can effectively stop the traffic behind me.

The alternative is to reverse out onto oncoming traffic at leaving-for-work time, when everyone is a hurry and nobody wants to stop.