Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:.................................

Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?

I do. Every time.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

So do I. When I last read the Highway Code (on parchment), I was sure it said something about not reversing into a road.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I do. Someone years ago gave me two excellent pieces of advice:

1) Always reverse park, every time. You're statistically more likely to be involved in an accident when you reverse out of a space.

2) All cars cost you money, so you might as well drive one you like.

Needless to say, I completely ignored him on point 2.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?
It depends on what mood I am in.

I live on a bend, so reversing into my drive can be as risky as reversing off of it.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

I always reverse into a driveway.

Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe.
Algarve Hammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Algarve Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?

Me, always.
It's much safer to reverse into a driveway which is a fairly sterile environment than to reverse out onto a public highway where you have no control over other people's often stupid behaviour.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

devonshire flu wrote:Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe.
Nonsense.

It depends on the road, the position of the driveway and visibility both ways.

I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have reversed off the driveway for the 20+ years I've lived here. I can see far enough both ways to make it safe for me to reverse out, assuming there is no 20 year old on a motorbike acting like a prick
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

hammerdivone wrote:
Nonsense.
Define nonsense?

hammerdivone wrote: It depends on the road, the position of the driveway and visibility both ways.

I live in a quiet cul-de-sac and have reversed off the driveway for the 20+ years I've lived here. I can see far enough both ways to make it safe for me to reverse out, assuming there is no 20 year old on a motorbike acting like a prick
......and there it is.

You can't call something nonsense then follow it up with "depends on this" and "depends on that"

The biker was at fault for speeding. But reversing out of a driveway into oncoming traffic is extremely dangerous and anyone doing it should reconsider their style of driving. In effect, its driving blind. Its difficult to see pedestrians and other vehicles, especially ones going faster than they should. Why take a chance?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

You made the statement "Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe."

That is nonsense.

You assume reversing means pulling out blind into oncoming traffic, that is also nonsense.

As I said in the example I gave, it is safe to do so as it is a quiet cul-de-sac with good vision either way. A different road with different visibility could make it dangerous to do so. It depends on the situation.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Does anyone anywhere reverse in to a driveway?
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: I do. Every time.
Me too, and her ladyship, every time,

Edit: we live on a relatively busy road and think it's much easier to pick your moment when you're reversing in.
Which brings me to an irritation, The bloke that lives 2 doors up always drives in and is always complaining if people park in the street that it's difficult to reverse out. makes a big deal of it . it gets right on 'em that, and while we're at it, that feckin Top Cashback advert
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

Where I live there's generally cars parked all the way down my side of the road. It makes no difference if I reverse out or drive out, the car or bike coming down the road will see either the back or front of my car coming out long before I see them coming along.........
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

"Extremely dangerous" I think is pushing it.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Agree 100%. Pushing it out would be bloody dangerous.
westham,eggyandchips

hammerdivone wrote:You made the statement "Reversing out onto a road - any road - just isn't as safe."
And I stick by that.

When you reverse out of a drive, regardless of what the road you live in, it is more dangerous because of your blind spots and inability to be able to see whats coming from left and right.

BTW, I haven't assumed anything. I've gone on the facts what DL has told us and what I've seen with my own eyes and experience.

Its all about risk. My view is, there is greater risk (as proved) by reversing from ANY driveway onto a road (busy or not) than there is driving out forwards.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Its all about risk. My view is, there is greater risk (as proved) by reversing from ANY driveway onto a road (busy or not) than there is driving out forwards.
It is all about risk.

You have to consider the whole picture. How safe is it to reverse onto the driveway in the first place? Is there a greater risk than driving on and reversing off. Without knowing exact details of each and every case you cannot say for certain either way.

If you have clear visibility for a long distance either way on a quiet road, then the risk is no greater either way.
westham,eggyandchips

hammerdivone wrote:
If you have clear visibility for a long distance either way on a quiet road, then the risk is no greater either way.
It is impossible to have the same levels of visibility going backwards than there is going forwards.

* I take your point on whether or not its possible to reverse onto a driveway though.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

My next door neighbour used to drive onto his driveway, and then do a three point turn on the pavement so that he could drive out onto the road. I lost count of the amount of times he nearly hit a pedestrian.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

It's not always possible to back on to the drive on the road where I live. Even I have to drive on at certain times of day when it gets busier if I'm coming from the side of the road opposite my house. To reverse on I would have to go the wrong side of the road in to oncoming traffic, or go a 3rd of a mile and circumnavigate the roundabout and back on from my side of the road.

The same obviously applies to my neighbour.
delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

The infestation of rectum heads who think it's cool or edgy to run around on CoD with "IRA" as a clan tag. Even on the older games you occasionally came across one or two of them, but there's loads on there now.
If they were that well educated or proper Irish Nationalists then they'd have a "P" in front of the "IRA" bit, or even go for the less well known INLA, because of that I suspect they're young Corbynites on a wind up,
In which case, they've succeeded, even more so because my ageing reactions mean they usually rinse me as well....... !!
RichieRiv

Post by RichieRiv »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:It is impossible to have the same levels of visibility going backwards than there is going forwards.
Doesn't that make it dangerous when actually reversing into the drive.