Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Denbighammer »

Spurs are building a magnificent new ground with a multi-million NFL deal on the horizon and we're puffing our chests out that the quality of the food we lay on for photographers is better than Chelsea and praying we get a different rug (!!!) to go round the edge of the pitch.

I can see why the other clubs look down their noses at us.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Ben wrote:Why don't they just pull up the rug and expose the claret running track? Job done and for free
Or do the retractable seats fully cover it?
Relocatable seating. Never retractable:

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... nex-a.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not the bleeding seating thing again !!!!

The issue is and was the roof .

The roof could only be built out so far due to engineering limits .

The seats have to be covered by the roof .

The distance the seats are from the edge of the pitch is determined by the roof , nothing else .

Retractable, relocatable , it doesn't and never did matter .
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I am not suggesting G&S would do it but couldn’t they have a lighter roof or perhaps a retractable roof they could solve that problem?

Whose decision was the roof? I.e. that one?

Seems like another balls up

Some very bad decisions been made from start to finish with this Stadium

At the start of the last Home match I shut my eyes when bubbles first started and for 20-30 seconds imagined I was back at the Boleyn :D
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

We can’t even scrape together £10m for a player. Amazes me that some still think these owners would do anything about the stadium. Pretty sure even if we were taken over by oil rich they’d just knock it down and start again. The bowl is just to shallow even putting seats closer to pitch would just be papering over cracks.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Denbighammer wrote:Spurs are building a magnificent new ground with a multi-million NFL deal on the horizon and we're puffing our chests out that the quality of the food we lay on for photographers is better than Chelsea and praying we get a different rug (!!!) to go round the edge of the pitch.

I can see why the other clubs look down their noses at us.
You really think that WHU fans will be jealous of Spurs' large NFL deal? Personally don't think this is ever something our fans would welcome if we owned our own ground.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

the pink palermo wrote:Not the bleeding seating thing again !!!!

The issue is and was the roof .

The roof could only be built out so far due to engineering limits .

The seats have to be covered by the roof .

The distance the seats are from the edge of the pitch is determined by the roof , nothing else .

Retractable, relocatable , it doesn't and never did matter .
If the seats HAVE to be covered why when we originally bid for the place was the roof design not going to cover the front 5 rows?
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

LincolnshireHammer wrote: You really think that WHU fans will be jealous of Spurs' large NFL deal? Personally don't think this is ever something our fans would welcome if we owned our own ground.
On their own NFL specific retractable pitch? Why would I care if it added to our transfer budget?

If it just added to the profit GSB make/take from the club the yes in that case NFL can f*** off. I doubt Levy is on the same level of asset stripping cuntery our owners are on though.
Kentammer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Kentammer »

the pink palermo wrote:The issue is and was the roof .
Obviously, you're correct. And I get it, but I can't help but feel like it's a stupid ****ing rule when the first 20 rows get wet when it rains.

I'm in row 11 in the BML, and I got soaked - quite literally, drenched through - against West Brom. I wonder if the PL would grant us an exception on this basis (ha!).
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Couldn't see this anywhere else, apologies if already covered elsewhere.

But does anybody know the latest on the Bobby Moore statue and whether it's ever being transferred over to Stratford, as initially proposed?

And if not, I really think the club should invest in brand new West Ham (not England) statues for the OS, for both Moore and Brooking outside their named stands. Would be a universally popular idea, and would massively help with making the place more like home. Really like the four statues they have on each corner at the Emirates (Henry, Bergkamp, Adams, Chapman).

We should do something similar (Moore holding the ECWC, Brooking celebration at Wembley 1980, Bonds lifting one of his two FA Cups, Lyall/Greenwood famous image of them walking across Wembley turf together). How about getting some sort of poll on here going, and if successful, a petition/request to the club? :crest:
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

HarlowEssexHammer wrote:Couldn't see this anywhere else, apologies if already covered elsewhere.

But does anybody know the latest on the Bobby Moore statue and whether it's ever being transferred over to Stratford, as initially proposed?:
No plans to move it from Wembley.
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:No plans to move it from Wembley.
The one at Upton Park sorry, not the Wembley one.
bengeo
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by bengeo »

sanchoz wrote: Relocatable seating. Never retractable:

http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... nex-a.ashx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Part of that document says:
"5.10 Use of Explosives
The use of explosives is not permitted."

Some might think that is the only way to deal with the seating layout ......
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

bengeo wrote:
Part of that document says:
"5.10 Use of Explosives
The use of explosives is not permitted."

Some might think that is the only way to deal with the seating layout ......
Tried that one before:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ns-8877005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Just out of pure curiosity how would people feel if a future ground but fit for purpose was built near M25 and A13 junction or nearby. No I'm not ITK.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

bonzosbeard wrote:Just out of pure curiosity how would people feel if a future ground but fit for purpose was built near M25 and A13 junction or nearby. No I'm not ITK.
Whatever the shortcomings of the Olympic stadium it's actually in the old borough of West Ham (pre-newham) and is close to transport links and pubs and restaurants. An out of town stadium is the last thing I'd want although others might think it's alright.
brooking10
Total likes: 1 like

Post by brooking10 »

I think getting there would be a nightmare, traffic is bad enough round there now without a football ground and not a lot of public transport available as well. It would also probably have to be in the middle of nowhere on an out of town retail park type site.

I think that this was also an option when Upton Park had to be converted to all seater, from memory we were asked if we wanted to either stay where we were or go to a new site somewhere else - Beckton rings a bell. The overwhelming result was to stay put, and that led to the Bond Scheme I think.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

brooking10 wrote:I think getting there would be a nightmare, traffic is bad enough round there now without a football ground and not a lot of public transport available as well. It would also probably have to be in the middle of nowhere on an out of town retail park type site.

I think that this was also an option when Upton Park had to be converted to all seater, from memory we were asked if we wanted to either stay where we were or go to a new site somewhere else - Beckton rings a bell. The overwhelming result was to stay put, and that led to the Bond Scheme I think.
It was wanstead flats from memory and the vote was against it

And from memory too as we entered the ground,east side, with our paper season tickets we were given a voting form and could hand it in or post it to the club
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

sicknote wrote:
It was wanstead flats from memory and the vote was against it

And from memory too as we entered the ground,east side, with our paper season tickets we were given a voting form and could hand it in or post it to the club
No,couldnt have been Wanstead flats, the site is owned by the City of London and is protected.
They talked about a plot of land over in Docklands somewhere, but cannot remember where.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I think the area they were considering was where the old East Ham Utd used to play. Now a housing estate, again there was trouble with Public transport, But in Hindsight it would have made a great stadium. Good transport infrastructure, and Airport close by,

The area has multiplied in value by gawd knows how much,