Transfer Window: January 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: January transfer window

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Ted Fenton wrote: But he has the power to say no to any transfer (as implied). If he says yes to someone he doesn't want then he is de facto culpable.
To use a poor analogy, if your car loses a wheel and the AA bloke turns up with a ropey spare (take it or leave it) then surely you take it so you can get where you're going?
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

If you are on a plane and it’s about to crash and you get offered a broken parachute or a boat that’s about to sink and offered a life jacket that won’t inflate... you are the new West Ham United manager.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

uptonparkhurst wrote:To use a poor analogy, if your car loses a wheel and the AA bloke turns up with a ropey spare (take it or leave it) then surely you take it so you can get where you're going?
No way! Driving on a ropey tyre is dangerous (not to say illegal). You call up the AA. complain and sit tight until a proper replacement turns up. Don't they say they respond in 30 minutes?
Remember, this started on the basis of Moyes having the final word. In the analogy refusing a substandard tyre is that final word.
Last edited by Ted Fenton on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Fenton

Post by Ted Fenton »

Georgee Paris wrote:If you are on a plane and it’s about to crash and you get offered a broken parachute or a boat that’s about to sink and offered a life jacket that won’t inflate... you are the new West Ham United manager.
My aged brain just cannot see this as a relevant analogy. Sorry.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Georgee Paris wrote:If you are on a plane and it’s about to crash and you get offered a broken parachute or a boat that’s about to sink and offered a life jacket that won’t inflate... you are the new West Ham United manager.
On the first reading I thought "Only at West Ham would there be a boat on a plane". :)
Needs another "on", Georgee.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Ted Fenton wrote: My aged brain just cannot see this as a relevant analogy. Sorry.
I’d offer you a glass of sherry but really it’s ribena
uptonparkhurst

Post by uptonparkhurst »

Ted Fenton wrote: No way! Driving on a ropey tyre is dangerous (not to say illegal). You call up the AA. complain and sit tight until a proper replacement turns up. Don't they say they respond in 30 minutes?
Remember, this started on the basis of Moyes having the final word. In the analogy refusing a substandard tyre is that final word.
I did say it was poor,Ted :)
I shouldn't have said the AA. Maybe Sid the dodgy mechanic you met down the pub who has a sideline
in cut-and-shut cars? Remember,this is take it or leave it.Sitting in the fast lane on 3 wheels is just as
dangerous as chugging along on 4.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Ted Fenton wrote:Every player has his price.
Except for Scott Parker
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Excuse me interrupting. Any transfer news?
Ted Fenton

Post by Ted Fenton »

clawhammer wrote:Excuse me interrupting. Any transfer news?
:lol:
BKHWHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by BKHWHU »

Have we signed Christian Louboutin yet?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

BKHWHU wrote:Have we signed Christian Louboutin yet?
Sky Sports understand we're a shoe in to sign him
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Ironmike suggesting Ndong on loan with option to buy

Also seems there might be something in the Mbemba link judging by his posts

Clearly targeting players with quality on the ball if true :P

Further links that seem aligned to the ‘we’re skint’ view
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

Nowt.
Rowly
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Rowly »

So have we fekkin signed anyone yet or what?
goof

Post by goof »

It's a disgrace & effects me personally what these guys are doing to us, just going to get 1 £25 million signing in the summer every season & then look to sell them the next season to fund it. How people defend them is beyond belief, yes this can be put in the other thread, but it's relevant to this one. How the f*** can we reduce the debt, have less outgoings in terms of the stadium, more TV money but end up spending the same.
Last edited by goof on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

[quote="goa127"]I read the post about Allardyce saying Sakho was hoisted upon him. I believe Allardyce wanted to sign Coonor Wickham instead of Sakho and said if we couldn't do a loan he didn't want him. Ina rare moment of sense the gnome ignored him and bought Sakho. You may disapprove of the owner buying a player over the manager's head as a principle, but you can't argue that in his first season Sakho was very good. Connor Wickham, apart from having been injured quite a bit has disappeared without trace.
Aside from this it all seems to have gone very quiet about the Russian striker who was linked earlier in the week. What interested me about him was the first news appeared to come from his club saying he wanted to join West Ham. Well that puts him in the minority, but sounds like his club are keen on the deal. I've no idea if he's any good at all, but he is captain of their national team and speaks English. Maybe the kremlin would like him to get some experience in the premier league before the world cup and are subsidising the move?
You know how they are desperate to improve their chances in June.

Sullivan messed Sakho's club Metz about if you remember though? Agreed a fee then pulled out of the deal. Maybe because he did decide to go for Wickham or someone else. Metz threatened to report us a then suddenly the deal happened.
As for the Russian as others have said, the player previously quoted saying 'West Ham are too defensive for me...'. Plus Tony Henry has reservations saying Billyanov at Everton was a rarity when it comes to Russian players settling over here m
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

We are not going to be spending any money in this window, we'll just get one or two in on loan, especially as we have players coming back from injury.
PortCityIron
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by PortCityIron »

For this windows Sully Special, I’m surprised we didn’t look at Ezequiel Barco from Independiente (Argentina). Would have made sense especially if Lanzini is trying to move out. 20 year old with the same short/choppy dribbling style as Messi. Only 20 years old so plenty of time to mature. Not as polished as The Jewel (ithankyou) but seems a box ticker as far as South American punts from the munchkin in chief go. Rumored to go to MLS for £13mil
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

PortCityIron wrote:For this windows Sully Special, I’m surprised we didn’t look at Ezequiel Barco from Independiente (Argentina). Would have made sense especially if Lanzini is trying to move out. 20 year old with the same short/choppy dribbling style as Messi. Only 20 years old so plenty of time to mature. Not as polished as The Jewel (ithankyou) but seems a box ticker as far as South American punts from the munchkin in chief go. Rumored to go to MLS for £13mil
He's actually 18. Not sure he's Europe ready yet, and that negotiation took almost a year, but also, he went to Atlanta who have an advantage over most of MLS in that lots of young South Americans want to go there to play for Tata Martino for a few years before a big Europe transfer.
Same way they got Almiron (who Arsenal and Milan both apparently bid for this winter and were told no) to turn down a move to Spain last year to sign there. Also they have a ton of money and drew 48,000 per match last season. They are a fascinating club.