Late David Gold, Sullivan and Brady

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: Gold and Sullivan ???

Post by hammer1975 »

Wonder where this lot would finish in a worst West Ham owners poll......

It would be akin to a survey to find the worst British ski jumper (all ****) but reckon they’d get a decent majority for dead last at present
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Interesting comments about Brown, I also met the smarmy **** a couple of times and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

And if you think he cared about anyone other than himself you're kidding yourself.

Obviously only my personal opinion from meeting him of course
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

hammerdivone wrote:Interesting comments about Brown, I also met the smarmy **** a couple of times and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

And if you think he cared about anyone other than himself you're kidding yourself.

That is more about your impression of me and you trying to get a rise

But well done for the try

No doubt you’ll try and have the last word and another pop
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Sorry if you took it that way sicknote, definitely wasn't a pop at you and I apologise if it came across that way.

I have met him as stated and that is my opinion of him.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Reading the last two pages reminds me that in the 50 years of supporting West Ham I've never had any belief that the people running the club were anything other than a, rank amateurs or b, conmen or c, both. I totally agree with the comment that Brown would have gone for the stadium move if it was around at the time. Controversially although flawed, I'm not totally unhappy at stratford. My main complaint is the view: I can see very clearly how poor the football is
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

hammerdivone wrote:Interesting comments about Brown, I also met the smarmy **** a couple of times and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Im pretty sure we'd still be playing our home games in E13 under him though.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

sicknote wrote:As much as Terrence Brown had his faults

No one could have foreseen the Icelandic bank crash at the time he sold the club

Met him a few times, as knowledgeable a West Ham fan as I’ve ever met, and had plenty of time, and genuinely tried to explain the clubs postion, had a few harsh words with him as well but he was always decent and even after would be a gent

A lots rightly laid at his door but a good man and I think genuinely cared but didn’t have the pockets deep enough and sold as soon as we could after the EGM made it almost imperative he had to for the future of the club

Unlike the chancers we have now, I’d have a drink now with Terrence,

I would not again the current lot , but begrudgingly have done , although he is teetotal , the current lot
Brown was going to the games before taking over and continued to go home and away, plus he'd do the reserves where we'd see him.

G&S where at Brum chasing the chance of a cheap new stadium, but jumped ship and 'saved' us because 1. The loved us or 2.There was another stadium

Now look where we are stuck in that monstrosity, thanks for saving us :scarfer:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The point is when they bought us, all they bought was a load of debt, small thanks to Guddy becoming skinted by the collapse of the Icelandic economy. I'm no apologist, but we are not an attractive proposition for anybody to buy whilst are they are still serving debt and they ain't gonna sell until they get their money back. However, when they finally do, I'm convinced that is when they will sell, whenever that will be, but you never know, they might pop it before they do
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

is there actually any plan to pay down the debt or just leave it generating interest payments?

surely we the options would be
a. pay down the debt and not spend much on players
b. dont pay the debt and spend lots on players
c. pay some of the debt and some on players

however it appears we have
d. charge interest on the debt, dont pay it down and dont spend on players
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I’m looking forward to the accounts for the next 2 years as I think we’ll see that they have paid off a large chunk of their debt. Is that a bad thing? Probably not, it sucks as we’re not seeing the level of investment we’d want in the playing squad, but ultimately a loan (whether to them as owners, or to a bank) needs to be repaid. Also everybody will then see that they haven’t put their own money in to take the club forward, just to refinance us.

If however the accounts come out and the debt is the same, then there’s a question of where has the money gone?
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

one way to pay down the debt or make investment would be to do a share issue and let the fans own some of the club
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

ToiletDuck wrote:is there actually any plan to pay down the debt or just leave it generating interest payments?

surely we the options would be
a. pay down the debt and not spend much on players
b. dont pay the debt and spend lots on players
c. pay some of the debt and some on players

however it appears we have
d. charge interest on the debt, dont pay it down and dont spend on players
This won't be very popular, but another option and quite frankly the quickest and most sensible would be to sell off the family silver, pay off the creditors with the proceeds and invest in youth. It might see us slide through a couple of divisions, but it might not
goa127

Post by goa127 »

I think you solution Puff is pretty much what Aston Villa have done. They even pulled of a great Sullivan-esque stunt in appointing the fans least favourite man as manager to sell off players, so that he would be blamed instead of the board. Their gamble about staying in the prem failed however so now they have until the parachute payments stop to try to get back. It's an option I suppose but not sure it's the best one.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

ToiletDuck wrote:one way to pay down the debt or make investment would be to do a share issue and let the fans own some of the club
Sounds like the bond scheme mk.2!
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

A test for these owners tonight and tomorrow to see if they are true to their word about away allocations

The programme tonight may well state allocations for possible fourth round fixtures at Wigan athletic or AFC Bournemouth

If it’s Wigan

We all know as we have filled the 9000 more than once that is the cup allocation at their place, and that is what should be our allocation, we took almost that many to Blackburn rovers in a similar part of the world so they should know by now it’s the cup and our lot go in big numbers to away cup games

Anyhow got to beat the shrews and Wigan need to beat Bournemouth but ....
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Coops wrote:They have made plenty of good decisions from a personal and business point of view. Unfortunately none of those decisions have been good for West Ham or us fans.
Correct. The worry is that they don't see that.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

Brown is a smart operator, and slippery with it, he managed to get himself into the chairman's seat at just the right time from an opportunity point of view. But as someone who has had plenty of contact with him over the years I can back Sicknote's point, he does care about West Ham.
jonnysissons
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by jonnysissons »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not very good at cutting and pasting stuff.

Anyone going?
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

jonnysissons wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not very good at cutting and pasting stuff.

Anyone going?
David Gold if someone reminds him about 2 hours beforehand.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

David Gold if someone reminds him about 2 hours beforehand.

Ouch!!! :lol: