Little things that irritate you

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Re: Little things that irritate you

Post by Beavis Danzig »

if someone could see to picking me up an early 80s silverbust les paul custom with a couple of SD pickups in it i'd be more than happy to buy you a rib roll (small or medum) next matchday.

recently had an early 90s rg550 done up and it feels as good as any JEM i've ever played.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

stuboy wrote:
Should have been reversing. :wink:
Along the A13?

Cock.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Oh lighten up.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

DasNutNock wrote:Nice tip, I shall do some digging :thup:

I have a couple of Epiphones .... a Cherry Dot and a Les Paul. Both have a great sound and again, a fraction of the price of a Gibson. Epiphone were in fact bought out by Gibson years back.

GCRO - cheers for the recommendations of Burny and Greco - I am looking out for a Fender Tele, or Mustang, so will see if I can try some of these out.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

-DL- wrote: I'd never pay full price for one, but a once in a lifetime chance of one for 40 quid (still having to pinch myself) like **** am I going to sell it.
Sorry I read your original post wrong, I thought you were telling her to sell it.

Long day. As you were.
Etonhammer
Location: Laid on the floor seeing 'Jesus saves' painted by an atheist nutter
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Etonhammer »

Owned a few Epiphones over the years and can't fault them, especially when you see some of the build quality of new Gibsons and the price comparison.

A friend of mine brought a Gibson LP Junior (I know ???) and a lot of the frets weren't set propoerly and the general overall quality was poor. When he complained, the official response from Gibson was that as it was a 'hand built' guitar he should expect some variation in build quality :thdn:
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

stuboy wrote: Should have been reversing.
westham,eggyandchips wrote:
Along the A13?

Cock.
:lol:
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Beavis Danzig wrote:recently had an early 90s rg550 done up and it feels as good as any JEM i've ever played.
I used to own an early 90s RG770 (Japanese made) and it was a nice guitar. It was my first (and last) full floating Floyd Rose equipped guitar. It was great for solos and the like but the palarva of the string changing just put me right off. The paint chipped really easily too which apparently was a flaw in all the RG series guitar. The sound was amazing from it as it contained DiMarzio pickups and if they'd have done a hard-tail version I'd have snapped one up. Sadly, I've not really bought any more Ibanez guitars and to be honest, I wasn't impressed with any of their basses.
Etonhammer wrote:Owned a few Epiphones over the years and can't fault them, especially when you see some of the build quality of new Gibsons and the price comparison.

A friend of mine brought a Gibson LP Junior (I know ???) and a lot of the frets weren't set propoerly and the general overall quality was poor. When he complained, the official response from Gibson was that as it was a 'hand built' guitar he should expect some variation in build quality :thdn:
Ephiphone Japan were produced in the lat3 80s and early 90s and some are still produced today. They are amazing quality guitars and the quality control is second to none. I'd put these over anything Gibson make nowadays. Gibson's quality control really is hit and miss, which, for a company charging what it does for it's instruments is disgusting. I've owned 2 Gibson SGs, a Gibson Faded Flying V and a Les Paul Studio. I'd never buy Gibson again. All were bought secondhand but contained flaws which came straight from the factory - poorly finished or non-functioning hardware, flaws in the finish and really poor fret work.
pablo jaye wrote:GCRO - cheers for the recommendations of Burny and Greco - I am looking out for a Fender Tele, or Mustang, so will see if I can try some of these out.
Beleive it or not, the Japanese copies by Burny and Greco (as well as Tokai) from the late 70s and 80s were also subject to a cease and desist order from Fender, until they saw the quality of what these companies were turning out and again, contracted them to become "Fender Japan" and produce guitars for the Asian markets. These were exactly the same woods and pickups as that were used on the copies which by now would have aged so it's well worth pickup one up off eBay. The Telecasters and Strats that were produced then really were something special.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i have an old Arirang stratocaster, korean made, late 70ies early 80ies.
can't find much on line and haven't played it for a while, but it had a pretty good sound.
a guitar maniac i know liked it as well.

any of you know that brand?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

ARIRANG
Instruments previously built in Korea during the early 1980s.
This trademark consists of entry level copies of American designs, and some original designs. Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Guru's Guitar Guide.
uptonparkhurst
Location: The World Wide Web - where men are men,women are men,and children are the Metropolitan Police
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by uptonparkhurst »

The "brand" name can be the name that the importer wants on the guitar.
A friend of mine used to be a repair man working out of Ivor Mairants many moons ago and he told me he'd see 2 guitars , same brand name and model that had come from 2 different factories.
Conversely one factory/maker can produce different brand names to order - I think this is the case with CORT guitars.
ARIRANG on Google gives results in German/dutch(?)/italian so maybe not directly imported here?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I believe Samick make guitars for some quite famous third party names including Squier, Washburn and Epiphone.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Finding out this is really the guitar thread.....
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 728 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I believe Samick make guitars for some quite famous third party names including Squier, Washburn and Epiphone.
Samick are pretty good manufacturers as it goes. They make Hondo II, Squier, some Epiphones, Schecter, Dean, Washburn, Jackson, BC rich, Charvel and Silvertone.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

hammerdivone wrote:Finding out this is really the guitar thread.....
not as exciting as damp patches, uh?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Nowhere near as exciting as your Mums warp
warp

Post by warp »

everybody knows that, even those not in the queue!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Wrapping presents, I'm crap at it! I use to get my PA to wrap them :D until I got rumbled, it means more if you do them yourself apparently.....

meh...

The presents look like a 5 year old has done them...
warp

Post by warp »

^ next time plaster the present with a bunch of post-its Image
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

warp wrote:^ next time plaster the present with a bunch of post-its Image
You part timer, kitchen foil all the way!