what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Post by Rocketron »

http://www.victoriapaddington.co.uk/food" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A small pub tucked away behind Lancaster Gate tube, has a good range of ales and lagers. lunch menu was good and the staff were very friendly and efficient.
8/10 (which would be even higher if they had a few more veggie options)
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote:I can honestly say, there was never a great punk band that came out of Liverpool.
Agreed.Still a great venue mind.The Clash,Damned,Vibrators,Blockheads
X-RS ,etc.

Edit, TBF, Those Naughty Lumps , did have a certain charm.....
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

It seems The Hammers in E6 is reopening as The Red Lion before too long. It looks all bistro style with sky high prices. No chance will it succeed.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

The Good Samaritan, Whitechapel, Stepney E1: Popped in to see a mate. Decent clean pub, clean bogs, decent Guinness and not to pricey at about £8 for a pint of cider and a pint of the black stuff. Sport was on the TV, but it wasn't intrusive and was just at the right level. Fairly empty - about 15 peeps - but there was a good vibe and it was a top night out. 7/10
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Nags Head, Covent Garden

Had a Lovely pint of McMullen IPA with my beef pie, creamy mash and fresh veg. I had a beer in here years ago but that was in the main bar downstairs, the dining area upstairs was very nice this time around.

9/10
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

btajim - mcfc wrote:It seems The Hammers in E6 is reopening as The Red Lion before too long. It looks all bistro style with sky high prices. No chance will it succeed.
Am not so sure myself Jim, this area has been crying out for new money for quite sometime.
A gastro style pub in East Ham eh?
Interesting.
His legs have gone
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by His legs have gone »

Fitzrovia Tavern on Charlotte Street became the place I'd meet up with friends when central last year. Probably my favourite pub, along with the Princess Louise. Love a Sam Smiths
WHU Independent

Bethnal Green Working Man's Club - Same pub, same cheap prices, same decent beer, same great bars staff - but by god, they've only gone and sorted out the dodgy bogs. Yup - gone is the bog that feels as if you are on a roller-coaster when taking a dump, and in is a nice bright whine bog that is rock solid when you sit on it.

The George Tavern, Bethnal Green Road. : I'm getting to like this pub more and more, despite it's shabby chic. The bar staff are very helpful and friendly - gave me loads of free beer samples - and the prices are affordable: £3.80 for the fantastic pint of Golden IPA I had and £4.00 for my mates Guinness.Open till 12 midnight weekdays, not overly loud music and place you can have a decent chat.
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

WHU Independent wrote:The Good Samaritan, Whitechapel, Stepney E1: Popped in to see a mate. Decent clean pub, clean bogs, decent Guinness and not to pricey at about £8 for a pint of cider and a pint of the black stuff. Sport was on the TV, but it wasn't intrusive and was just at the right level. Fairly empty - about 15 peeps - but there was a good vibe and it was a top night out. 7/10
Spent many a Friday night in Good Sam’s trying to pick up nurses from the London. Not a chance. Nada. Zilch. Never.
wandanairon

Post by wandanairon »

The "Glory" was my local years ago, a real old fashioned boozer, real name the Duke of Edinburgh.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Prince of Wales, Kennington

Quietly tucked away on Cleaver Square. Small but friendly Sheperd & Neame place. Decent pint of Whitstable. Solitary barman feeling under the weather so i’lol excuse the slow service despite the small numbers of clientele in the place.

A gem in terms of a quiet London pub where you can actually sit and have a conversation. If I had a couple of million floating about and lived in the area I’d happily make it my local.

Bonus point for having a chocolate Labrador who was chomping at the bit for a walk

7.5/10
mushy

Post by mushy »

The Chequers E17

Not a bad place to have a beer and some fish and chips on a Saturday night, food nicely cooked and beer nicely served with plenty of choice.
Was aware that the back bar had a screen on showing the Spurs V Everton game and passed by there on way to the toilet just as Spurs scored. I did raise an eyebrow at the polite but enthusiastic clapping (yes clapping) that accompanied the goal. To be fair, its not really a Spurs pub as such, just a load of bearded wonders pretending to be Spurs fans.
8/10 for this pub from me.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Friend at Hand, Bloomsbury WC1

Lovely little pub this. Couple of pints of Punk went down a treat. Very good/quick bar staff too.

8/10 :thup:
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Friend at Hand, Bloomsbury WC1

Lovely little pub this. Couple of pints of Punk went down a treat. Very good/quick bar staff too.

8/10 :thup:
Fish n chips aint bad either :)
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

The Kingsland, Kingsland High Street, Dalston.

Rough and ready boozer that's had it's day. Splatter of faux-Irish stuff on the walls, a group of old West Indian gents sipping half of Guinness in one corner, a few big screens playing horse racing and sticky mismatched carpets throughout.

Pint of Doombar was good, prices good and the staff friendly, the less said about the toilets the better.

Not a hipster in sight and no bistro menu or vegan burgers for sale. Didn't think pubs like this existed in inner London anymore. And by the look of the £1 million pound apartments for sale next door it won't be for long.

7.5/10
WHU Independent

G&Tea: The Marriott Hotel, Canary Wharf. Last night I met up with an old friend I hadn't seen for years and we decided to push the boat out and go to The Marriott bar.

We were sitting at the bar, I ordered our drinks and the barman said: "Why don't you go and sit down and I'll bring your drinks to you?" So we went and sat down in the comfy seat area, and it was all rather lovely. Very comfy settees, massive cushions, lovely warm atmosphere (physically and mentally) and ambient lighting.

The guy delivered our drinks and left the check on the table. I looked at it and it came to £14.50 for two small shorts and a mixer. After scrutinising it I found that there was a £4.00 service charge for delivering the drinks, the real cost of the round was £10.50. No wonder the Kunt wanted me to bring my drink to me. I was going to complain but the person with me didn't want any fuss, so we had one drink an left. I won't get caught like that again. 7/10 - great place but three points deduced for rip off barmen.

Top bogs though 10/10
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 91 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Junco Partner wrote:The Kingsland, Kingsland High Street, Dalston.

Rough and ready boozer that's had it's day. Splatter of faux-Irish stuff on the walls, a group of old West Indian gents sipping half of Guinness in one corner, a few big screens playing horse racing and sticky mismatched carpets throughout.

Pint of Doombar was good, prices good and the staff friendly, the less said about the toilets the better.

Not a hipster in sight and no bistro menu or vegan burgers for sale. Didn't think pubs like this existed in inner London anymore. And by the look of the £1 million pound apartments for sale next door it won't be for long.

7.5/10
I like that boozer.A bit rough round the edges,but in a good way.
mushy

Post by mushy »

Eleanor Arms, Old Ford Road, E3
Havent been for a while but visited again yesterday and it has lost none of its old school local charm.
A few nice pints of well kept and well served Whitstable Bay went down a real treat.
The have an old school disco on a Friday and Saturday that I have never been to, I must give it a whirl.
Also bumped into a bloke called Roger who I last had a beer with probably 30 odd years ago, that was an odd experience as well.
The locals there are VERY welcoming and as such thoroughly enjoyed this pub.
10/10

Need to pop down the road and try the Morpeth sometime.

PS how hard/easy is it to get to and from our magnificent stadium from this pub?
I may elect to have a beer in there post game soon.
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 552 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

About a 20 min walk Mush.

Straight up the top of the road, straight through the crossroads, across the footbridge and take a left at the little roundabout and past the Big Yellow storage warehouse, then a right onto the Greenway...but you'll see where you have to go by then.

Choice of heading up the greenway and to the stadium entrances that way or down the steps into that bit of Hackney Wick where Rib-Man and Hammers Supporters Club have their spots.

Make time for a quick refresher in Swan Wharf before crossing the canal and up to the entrances that way.
WHU Independent

Bethnal Green Working Man's Club, Bethnal Green E2.

Cheap (£3.00 a pint) quality beer, great staff, top atmosphere and reasonable bogs 9/10

Brewhouse and Kitchen, The Angel.

I walked in this bar at 5:00 PM this evening. This is how it went down:

Me: "HI - have you any vegan beer for sale please?"
Bartender: "Yes several." Names them, including Gamma Ray.
Me: "How much is a pint of Gamma Ray please?"
Bartender: "Err £6:15."
Me "Hahahahahaha - No. Goodbye."

Walks out of pub in disgust.

0/10

Heads to Bethnal Green Working Man's club. See above.