FAC4: Wigan Athletic 2-0 West Ham Utd (27/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Re: Wigan Athletic v West Ham Utd: FA Cup 4th rnd match thread

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

jacko wrote:Masuaku is a terrible player. How many assists does he have? He was a liabitlity at left back and now he's just a liability full stop. He runs past the odd man but he does nothing with the ball.
He does have a great first touch though.......its the second, third and forth that is terrible! :thdn:
Fishdo
Has liked: 105 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Fishdo »

I ain’t in no way of defending that spitting.... or the tackle etc but I think it’s those incidents and many others that underline the difference in refereeing between the PL and other leagues as I don’t think Arthur would have been wound up to such a point that he did something that he would never have thought he would do in a Pl game....

I don’t think a few of our players are really prepared for the chasm in refereeing add to that all our other issues we have at the club that would effect all of our players and all in different ways unfortunately Arthur’s was unforgivable in my opinion.... my point is purely about the difference in refereeing and it’s effect ....

Sort of like the average millennial college grad suddenly finding themselves in the reality of the workplace.... ;)
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

trevshead10may1980 wrote:The way most posters are talking here, you would think it was the first time we have lost to a lower division side, when the fact is it has happened so many times in the past, under different owners and managers. It just seems to be part of the West ham way, unfortunately. Some fans seem to have short memories.
Correct. We were notorious for losing to lower division teams indeed a laughing stock in the past even inbetween winning the competition. It's actually only in recent years that we have tended to have a far more robust record which has perhaps clouded some fan's memories.

I have sympathy for Puff's view actually (perhaps that makes me a non fan too) for our owners, for whatever the argument over the reasons or outlay, have left us in a parlous state in terms of the squad despite all the warning signs this past 18mths. Moyes has actually done an amazing job of papering over the extensive cracks but all it needed was an injury crisis to destroy that plan and what with losing our best performing player last time and now more today he is going to have to work near miracles to keep things going. And there won't be many offering sympathy if the bread and wine doesn't continue to flow so his position today was a no winner in my view through no fault of his own. Especially so as despite anemic recent transfer Windows effectively depleting the squad precariously our owners have so far done little to show that they even see the true depth of the hole we are still attempting to clamour out of. 4 days to rectify, to any degree their previous ineptitude of 18 + months. I am not confident they will do it based on past experience.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

No matter how lack lustre our performance was, Wigan went into the game with a game plan, to wind us up hard tackles and niggly fouls try and get us rattled. It worked perfectly, took us down a peg and we had no answer to their plan, It shows just how protected Premier league players are.
We had no answer to them and had little by way of quality to make a difference.
Graza

Post by Graza »

Sadly lacking in quality. Odd team selection 2 rb, 2 lb, 2cb, 2cm, 2 cf. Only one player in that starting 11 even vaguely likely to create a chance and he got sent off for spitting. Another injury as well.

The worst thing is we don't even have that many realistically going to be back for Tuesday.

The only worse result than this one would have been the injuries, suspension and a replay.

Incidentally I have no idea what was said before the Masuaku incident, there are very few things that justify it but there are a few. Let's wait and see before we condemn.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:No matter how lack lustre our performance was, Wigan went into the game with a game plan, to wind us up hard tackles and niggly fouls try and get us rattled. It worked perfectly, took us down a peg and we had no answer to their plan, It shows just how protected Premier league players are.
We had no answer to them and had little by way of quality to make a difference.
Yes from their point of view an excellent and predictable game plan. They probably have a better understanding of the fragility of our squad and our manager's desperation to not lose more, no doubt passed on to the players too (directly or otherwise) than ours owners do. I wish our plans came to fruition that well.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

What a disgrace
Hammer32

Post by Hammer32 »

The league position is for the owners, cup runs are for the fans.

We are being screwed over.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Barring an injury to Adrian, one would assume that today would be Harts last appearance for us.

Another good use of what appears to be limited transfer funds/wages.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

chigwells finest wrote:the real surprise here , is that any of us are really surprised , fact is most of us expected this
Its as if some on here thought we were on the verge of some amazing cup run. Bizarre. :?
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

somerset-hammer wrote:Barring an injury to Adrian, one would assume that today would be Harts last appearance for us.

Another good use of what appears to be limited transfer funds/wages.
I’d love someone with knowledge of these loans to total up how much we have wasted on loans since these 2 thievin robbin charlatans waltzed into our club.

As TTS said earlier - 16 windows under their reign. We have 2 good players. I’d probably stretch to 3 but that is an absolute shambles.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote:FYI.
Just noticed that our match highlights are on BT Sport 2 (if you have it), tonight at 22:15 - 22:30, if you can't wait for MOTD at 22:30.
Well that can now f*** right off...
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: I'm stooping to your level, if you prefer.
I think you've found your own level :wink:

I'm not sure why you keep ignoring me saying my opinion is based upon real time and it has nothing to do with the seriousness of the injury or who it was.

If a player follows through that high it's a foul, whether they win the ball or not.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

My level is lower than you can possibly imagine. You should know that already. Image

Don't think it is mate. Thought there was no serious intent in a follow through, just natural momentum and it was just unfortunate the way the legs got tangled.
You see a lot of these challenges without note or injury so I think there's validity in saying that.

But, either way, we can't get any real decision on this :thup:

Be interested to see what is made, if anything, of the incident in the coming days. Usually, such incidents that involved a heavy tackle and serious looking injury receive a hell of a lot of coverage, but I can't see that being the case.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Graza wrote:Odd team selection 2 rb, 2 lb, 2cb, 2cm, 2 cf. Only one player in that starting 11 even vaguely likely to create a chance and he got sent off for spitting.

Very good point that.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

]

Praps it's some of the younger posters, trevs.
I still haven't got over Newport in 1979!
As you say, it's really par for the course at West Ham. Nothing to see here, please move along...
Just as Newport take the lead against Spurs! Now THAT would be an upset![/quote]
Difference is, no matter how bad we were in some of those games at least we went out and tried and didn't throw the match. Which in my view is pretty much what we do in most cup ties now days.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Presumably everyone on the pitch,the manager,et al will be turning their mirrors towards the wall....
Like hell.They clearly have nothing but contempt for those that have put their wages, time and emotion into this club, they maybe able to play the game (maybe) but they know NOTHING of it.
Thousands of people spent large proportions of their income to watch that **** today, it's a huge part of their lives.
Clearly none of them have any concept of self-respect, if they had they'd have already paid back all the expenses of every travelling fan today.

My life's moments have been made up the birth of my kids, my parent's deaths, Elland Road 1980, Wembley 75, Schmeical's pathetic arm-waving which didn't work(!) etc.etc.
As far as this lots concerned, West Ham United??...it's just an earner.

I haven't mentioned the scum in charge. It's all been said.Hope I live long enough to see them gone...one way or another.
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

Just got home. I don’t know which aspect of today was the most disappointing.

The team was back to being a disorganised shambles after a few glimmers of hope recently. Often when a player had the ball he ended up losing it or giving it away simply because no other West Ham player was giving him any options.

Quite a few individually dire performances - but see above.

Masuaku. Enough said.

Our support was outsung by theirs most of the game, and they were at home.

Quite a bit of booing of our own players. Doesn’t matter how poorly they’ve performed, I just can’t do that.

Only the briefest of anti-board chants towards the end. If anybody deserves the booing, it’s them.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Well the dwarf should be happy with that lets hope for his sake we don't get relegated cos he will then know what hell is like :crest:

Ps Masuaku spitting at a fellow pro........get rid right now don't past go don't pay the dirty fecker.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Serious question. Is there anyone on here who thinks West Ham United went into that game with any intent of trying/wanting to win it ?