FAC4: Wigan Athletic 2-0 West Ham Utd (27/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Re: Wigan Athletic v West Ham Utd: FA Cup 4th rnd match thread

Post by westhamlinnet »

A disappointing day out. Don't get the chance to go many away games support brilliant. The owners and players do not deserve it. Positives ogbonna was good and at least had the good grace to come over to fans at end of game. I thought the new portugese player looking promising .

Young players disappointing.. Cullen started off ok but faded, Burke shaky all match ,Martinez needs a loan spell. Oxford better than against Shrewsbury has filled out physically I would like to see him playing at centre half his natural position.

Hernandez is a disgrace lacks bottle . I can forgive a lack of talent in a player I expect 100 per cent effort in my opinion he should be shipped out as he obviously doesn't want to be here and has lost his pace.

As for Masuuku did not see incident far side of pitch referee certainly didn't see it and appeared to send him off on word of opposition players. However if he spat as appears to have happened justice was served .

Injuries are going to leave us hurtling back to relegation zone. I feel sorry for Moyes as I genuinely believe that with him and his coaching team better days are ahead. However real progress will not be made until we have new owners Sullivan and Gold are strangling all the life and positivity out of the club. There relationship with the truth and lack of a clear strategy and refusal to commit financially leads to a situation where even if we escape the drop this season it will only be delaying the inevitable
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

Wrong thread
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Graza wrote:In fairness the gate for cup games meant something to the clubs bottom line in Browns day
Sorry but that doesn't work for me. Cut it any way you want but we nearly won the cup eleven years ago in the best final this millennium. We don't even give the things a go under this lot, and lets face it we never, ever will, because we will never, ever be safe before this competition starts and safe is all that matters. We used to be renowned for the cups - we are nothing now.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Cut it any way you want but we nearly won the cup eleven years ago in the best final this millennium. We don't even give the things a go under this lot, and lets face it we never, ever will, because we will never, ever be safe before this competition starts and safe is all that matters. We used to be renowned for the cups - we are nothing now.

Hear, hear.
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Bad day at the office.
Big February coming up. The most important players at the club are now.........the physios and doctors.......we desperately need to send injured players abroad for treatment, if necessary to speed up their recovery. G and S would love that....It is way cheaper than buying new players........
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

It is really sad, but I resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never see us win a major trophy after that penalty shoot out, and a litre of whisky!

Never has a club had a more fitting song though, I don't like to even dream anymore now though, Nightmare on Champions Place is what this is all becoming :lol:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

daveo wrote:
To be fair against Shrews at home Lanzini played 120 mins and Arny came on late on to try to win the game so I disagree in regard to that game.

Bilic didn’t have a relegation battle in either of his 2 full seasons so didn’t have to prioritise as Moyes has had to do.

Prioritising the Prem for a team in the bottom half is sadly a symptom of the modern game, its far from exclusive to WH

I'd argue how about starting 1 of, if not both Arnautovic and Noble from the off to try and kill the game off early so it doesn't get to unwanted extra time and rest them in the 2nd half. It was Shrewsbury who had the first best chance of winning the game in the 2nd half as they were also unlucky not to win the first the outright as we offered nothing.

Bilic also had a relegation battle in his 2nd full season which he eventually pulled away from, yet he still tried his best in the League Cup during our worst spell leading up to Christmas.

If priotising the League (in mid table at time of playing), over trying to win a Cup then it really has got to the stage of packing it all in as the enjoyment of the game would have just about evaporated if this is what it's coming too.
Graza

Post by Graza »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sorry but that doesn't work for me. Cut it any way you want but we nearly won the cup eleven years ago in the best final this millennium. We don't even give the things a go under this lot, and lets face it we never, ever will, because we will never, ever be safe before this competition starts and safe is all that matters. We used to be renowned for the cups - we are nothing now.
I appreciate that the intended tone probably didn't come through. I was suggesting that the only reason Brown wasn't on a par with our current owners was only because the cup games generated what was meaningful revenue. If he was in charge now the current levels of contempt would be in play if not more.

It hacks me off that the only meaningful thing this club could do never gets off the ground because the aim of being fourth worst or better in the league is more important. Moyes stating that Wigan fans would have rather stayed in the prem that won the cup is well wide of the mark for me.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Graza wrote:Moyes stating that Wigan fans would have rather stayed in the prem that won the cup is well wide of the mark for me.
If Moyes did say that Graza, he was wrong. As someone else said earlier in this thread, Wigan Athletic have only been a football league team since 1978 when they replaced poor old Southport. For most of their league history, they have not been a top flight team.
You can understand it perfectly well if their fans value their FA Cup final win in 2013 greater than being a run- of-the-mill team for a few years, in the PL.
Drum_Monkey

Post by Drum_Monkey »

I fear we may now be that run-of-the-mill team in the Premier League, having bobbed around for near enough it's entirety. But that's fine. I've supported West Ham for around 30 years and I was never promised League titles, just drama and 'proper football'.

We build our hopes on a burst of brilliance and on a player showing the sort of pride you'd see in a Boleyn patron five deep in beers. We didn't see that today (yesterday).

It's important we stay in the league to stay some vague semblance to the club and ethos we support. I hate Wigan, I really do, but we'll push on. I don't believe Moyes and his coaching team are just totally fine with this. I don't think he wants the attention or the over-analysis that goes with getting knocked out by Wigan, he'll rather stay under the radar and keep us out of trouble for the sake of his career - and his backroom staff. For that reason I expect/hope we'll react to this result against Palace.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1207 likes

Post by Tenbury »

[quote="Drum_Monkey"]I've supported West Ham for around 30 years

It's important we stay in the league to stay some vague semblance to the club and ethos we support. .[,/quote]

Christ I must be getting old,as I'd expect that from someone who been following West Ham United for about 3years.[ actually that's not true, my 11year old wouldn't dream of saying it].
The "ethos we support" (whatever that means) is about thousands travelling to the northern wastelands to watch the dross churned out at shitholes such as Wigan and Shrewsbury,because we remember the buzz you get from winning things,this may surprise you,but it's quite a lot more satisfying than watching my club for 5minutes at the end of MOTD every week.

In all honesty, if that really is your view, fair enough, I guess you're fairly happy with the current state, this set up is made for you, I'm the fool.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

A thoroughly pleasant day until the game of association football started.

It’s not the fact we lost, I expected it, after all isn’t that what West Ham fans do, but it’s the manner in which we lost that angers me.

No doubt the most salient points of discontent have been aired already, as I’m somewhat late to the party, but the lack of effort and endeavour are most striking.

We were never up for the fight, committed footballing suicide and never realistically looked even the slightest bit concerned about the inevitability of the defeat.

Some of our players should hang their heads in shame, some should hang up their boots for good. Our owners should just hang themselves
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

DustyHammer wrote:Just got back. For my sins I was in amongst the Wigan fans.

Atmosphere a lot better there than I'd expected actually. Pretty much the only positive.

Ogbonna was good, Martinez and Hernandez were both quite poor. Everyone else, meh.

I was pretty impressed with Oxford as well. He's quick, strong, put in a couple of monster tackles and was marshalling Byram/ Cullen when they were out of position. He made one or two great runs upfield that were completely missed by our midfield. Wasn't an amazing performance but it certainly showed promise.

Selling him would be a big mistake.
:thup:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Doc H Ball wrote:So that's West Brom down and us safe then.
West Brom are doomed the cup momentum doesn't travel !

Palace are quaking in their boots,
Graza

Post by Graza »

Samba wrote: You can understand it perfectly well if their fans value their FA Cup final win in 2013 greater than being a run- of-the-mill team for a few years, in the PL.
I can, but he can't. Full quote
"Moyes said: “If you went back and asked the Wigan people what they’d rather be, they’d have said [they would] rather not win the FA Cup but stay in the Premier League.”
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/davi ... -cf73m69vc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which shows you exactly how much he wanted to win that tie.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

This is the problem. God knows we've had enough inept West Ham managers, and seen enough shambolic performances in the past. But this disturbing new attitude (last 4 years or so) that the cups simply don't matter is beginning to really grate with me. What other chance of any semblance of glory are a club like West Ham ever likely to experience ? Whilst I always say 'never say never', it is very difficult to see West Ham winning the league any time soon.
And if we do ever have a very good season (by our standards) and finish say 6th/7th and qualify for the Europa league are we simply not going to try with that again ?
I really can't get my head around it all. :eh:
thewhirlwind
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by thewhirlwind »

Tbh fans need to stop going to these games en masse then maybe the powers that be might try to do something about it
Money has ruined the game but whilst fans are happy to be mugged off it ain't changing any time soon!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I said before this game we would get beat and we did. Lots of injuries were partially to blame but the tactics are so negative week in week out even Wigan and Shrewsbury are dominating us.

I’m still not over getting beat by Arsenal in the League Cup QF and going out without putting up a fight. That was our best chance of Wembley this year. Oh well maybe next year...
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

Can someone tell me why VAR was not used for that penalty.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Rasp wrote:Can someone tell me why VAR was not used for that penalty.
Live TV games only?