Boxing thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Re: Boxing thread

Post by Jumby »

I like Martin Murray but I don't think he deserves a shot at the WBO Middleweight belt, Saunders will absolutely school him. Murray should have stayed in the Super Middleweight division.
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Jumby wrote:And shed at least another 50 lbs
That too! :lol:
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

At the moment I think Tyson Fury is living in a fantasy world, I hope he can come back, but I have serious doubts. He looks weak and sluggish in these videos he keeps posting and he has to get real and lose a lot of weight and condition himself, I just don't know if he has it in him. He's done too much talking to not return now but realistically I can't see him beating Joshua in 2018.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes

Post by jacko »

Jumby wrote:Joshua v Parker is hardly an exciting one, the KO's dried up for the flabby Kiwi the second he got in the ring with anyone decent, and he's not a great boxer. I'm just interested to see his jaw tested.

There is part of me that wants to see Lucas Browne beat Whyte, I kind of feel sorry for the Aussie.
There's noone decent for Joshua to fight apart from Fury or Wilder. Fury is out of shape and AJ ducks Wilder. It's dull.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Spence was all over Peterson last night. Impressive.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

The bug eyed boy really is something special, Thurman knows it too.

On the subject of Wilder, I don't think AJ is dodging him, and I think we'll see that fight in the summer, should he beat Parker and Wilder beat Ortiz.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Errol Spence looked absolutely quality at the weekend. He's going to be tough to beat. Would love to see Spence v Crawford.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Crawford needs to put on just a little more muscle before taking on Spence, if you ask me anyway. It would definitely be a great fight, two of the best in the game right now. I'd love to see Davis vs Lomachenko too but that little poser will avoid that at all costs.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

Thurman v Spence
Mikey Garcia v Crawford

Two fights I would rather see
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

'Sometimes' will dodge Spence, he's already said he won't fight Spence in 2018, the bloke is as inactive as he could possibly be.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

Lomachenko would destroy Gervonta Davis at the moment.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

And that's why it would be so good, much like it was to see Garcia make Broner look stupid.

I actually think Davis is a very good boxer, but he's just an idiot so seeing Lomachenko making a fool of him would be fantastic.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Usyk just about edged it, what a beast he is!
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Amil Khan to fight Phil Lo Greco at the Echo Arena in Liverpool on 21 April. Should be a routine win for Khan.
Last edited by York Ham(mer) on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

I'll be we watching Frampton vs Donaire that night

Khan's next fight will be the interesting one, to see what he still has left. 2 years out, and after being KO'd by a huge middleweight, an 'easy' touch is what he needs
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

Khan on points, he'll use this one to sharpen himself up. Not a terrible opponent but Lo Greco has got to drop down to a weight that Khan will make easily.

I see the glass jaw mentioned again in various parts of the media, but it really isn't anything like what many journalists say, for starters you can't count the Alvarez one because there was probably a 20 pound difference in the ring. That leaves two knock outs, one from being a naive kid (Prescott), and the other from being just too brave for his own good (Garcia). He boxed very well against Garcia and Alvarez too, he's got immense talent and devastating hand speed, he just needs to learn when to go for it and when to back off, but then that's what makes him exciting to watch.
York Ham(mer)

Post by York Ham(mer) »

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin rematch is on! Saturday, 5 May, venue to be announced.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

The biggest announcement will be if they are able to find 3 competent judges to score the fight
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Jumby wrote:Khan on points, he'll use this one to sharpen himself up. Not a terrible opponent but Lo Greco has got to drop down to a weight that Khan will make easily.

I see the glass jaw mentioned again in various parts of the media, but it really isn't anything like what many journalists say, for starters you can't count the Alvarez one because there was probably a 20 pound difference in the ring. That leaves two knock outs, one from being a naive kid (Prescott), and the other from being just too brave for his own good (Garcia). He boxed very well against Garcia and Alvarez too, he's got immense talent and devastating hand speed, he just needs to learn when to go for it and when to back off, but then that's what makes him exciting to watch.
I kind of agree but I also think that if he was going to learn when to go for it and when to back off he'd have done that by now. Will spend the latter part of his career either fighting guys like Lo Greco or being banged out by World Champions.

Doesn't have a glass jaw I agree but isn't exactly what I'd call durable.
Jumby

Post by Jumby »

True WG, I've just always defended him in the past, mainly because my old t**t of a manager always dismissed Khan as rubbish when I would say I liked watching him.

I wish I could be excited about the GGG v Canelo rematch but the last one, and the absolutely ridiculous scoring, and the s**t that Alvarez spouted afterwards, makes me half tempted not to even bother watching it.

I'm really excited for Lee Selby v Josh Warrington, finally he gets the chance to shut him up. Selby won't knock him out but that will make it all the better to watch, 12 rounds of schooling awaits.