West Ham Utd 1-1 Crystal Palace (30/01/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Like many I went last night fearing the worst and would have taken a draw beforehand. I came away pleasantly surprised and felt we really could have edged it in the end, but will take the point nevertheless. There were some solid performances last night and not too much to gripe about, all things considered. The main gripe being their goal was far too easy for them and as soon as they broke down the right it just felt like a goal was inevitable and so it transpired. However we didn't get rattled and martialled by Noble in the middle, we got the equaliser we deserved. Having Noble as our penalty taker is a massive positive - just like Tonka in the 80's, I always expect him to score and he didn't let us down. In fact he didn't let us down at all last night and for me is the front runner for HOTY. As good as Nobes was, he was edged ever so slightly for MOTM by Kouyate who got a well deserved standing ovation when he was subbed towards the end - it was one of those rare occasions when the sponsors got it right for MOTM. Byram, Rice and Zabaleta all had strong games and the new signing Mario looks like he has the potential to be a real star. I had no idea about Antonio being dropped for disciplinary reasons until I got home last night. Moyes was right to drop him and I have to say, I am warming to him. I enjoyed it last night despite my fears beforehand. Roll on Watford
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

The continued progression of Rice is turning into one of the highlights of the season. I still think Bilic was right and he ends up as a holding midfielder. Might save ourselves a few bob doing that too.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

wasserburg_hammer wrote:Just watched their goal again and can't fault young Declan at all. Instead it came gift wrapped in an Italian flag with Oggy prancing around in no man's land, leaving Ginger Pele to deal with an impossible situation.
Looking further back, it came from our goal kick!
Kouyate won/challenged for a header on the half way line, Palace were first to the second ball and the pass to Townsend cuts out Noble, Zabaleta and Cresswell.
Rice could have push Townsend further wide or blocked the cross and between Ogbonna and Collins there is no way Lukaku should have had as much space as he did.

It also has to be noted that it was a great ball to Townsend, a good run and cross from him, plus a good header from Benteke after excellently checking his run.

*edit... brain not in gear!
Last edited by sutts07 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken Run Supreme

Lukaku?????
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

That Lukaku bloke is simply everywhere, isn't he. Should be all over that!
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

hes not as good as masuaku
Chicken Run Supreme

sutts07 wrote:Looking further back, it came from our goal kick!
Indeed it did. One of umpteen occasions when we conceded possession with Adrian being reluctant to release the ball early to build from the back - something Hennessy did all night for Palace - Adrian preferring to hold on to the ball and kick up-field invariably surrendering the ball. A minor gripe.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018 ... tal-palace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having watched the highlights for the first time, you really have to give credit to Kouyate, Mario and Hernandez, the heart of everything.

That header from Hernandez in the second half, his movement was fantastic. The cross was even a little bit behind him.
psychoscoredthelot

the nigels are moaning about the penalty - accusing hernandez of diving
wasserburg_hammer

psychoscoredthelot wrote:the nigels are moaning about the penalty - accusing hernandez of diving
Poor show.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:The geezer has averaged 1 goal in 2 league games in the last 2 and half seasons (including a shaky start at us) and has scored over 40 Premier League goals, all from inside the box and you're piping up with 3 examples of chances missed?

Course he isn't a ****ing myth. Jesus wept.
Hernandez showed more movement in the box for the headed chance than any of our other strikers for about five years. Yes, he should have buried it, but that is the way it goes sometimes

And it is very unlikely Carroll would have scored last minute against West Brom if Hernandez hadn't occupied three defenders with his movement in the box

Against Arsenal, we didn't create a single chance, then Hernandez comes on and immediately his movement means he is available for a pass. That was not an easy chance, and none of our other strikers would have got anywhere near with a one-touch finish
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

While we are coating off the Nigels, Lewington can have some. When Sako got crocked and was eventually off the field he wasn't going back on, Lewington had a whisper in his ear and told him to go back on and immediately go down. Lewington and Hodgeson found this cheating and time wasting highly amusing.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Lukaku?????
Edited, you were too quick! Brain not in gear today!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

HammerMan2004 wrote:http://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2018 ... tal-palace" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having watched the highlights for the first time, you really have to give credit to Kouyate, Mario and Hernandez, the heart of everything.

That header from Hernandez in the second half, his movement was fantastic. The cross was even a little bit behind him.
Cheers for that; saves me waiting up for MOTD tonight :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:the nigels are moaning about the penalty - accusing hernandez of diving
He made the most of a harum scarum challenge, as we'd all expect him too.

The irony is that The Nigels are irritated by it. It's how Zaha plays too, after all.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Estuary wrote:While we are coating off the Nigels, Lewington can have some. When Sako got crocked and was eventually off the field he wasn't going back on, Lewington had a whisper in his ear and told him to go back on and immediately go down. Lewington and Hodgeson found this cheating and time wasting highly amusing.

Tony 'one of our own' Gale seemed to think it was absolutely the right thing to do and that every team does that.

For the rest of the game he had his lips permanently welded to Wilfred Zaha's buttocks
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:hes not as good as masuaku
The Mancs Fans actually sing that ...its true
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

It was a bit divey.
psychoscoredthelot

yeah it was

i didnt see it at the game last night - view was blocked

just watched the highlights and it looks like he made the most of it
wasserburg_hammer

Its called the Chicharito shuffle. He does it every time he gets touched. Still a pen though.

Just imagine him in Westfield :lol: