The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Re: The official KUMB Rugby Union Thread

Post by dave_l »

Superb from Sexton at the end of the France v Ireland game. The Irish just marginally more clinical overall.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

The Welsh....unimpressive, will have to do far better to even compete with Ireland or England.
The French,... Look defensively well organised.
The Irish.....Very professional.
The Scots.....yeah ,forget ball carrying,so last year..tag rugby is the way to go.....nonsense.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Slacking student wrote:Providing the Welsh don't win I'm happy when it comes to rugby. Awful awful supporters

:clap:
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

TOMOS - slacking and I experienced some pretty unforgivable abuse whilst living in wales.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Easy money made today. England at a 22 point handicap was even money
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

If, at their different levels,both England and Italy ( my kids have dual nationality ) can replicate that sort of form throughout the 6 nations, they've both made serious progress. A really good game.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Italy need to stop giving away pens. Would have been a lot closer if they hadn’t.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

DasNutNock wrote:TOMOS - slacking and I experienced some pretty unforgivable abuse whilst living in wales.

Yes , I did read about that , mate - but was it a one-off or did it happen on a regular basis - were they real Rugby Supporters or just a bunch of thugs ? I'm guessing they were a bunch of thugs .

There are some pretty nasty followers of West Ham but the ones I've met have been without exaggeration some of the best people I have ever hung out with .

Don't you think you were both just unlucky ?
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

Think you get all sorts TOMOS. Generally my experience with pretty much all West Ham supporters and rugby supporters is good. However, it has to be said that my worst experiences on the road at 6 nations grounds are consistently in Cardiff. A sense of hostility and just mindless anti-English nonsense that jI've just never experienced in Dublin, Paris, Rome or even Edinburgh these days.

In terms of England. Jones will know what he wants to work on and would expect him to do so for next week. I'd expect Joseph to start 13 next weekend probably but was interesting to see how Teo got on. Simmonds looks to be a great option in the back row.

As for scrum half, my heart says bring Robson in. Frightens the life out of people, however head says he'll bring Wigglesworth in as an experienced head that'll just slot straight into the game and offer a point of difference from playmaker Care.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Yes , I did read about that , mate - but was it a one-off or did it happen on a regular basis - were they real Rugby Supporters or just a bunch of thugs ? I'm guessing they were a bunch of thugs .

There are some pretty nasty followers of West Ham but the ones I've met have been without exaggeration some of the best people I have ever hung out with .

Don't you think you were both just unlucky ?
Happened a lot - I was there in the mid 90s. Not sure if there was unusually strong anti-English sentiment among the population at the time, but things went well past humorous nationalist banter on more occasions than I can remember.

As for who was responsible for the worst of it, I doubt they were legitimate rugby fans, though it tended to coincide with rugby matches (understandable, I guess). But there were plenty of other people who took things well beyond mere jokes. I could never quite understand the level of vitriol coming my way - I'm sure "the English" were responsible for plenty of historic awfulness, but that weren't my fault, and it certainly wasn't me doing it.

I've tried to let it all go in recent years, and although I consider wins against Wales as important as those against Australia & South Africa, I no longer feel quite the same annoyance when England lose to them.

I dare say it might be different now - perhaps I really was just there at a bad time (the Major administration, John Redwood Minister for Wales etc). I've only been back to Cardiff once since the 90s, for the Cup Final, which is a shame.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Anyway, as for the weekend:

- Scotland let Wales play well
- Ireland got fairly lucky and France would have been worthy winners had Sexton's DG missed
- Italy actually had some very nice passages of play, England's defence was iffy
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

DasNutNock wrote:Anyway, as for the weekend:

- Scotland let Wales play well
- Ireland got fairly lucky and France would have been worthy winners had Sexton's DG missed
- Italy actually had some very nice passages of play, England's defence was iffy
I'm no fan, but I thought Wales were brilliant. Saying that,Scotland have no pack to compete at the top level. With that front row, it's club level at best.

Luck of the Irish yes, but good teams win games like that. Touches of class from Sexton in that last passage, particularly the cross-field kick which gave them a 20m gain, taking them in to drop goal territory.

Thought Ben Te'o didn't have much joy defending the 13 channel. I think JJ makes better defensive reads at 13. Italy score throughout this tournament though, they have improved. England were very good all in all.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Simmonds looked good, a number 8 with pace is going to frighten a few opponents.

The worrying thing for England is the number of points Italy scored.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Simmonds looked good, a number 8 with pace is going to frighten a few opponents.

The worrying thing for England is the number of points Italy scored.

JBB, I don't disagree,but think we'll not be able to tell how good either England or Italy are until their next games.
I know they traditionally have one good game in every 6 nations, but I thought the Italians looked like a pretty useful team: they had a terrific full back,and a handy bloke I'd never seen before in the back row. [ I don't mean the mercurial Parise, whom I honestly think would walk into any side, either hemisphere.]
Patito

Post by Patito »

Parisse just doesn’t seem to age at all, outstanding player.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

Tenbury wrote:The Welsh....unimpressive, will have to do far better to even compete with Ireland or England.
The French,... Look defensively well organised.
The Irish.....Very professional.
The Scots.....yeah ,forget ball carrying,so last year..tag rugby is the way to go.....nonsense.
???? The welsh were unimpressive!? They destroyed Scotland. That was supposed to be a close contest! I think they performed the best out of anyone.

I thought Ireland were very lucky to get away with that win. Brilliant kick by Sexton who is world class but if they French guy had put away the penalty they would have lost. They got lucky, they won't always get lucky.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Tenbury wrote:
JBB, I don't disagree,but think we'll not be able to tell how good either England or Italy are until their next games.
I know they traditionally have one good game in every 6 nations, but I thought the Italians looked like a pretty useful team: they had a terrific full back,and a handy bloke I'd never seen before in the back row. [ I don't mean the mercurial Parise, whom I honestly think would walk into any side, either hemisphere.]
This I do agree with.

I think the England game will give us a good idea of where Wales are at. I think the Scotland game could be tougher than England think. I can't see Scotland playing that bad again in this tournament.

Same with Ireland. Very difficult to see how they're going to get on but they have an easy game next and I expect them to play more expanisve rugby and smash Italy by more points than England did.
Tenbury

Post by Tenbury »

TBH, I wasn't impressed by the Welsh, as I honestly think they looked quite sluggish, and relatively unimpressive up front.
It's hard to gauge really,as I think the Sots were so very,very poor. Regardless of any recent 'resurgence', how the hell they expect to play 6nations rugby while totally eliminating ball-carrying from their game is beyond me.
Georgia would have trounced them. (But don't start me on how unfairly they're treated).
jacko

Post by jacko »

I can't wait for Saturday. It's going to be a great game I think. These games seem to always be close.

Wales have an inexperienced side. It's going to be a big step up for them.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Personally, I hope we absolutely steamroll them, but I'm expecting a close game.